Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
mioss

Default I just bought Gurps Prime Directive and i'm very disappointed

First let me tell that i'm a long term Gurps fan, i began with the second edition when i was 18 and i'm now 37 and still playing and running Gurps campaign on a weekly basis.

I'm regularly amazed by the quality of Gurps books in terms of precision details and accuracy.

I'm also a star trek fan. I don't know if you would call me trekkies (i wouldn't), but i've got all the series at home and i rewatch episodes every now and then.

When i saw "Prime Directive" at my usual RPG shop, i bought without another thought.

Here came the winter of my pleasure ...

3/4 of the book is gurps lite system, which i was ready to understand.

But the Lore ... are outdated, to say the least. This book must have been written in 1980 at best. No update since Star Trek ToS.

I respectfully suggest the peoples responsible of this book to watch the 4 others series of star trek and specially the 4 seasons of "Enterprise" to avoid mistakes like :" it could be a good idea to run a campaign on the first warp 5 capable starship" it's the plot of the all serie ... or a joke ... (it isn't written like that of course, it was certainly written before the serie)

From my long experience with Gurps and SJGames i never was more disappointed.

My advice to star trek fans knowing the univers well is to buy the basic set, the space and the ultra tech and to go dig the internet or rewatch the series if you aim for a next gen campaign. My second advice would be to forget the Gurps "Prime directive" ever existed both for the good of your bank account and by respect for SJGames and all the people working for them.

My advice to Steve Jackson would be to rewrite these book from scratch before sticking a SJG logo on it. It isn't looking good on the old resume, to say the least

Me, i'm just returning Gurps Prime Directive to the shop ... i hate to lose hard earned money on such unuseful items.
mioss is offline   Reply With Quote