Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #31
KevinJ

Default Re: Fright Checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
A thought, based on other posts on this forum, you could even allow the expenditure of experience points to increase these abilities just as for attributes.
It used to say that you couldn't use EX to change Personality thingies, but it's not in the new rules. Personally, I allowed a character to increase his Bravery from 3 to 5 through game play.

If you could change a personality trait using XP, what could the cost be? 250xp for the 1st pount, 500xp for the second, 750 for the 3rd and so on, or doubling each additional point as in 250xo, 500xp, 1000xp, 2000xp, etc.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #32
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
It used to say that you couldn't use EX to change Personality thingies, but it's not in the new rules. Personally, I allowed a character to increase his Bravery from 3 to 5 through game play.

If you could change a personality trait using XP, what could the cost be? 250xp for the 1st pount, 500xp for the second, 750 for the 3rd and so on, or doubling each additional point as in 250xo, 500xp, 1000xp, 2000xp, etc.
Previously, prior to publication of ITL, there was extensive debate on the issue of experience points for attribute increases. One suggestion was posted by Steve Jackson on 06-11-2018, 06:18 PM #13. Something similar to that would, in my opinion be appropriate as a guide, but each GM should be allowed to alter as he sees fit.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #33
KevinJ

Quote:
Previously, prior to publication of ITL, there was extensive debate on the issue of experience points for attribute increases. One suggestion was posted by Steve Jackson on 06-11-2018, 06:18 PM #13. Something similar to that would, in my opinion be appropriate as a guide, but each GM should be allowed to alter as he sees fit.
I do not know what you are referring to, is there a link?
Old 05-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #34
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I do not know what you are referring to, is there a link?
sorry, I'm not computer illiterate, but I have trouble performing some things, like finding links for threads.

At any rate, the post I was referring to was posted on the fantasy trip forum under Experience Points and the specific post was the thirteenth one, posted on the date above.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #35
FireHorse

Quote:
sorry, I'm not computer illiterate, but I have trouble performing some things, like finding links for threads.

At any rate, the post I was referring to was posted on the fantasy trip forum under Experience Points and the specific post was the thirteenth one, posted on the date above.
I believe THIS is the post warhorse11h is talking about.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #36
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
I believe THIS is the post warhorse11h is talking about.
That's it, thanks
Old 05-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #37
hcobb

Seasoned: 8 + total attributes added through XP since starting.

So a 38 attribute human has a seasoned rating of 14 and since he's seen a great deal there's little left that will frighten him.

Why yes, it is the highly seasoned adventures that stick around long enough to be eaten by the great Cthulhu. Tasty!

Last edited by hcobb; 05-03-2019 at 03:00 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #38
JLV

At first glance, I'd say why not? Though I might restrict it to only some of them depending on what precisely the particular 2-12 continuum is for...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #39
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
At first glance, I'd say why not? Though I might restrict it to only some of them depending on what precisely the particular 2-12 continuum is for...
I would say nothing beyond 2-12 range as well. Although some Talents may give 1-4 bonus/penalty or +/-1-2 dice to the roll.

Toughness might give a -1 to the roll per level because you know you can take a licking and keep on ticking, but Scholar might give + dice because you KNOW just how dangerous the situation is...
Old 05-06-2019, 01:28 AM   #40
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Perhaps it's a new kind of mechanism -- creatures have a "frightfulness" factor assigned to them, and the Players have to roll against that number instead of one of their own characteristics; though that idea assumes that everyone always reacts to the creature in the same way, which presumably wouldn't be true either.
That's pretty much what I'm suggesting. I don't think that this approach necessarily means everyone reacts in the same way--just that all characters have an equal chance making their unmodified roll. If the character is a seasoned, brave adventurer, give them a bonus, or, if they fail their roll, just minimize the effect instead of having them flee in terror. Even the bravest of the brave can be momentarily stunned when encountering the horrifying.
Last year I proposed using the low, middle, or high attribute (abbreviated 3/L, 3/M, and 3/H for the three dice versions) for rolls that don't depend on a particular attribute but still get better with experience. If I recall correctly, I think M doesn't provide much variance -- I had the ranges in my post about this and the main issues I was trying to address were fear and social interaction, since IQ shouldn't provide an advantage in either situation.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, tft