Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 08-26-2021, 07:11 AM   #31
kjamma4

Default Re: Silly Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Vehicle Design Left Unnamed At The Insistence Of Various Attorneys, Including Eon Productions, Universal Pictures, United Artists Releasing, and Danjaq
Is that located in your DataBase # 5?
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #32
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Is that located in your DataBase # 5?
I'm aston-ished one might ask.... ;)

Other Design Left Unnamed At The Insistence Of Various Attorneys:

Streamlined Luxury, Extra-Heavy chassis, Heavy suspension, Large power plant w/PC & SC, 4 Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver, Passenger, Rocket Launcher Front, 2 Linked Surface-to-Air Missiles Top, Minedropper Back w/10 Mines, Smokescreen Back, Heavy-Duty Brakes, Antilock Brakes, Radar, Amphibious Modifications, Metal Armor: F8, L8, R8, B8, T8, U7, Gear Allocation: [25 lbs. @ Top Speed 100], Acceleration 5, Top Speed 102.5, HC 3, 6575 lbs., $23400

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.

Last edited by 43Supporter; 08-26-2021 at 03:50 PM.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:18 PM   #33
ckosacranoid

So far now one has put up a very silly car or truck that has the most needed item in car wars or the real world if you live in Wisconsin.....

BEER FRIDGE...........many of them.
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:11 AM   #34
juris

No problem - the ultimate redneck truck. Obscene mudflaps and KC hi-lights not optional. The RR is a Winchester.

Longhorn -- Pickup, Extra-Heavy chassis, Off-Road suspension, Super power plant, Fire Extinguisher, 6 Off-Road Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver w/SWC and BA, Recoilless Rifle in Turret w/extra magazine and magazine switch and 10 shots HEAT and 10 shots Normal, Heavy-Duty Shocks, Roll Cage, Brushcutter, Long-Distance Radio, Armored Beer Refrigerator, Plastic Armor: F32, L30, R30, B30, T35, U12, 2 10-pt Wheelguards Back, 2 10-pt Wheelhubs Front, Cargo: [9 spaces plus 60 beverages, 906 lbs. @ Top Speed 90], Acceleration 5, Top Speed 97.5, HC 1, 6894 lbs., $24433

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckosacranoid View Post
So far now one has put up a very silly car or truck that has the most needed item in car wars or the real world if you live in Wisconsin.....

BEER FRIDGE...........many of them.
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:44 PM   #35
43Supporter

Not a "silly" design, but an unusual notion:

40' Van, 12 Solid tires, 2 Gunners, 4 Linked Machine Guns in Universal Turret Top Front, 4 Linked Machine Guns in Universal Turret Top Back, Flame Cloud Ejectors Left Back and Right Back and Back each w/extra magazine and 20 shots, Heavy-Duty Brakes, Antilock Brakes, No-Paint Windshield, Standard Kingpin, Tinted Windows, Left Side Door, Right Side Door, Improved Fire Extinguisher, Galley, 30x Pass. Accommodation, Link (all FCEs), Composite Metal/Plastic Armor: F18/10, LF18/10, LB18/10, RF18/10, RB18/10, B18/10, TF18/10, TB18/10, UF18/10, UB18/10, 6 10-pt Wheelguards, 6 10-pt Wheelhubs, 30825 lbs., $95650

Most cross-country buses can only carry a handful of passengers -- 16, tops. This unit, towed by a semi-tractor, can carry almost twice that many, in almost absolute security (note the armor); moreover, it can provide amenities like cooked meals. (Normal loadout is 28 passengers; the remaining two Pass-Acc are for the cook and "conductor".)

79er

Old 09-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #36
kjamma4

Sounds like how we were ferryied around base in basic training.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:25 AM   #37
swordtart

How do we normally work out how many passengers firing ports there are?

The rules aren't that specific. In a car it isn't usually an issue as the weight prohibits too many people, but a 40' Van trailer could accommodate up to 80 of them (assuming the 1 space per regular passenger). It doesn't seem credible that all 80 could actually fire.

On the basis that a pedestrian is a 1/4" counter I normally allow 1 port per 1/4" of counter (per side)*. For a 2.5" trailer counter that allows 10 shooters per side.

Of course you could argue that the 80 spaces are likely not in a 2 x 40 layout as the trailer counter is 1" high. Dividing the volume into 1/4" cubes means there are 4 x 2 x 10 cubes which is handily 80. So if the van interior were galleried we could maybe allow 40 firing passengers per side (though if we assume we lose half that for access it doesn't seem unreasonable). The higher firing ports might be able to attack top armour without penalty.

Unfortunately the same logic doesn't always work for the other vehicles, but maybe we can chalk that up to inefficiencies in the smaller vehicles and that the van trailer is one of the few that fills the entire counter rather than the vehicle being only part of it. To be fair it is unlikely that the bottom row of 1/4" cubes are useable as we need some ground clearance and even 3.75' seems low for a 40' trailer.

A 40' van with even 10 AVR armed passengers per side probably wouldn't need any vehicular weapons at all (maybe a few top ones for AA use - but it is likely to be ineffective so why bother). If pulled with a decent tractor unit you could probably put 20+ points of metal on a side and make your infantry virtually invulnerable (making the tractor the most attractive target)

*For really small vehicles I assume they can fire either side (but they need to spend a firing action to change sides). I was working up a 3 seater subcompact, but frankly it's a waste of electrons :) Now a trike would be good, especially as passengers can also target into the front arc. That will be my next project I think.

Last edited by swordtart; 09-11-2021 at 06:01 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:16 PM   #38
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
IMSMC: The accepted value was "one per 1/2" of counter facing". One per 1/4" might be viable, but it seems a bit crowded to me.

That said: That trailer's passengers shouldn't be firing back at anyone; the idea is they get to travel *without* having to worry about what's outside....

79er

Old 09-13-2021, 05:48 AM   #39
swordtart

Remember that 1/2" is 7.5 feet.

It sort of works for cars as that allows 2 ports per side and we probably imagine the standard 2 people in front and two in the back. Few cars will have more people in them than that as other components quickly burn through the remaining space.

However the wheels fall off this assumption once you talk about oversized vehicles and especially passenger vehicles. For the minibus (for example) at 1.5" you would only get 3 firing positions per side. This seems low. For a 40' van or full bus you would only have 5 firing positions per side which is frankly ludicrous.

I found the floorplan of a firing range and that stated 4'6" per bay. That is a lot closer to 3.75" than to 7.5". As a pedestrian counter is 1/4" square (ignoring the tab to help handling it) it seems neater to me that if you can fit the counter on the vehicle without overlapping then you can fire.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:45 PM   #40
juris

Simple answer: loud tableside argument is the traditional means of conflict resolution. Maybe drop a 'rules lawyer' to insure victory. This was designed for Sword's design contest on another thread.

My van with 6 passengers:

If you could fire all six of them at the same target it would be like a tank gun in Div 15. Fight hard for this.

Also argue that a Van is taller than every other vehicle so you should be allowed to fire the sunroof HAVR into the roof of every other car, for a one-shot kill on arena vehicles with 1 point of roof armor.

Hayride -- Van, Standard chassis, Light suspension, Large power plant, 10-pt CA (Power Plant), Fire Extinguisher, 4 Heavy-Duty tires, Driver w/BA and 10-pt CA, Passenger w/BA and 10-pt CA and Heavy Anti-Vehicular Rifle, Passenger w/BA and 10-pt CA and Heavy Anti-Vehicular Rifle, 4 Passengers each w/BA and 10-pt CA and Anti-Vehicular Rifle, Rocket Launcher Front w/10-pt CA, Smoke Mini Rockets Left and Right and Back each w/10-pt CA, Sunroof, Plastic Armor: F14, L11, R11, B12, T6, U6, 2 10-pt Wheelguards Back, 2 10-pt Wheelhubs Front, Cargo: [1 space, 25 lbs.], Acceleration 5, Top Speed 90, HC 0, 5975 lbs., $15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post

juris is offline   Reply With Quote