Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
abbath

Default Usable, unusable items and curses.

If I have an item usable only from (let's say) Dwarfs,but I'm not one,can I put it down sideways (just to clarify that it's not giving me bonuses) or must I keep it in my hand(and sell it discard it,etc)?

Also if I can put it down and it's let's say a shield and draw a curse to lose a shield,can I lose this item,or only from the ones that I use?

Edit: I reviewed the rules about 'carried' and 'equipped' items. If I didn't get it wrong, I can carry any items (even if they're usable only from a specific race,class or gender which I'm not),put them sideways in front of me and equip only those that I can use with my character and get bonuses from them. I also can carry only 1 item (unless I'm dwarf,have the cheat card,etc). Right? It seems I lost it in translation. The rules in english,make it more clear. But I still don't know if I can lose a carried item with a curse or only an equipped one.

Last edited by abbath; 11-28-2014 at 08:42 PM.
abbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Usable, unusable items and curses.

You are correct: You can carry any Item, which means you can play an Item you can't use, for whatever reason, unless a card says otherwise (e.g., Curse! Tiny Hands says you can't carry 2 Hands Items, which means you can't have them in play).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbath View Post
I also can carry only 1 item (unless I'm dwarf,have the cheat card,etc). Right?
I believe the word Big is missing in your question, and yes, you can only carry (i.e., have in play) one Big Item unless you're a Dwarf or have some other card which will carry the Item for you (say, Hireling), or otherwise says something different.

Quote:
It seems I lost it in translation. The rules in english,make it more clear. But I still don't know if I can lose a carried item with a curse or only an equipped one.
It depends on the wording of the Curse. "Lose 1 Small Item," it doesn't matter if you're using it or not. "Lose the Headgear your are wearing" is an instruction that says you lose all the headgear you are wearing (sometimes it's possible to be wearing more than one), so it must be equipped, not turned sideways for you to lose it. "Lose your headgear" takes all the Headgear you have in play, used and unused.

Somewhere I have Munchkin and Munchkin 2 in Italian, but I couldn't put my hands on them in short order, sadly. And, my Italian was never solid enough
to call what I have now as "rusty," so I don't know that I could point out translation errors. :-(
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
abbath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post

I believe the word Big is missing in your question, and yes, you can only carry (i.e., have in play) one Big Item unless you're a Dwarf or have some other card which will carry the Item for you (say, Hireling), or otherwise says something different.
Yeap sorry I meant big item!

Thx for the quick reply,you answered clear all of my questions!! That was really helpful!
abbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

No problem! Being helpful is our goal.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curse, items, unusable, usable