Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
Anders

Default Burning out the Eyes

How would you stat a Burning attack that affects the eyes specifically. It does not cause Blindness directly, so Affliction is out. Rather, it damages the eyes and the eyes alone.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Burning out the Eyes

Burning Attack, Can Only Damage Eyes (-xx%); +10 Acc (+50%)
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #3
PseudoFenton

A Nuisance Effect that prevents you from targeting anything but eyes, and then otherwise a normal innate attack? Built in Acc/seeking etc might help to achieve the hit more often.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
How would you stat a Burning attack that affects the eyes specifically. It does not cause Blindness directly, so Affliction is out. Rather, it damages the eyes and the eyes alone.
1 pip tight beam burning attack, Sense-Based (+150%), Acc 15 (+60%), Affects Eyes Only (-10%) [6]. That will hit the eyes for 1 point of damage (modified by eye location as brain, which becomes 4), which will cripple the eye in one hit.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-25-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
Edman

Are you creating Aragorn?

This will not make sense unless you speak Swedish, and probably not even then, but... yeah. I couldn't resist.

- Baron von Münchausen
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #6
DavidSev

You might also want RoF 2 or something else to let you attack twice, so you can do both eyes at once.

Eyes have a wounding mod of x4, and if you do HP/10 then the eye is lost. Is that HP/10 before or after the wounding mod?
DavidSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSev View Post
Is that HP/10 before or after the wounding mod?
Before.

The x4 is for the attack entering the brain. This also means that if the attack is an innate Burn attack, then it won't get the x4. Or rather. Technically it wouldn't even be able to target the eyes, but I would allow it but omit the x4 bonus.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
DavidSev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Technically it wouldn't even be able to target the eyes, but I would allow it but omit the x4 bonus.
Eyes allow tight beam burning, and Skull says everything but Tox, so why not?

And if it's before the wounding mod then you probably want to up the attack to do 2 damage, most adventures will have more than 10 HP.
DavidSev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Before.

The x4 is for the attack entering the brain. This also means that if the attack is an innate Burn attack, then it won't get the x4. Or rather. Technically it wouldn't even be able to target the eyes, but I would allow it but omit the x4 bonus.
After, like all other crippling wounds.

A tight beam burning attack can target the eye and brain, at the normal x4, and the x4 does apply to the first point of damage (I guess the eyes have a x4 wounding modifier).
Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 AM   #10
PseudoFenton

Does it really need to be burning damage anyway? It's not like you're attempting to do enough damage to ignite their face due to the burning, I'd just call it a visual effect and leave it at that.

Unless the attack is going to be used specifically on things vulnerable to burning damage (and by that I actually mean has huge DR/IT with fire damage being the exception, again it's not like you need a lot of damage to cripple an eye so wounding multipliers thanks to weaknesses are unnecessary) there's very little reason other than poetic conformity to make it burning damage, imo.

Tags
attacks