Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 09-25-2021, 08:00 AM   #71
Racer

Default Re: Silly Cars

Love your sales spiel !

You did forget the Front mounted VFRP in first design , but it's presence is implied by fourth VFRP mag . Minor stuff .

My Gas Powered version of my Battlehawk Chopper mounts many HMGs with Explosive Ammo in EWPs & a Turret . Eight ( or more ) HMGs chewing away at your stacks of lovely LR Metal Armour will ruin anyone's day .

Even managed to get a Light Tank's crew to surrender , as I was circling overhead & poured about 30 shots into their Top locations . Poor guys only had a VMG to return fire at that angle ...

Their actually lucky , as if I'd taken the 3×500lb Teleguided Bomb load out , they'd of been nothing left ...

Always keep something in your budget for Air Superiority craft guys ...
Old 09-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #72
swordtart

Last Gasp

Super Strafe 2041 by Swordtart

Std Helo
Super Plant w/ SC
Pilot, Gunner w/Xtra Driver Controls and HRSWC to laser
TL + LGL (F)
3 x 4 Space EWP (L,R,U) each with LG VFRP + Extra Mag with all 60 rounds LG
LG VFRP + Extra Mag with all 60 rounds LG (F)
3 CB All Linked
270 pts FP Armour
3 x 10 FP Armour (EWPs)
3 links
Cargo 3 spaces 256lb

$178500 14669lb

The Super Strafe doesn't give us anything extra to the Strafe 2041 other than costing more, having a greater weight capacity and given us 3 spaces back. It does however provide a useful baseline for the alternate 2 and 4 space weapon options.

Super Strafe 2041(MG)
Replace plant with Super with SCs and PCs.
Replace All VFRPs and extra mag with 4 linked MGs with 80 rounds explosive ammo.
Remove TL
Remove CBs and link
Cargo 6 spaces 83lb

$144150 15333lb

Super Strafe 2041(RL)
Replace plant with Super + PCs
Replace all VFRPs and extra mag with 2 linked RL each with 10 rounds LG ammo
Remove CBs and link
Add 4 Extra magazines each with 10 rounds LG ammo (to one RL in pair)
Cargo 2 spaces, 440lb

$137550 14000lb

Super Strafe 2041(RR)
Replace plant with Super + SCs
Replace all VFRPs and extra mag with 2 linked RR each with 10 rounds HESH ammo
Remove TL
Replace HRSWC with Cyberlink to front RR with extra magazine
Remove CBs and link
Add 4 extra magazines each with 10 rounds HESH
Cargo 1 spaces, 256lb

$139150 14666lb

Super Strafe 2041(BC)
Replace plant with Super + SCs
Replace all VFRPs and extra mag with BC each with 10 rounds HESH ammo
Remove TL
Replace HRSWC with Cyberlink to front BC with extra magazine
Remove CBs and link
Add 4 extra magazines each with 10 rounds HESH
Cargo 1 spaces, 456lb

$150650 14666lb

Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner. The Super Strafe 2041(RR) is the best of breed. The cyberlink makes it super accurate, the HESH rounds will strip armour better than anything else and the 2D damage per shot stands a good chance of blowing through as the metal gets depleted, plus you get spalling. It only has 120 rounds but every round will strip a point of metal (on average). Overall damage output the same as the 2041 MG version, and the same to hit, but 50% more metal stripping capability and actually cheaper despite having 4 space EWPs instead of 3 space ones.

The Super Strafe 2041(RL) runs it a close second, as it is a little cheaper, but you can't argue with HESH for metal stripping and smoke might also impact the LG. I am also far more comfortable paying under $53 per shot.

Last edited by swordtart; 09-28-2021 at 10:57 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:13 PM   #73
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Love your sales spiel !
Ta :)

Quote:
You did forget the Front mounted VFRP in first design , but it's presence is implied by fourth VFRP mag . Minor stuff .
Good spot. I have confimed it was included in the calculations. Fixed now.

Quote:
My Gas Powered version of my Battlehawk Chopper mounts many HMGs with Explosive Ammo in EWPs & a Turret . Eight ( or more ) HMGs chewing away at your stacks of lovely LR Metal Armour will ruin anyone's day
I need to put a Cobra together - lots of ewp rockets and a chin turret A/C with plenty of in body ammo. But that isn't silly enough for this thread :) I forgot gas plants are in UCAFH. Of course if you want the last word in Helo killers, there is the Airship :)

Last edited by swordtart; 09-25-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:02 PM   #74
Racer

Another fairly silly design was the Firepower Luxury on page 20 of VG2 .

Almost $30K for a car with PR Tires , 6pt Hubs & Guards , only a total 100pts of Armour & no Computers in sight ...

It is I suppose a nice idea , but just doesn't work: you'd be lucky to get off 3 or 4 shots using it before your crippled or destroyed .

Upping in to a $40K Model - with Super PP & Fire Extinguisher swapped for Large PP w/SCs , Fireproof Armour , Component Armour & a Hi-Res helps a bit , but not much .
Those VMGs are too heavy & often woefully underused to justify mounting them .

It's a bit like the King Dragon (page 24 VG1) - all 'heavy weaponry over common sense' . Can only recall a King Dragon being used twice in our 1980's games & neither times did it last long .
Old 09-27-2021, 12:37 AM   #75
swordtart

Quote:
...you'd be lucky to get off 3 or 4 shots using it before your crippled or destroyed .

...It's a bit like the King Dragon (page 24 VG1) - all 'heavy weaponry over common sense' .
Eggshells armed with sledge hammers, it's not a new idea. The argument with ships though was they were fast and manoeuvrable (and didn't engage at ludicrously short range).
Old 09-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #76
juris

Also love the sales pitch lol

Eggshell with hammer vehicles are the best for kids - don't forget the fun of doing insane amounts of damage then dying before your attention span expires
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:54 PM   #77
43Supporter

Quote:
Another fairly silly design was the Firepower Luxury on page 20 of VG2 .

Almost $30K for a car with PR Tires , 6pt Hubs & Guards , only a total 100pts of Armour & no Computers in sight ...
Designs like that are why the "stock" engine in that Div. was a turbo-150-cid; past about Div. 20, electrics just weren't weight-effective.

Of course, ripping out the plant and adding a gasburner doesn't help much....

Luxury, Extra-Heavy chassis, Heavy suspension, 150 cid engine w/VP Turbocharger, 10-pt CA (Engine), Fire Extinguisher, 5-gal Duelling Tank w/10-pt CA, 4 Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver w/10-pt CA, 2 Linked Autocannons Front, 2 Linked Vulcan Machine Guns Back, Plastic Armor: F40, L30, R30, B40, T5, U5, 2 6-pt Wheelguards Back, 2 6-pt Wheelhubs Front, Gear Allocation: [9 lbs.], Acceleration 10, Top Speed 62.5, HC 3, 6591 lbs., $34290

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #78
swordtart

I also have an issue with vehicles with too many weapon systems. Basically ideally you have a dedicated gunner firing the aimed weapons and the driver handling the DWs.

A man with one gun knows what to fire, a man with two guns is never quite sure.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #79
43Supporter

Taking the _'37 Moose_ approach to the _Firepower_:

Luxury, Extra-Heavy chassis, Heavy suspension, Super power plant, 10-pt CA (Power Plant), Fire Extinguisher, 4 Puncture-Resistant tires, Driver w/10-pt CA, 2 Linked Autocannons Front, Flame Cloud Ejector Back, Plastic Armor: F40, L30, R30, B40, T11, U11, 2 6-pt Wheelguards Back, 2 6-pt Wheelhubs Front, Acceleration 5, Top Speed 100, HC 3, 6596 lbs., $26480

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #80
juris

That's not a Glass Cannon. This is a Glass Cannon:

Sales Pitch - Better than the Firepower, with more firepower.

Glass Cannon -- Heavy Trike, Extra-Heavy chassis, Heavy suspension, Super Cycle power plant w/PC & SC, 3 Motorcycle Heavy-Duty tires, Driver w/TC and BA and PFE, Blast Cannons Left and Right, Link (both BCs), Plastic Armor: F30, L24, R24, B24, T23, U10, 10-pt Cycle Wheelguard Front, 2 10-pt Wheelguards Back, Gear Allocation: [5 lbs.], Acceleration 5, Top Speed 90, HC 2, 3355 lbs., $19940

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Taking the _'37 Moose_ approach to the _Firepower_:
juris is offline   Reply With Quote