Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 05-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
hcobb

Default The Goddess of Peace and Love

I'm thinking of writing an adventure where the party needs to stop a Halfling from taking over all of Cidri with her insidious religion of peace and love. (And a pinch of mind control magic of course.)

Would your murder hobos be able to pull the crossbow trigger on a target like that?
Old 06-05-2020, 12:01 AM   #2
Anomylous

Default Re: The Goddess of Peace and Love

Love the idea. If I were to run this, I definitely wouldn't frame it as a "kill the baddie, get paid" quest; your typical murderhobos will kill anyone and anything without a second thought, if they think they're supposed to and/or there's something in it for them. Instead, I'd introduce the Halfling Goddess of Peace, Love, and Probably Drugs as a helpful and likeable character, reveal the mind-control part later, and then let the players decide what they're going to do about it... if anything. That would need to be part of a larger campaign though; I don't think it would make a good stand-alone adventure, since the whole thing hinges on NOT setting her up as an obvious baddie... unless the stand-alone adventure also contained a Decoy Baddie (who might also be a legitimate baddie in their own right).

I notice you're posting this in the House Rules forum. Are you asking for some kind of homebrewed Will-save rule, to see if your characters can resist the halfling's wily charms long enough to chop off her head? If so, I can't help you, but maybe someone else has ideas.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:06 AM   #3
hcobb

Here's her stats
ST 6, DX 14, IQ 20
Silver Dagger Staff V (1d-1 / 1d+2 / 40 Mana) with Blur enchantment and 20 point powerstone in the hilt, Iron Flesh ring, Silver hand mirror and pointer necklace, Physicker's kit, several copies of her book.
Charisma, Common, Dagger Mastery, Detect Lies, Literacy, Master Bard, Master Physicker, Scholar, Sorcerers', Theologian.
7-Hex Fire, Aid, Cleansing, Control Elemental, Control Gate, Create/Destroy Elemental, Dazzle, Dissolve Enchantment, Drain Strength, Flight, Geas, Great Voice, Light, Lock/Knock, Look Your Best, Long-Distance Telepathy, Meal, Pathfinder, Persuasiveness, Remove Thrown Spell, Reverse Missiles, Regeneration, Revival, Scrying, Spell Shield, Spellsniffer, Staff V, Stalwart, Telepathy, Ward, Word of Command - Believe.

Note that once she has the dagger in hand it takes a DX of 18 to have better than auto hit so Greater Demons really ain't much of a threat to her.

Last edited by hcobb; 06-05-2020 at 06:23 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
Anomylous

I can think of a number of tactics that might work:

- Explosive Gem (has to be hefty enough to get past Iron Flesh – I'm assuming that and the Blur are self-powered because you're obviously Munchkinning the hell out of this. A 4-die blast should do the trick though.)
- Gas bomb (bring several, she's got a slightly better than 50% chance of dodging it.)
- Wear heavy armor + Iron Flesh of your own, tackle for HTH, have your buddies fire their crossbows into the fray. (I'd be worried about Reverse Missiles, but I can't find any rule that says figures can even attempt to cast spells while in HTH.)
- Contact Poison (at IQ 20 she's likely to notice it... but only if she thinks to check!)
- Have a Summoned creature (or a very expendable character) jump for HTH; Open Tunnel

Also, you don't need even half those spells in order to be staggeringly effective. Sure, they make her more versatile, but if you're clever, and really outstandingly good at one thing, that's often more than enough.

Edit: probably better make the Explosive Gem 5-6 dice just for insurance

Last edited by Anomylous; 06-05-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:41 PM   #5
hcobb

Blur and Iron Flesh are innately zero cost to use.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
Anomylous

Huh... So they are. Idk why I thought otherwise.