Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Miniatures

Old 12-16-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
Worldwalker

Default What's your printer?

Some chat on Discord led me to wonder: What does everyone have for a 3D printer? Or printers?

I'll start:

Two Creality Ender 3 Pro FDM printers
Two Elegoo Mars 2 Pro resin printers
An Elegoo Mercury wash/cure station

I'm also waiting for the Elegoo Jupiter really-honking-huge resin printer that I backed on Kickstarter, which they claim will be shipped in January (I'll believe that when there's a delivery person with a hernia at my front door). That will simultaneously solve the problem of the small beds on my existing resin printers and the problem of me having any remaining table space. Wait, was that last bit a problem?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #2
MattF

Default Re: What's your printer?

Elegoo Mars 2 Pro and an Elegoo Mercury Plus wash and cure. I received both about a week ago and have been impressed with the ease of setup and quality of prints even for a complete newbie. I suspected when I purchased it that Worldwalker would be a resource for answers, guidance and encouragement and I have not been disappointed. : )
MattF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
dntimm

My 3D printer is a Wanhao i3 clone It does okay, but need to be fiddled with every time. I also have a Mono price that is at my brothers house for him to play with.

I haven't played with a resin printer as I don't have a place to isolate it due the resin fumes. Yes I know there not bad, but we have family that could react badly.

I have a question on what slicer people are using? I am using Cura, but other may have other thoughts?

-D
dntimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
MattF

I use Chitubox, which the Mars 2 uses. It is easy, intuitive and has worked very well so far. : )
MattF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
Worldwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dntimm View Post
My 3D printer is a Wanhao i3 clone It does okay, but need to be fiddled with every time. I also have a Mono price that is at my brothers house for him to play with.

I haven't played with a resin printer as I don't have a place to isolate it due the resin fumes. Yes I know there not bad, but we have family that could react badly.

I have a question on what slicer people are using? I am using Cura, but other may have other thoughts?

-D
I use Cura for FDM printing and Chitubox for resin. Fat Dragon Games has some excellent Cura profiles that really improved my filament prints. They link them from their YouTube videos, which I also highly recommend.

My big problem is that most of the printers are in the kitchen, and I like pasta. This is an issue with PLA filament -- it gets brittle very easily. I have to run the drying box before I print. (the practical solution would be, I know, move the printers out of the kitchen)

You might want to look into some of the low-odor resins. I just use standard resin, and I'm one of those people who would be expected to react badly, as I get splitting headaches from all sorts of things, from mildew VOCs to carb cleaner, so a low-odor resin would probably work. I have more problems with alcohol for washing; I'm thinking of trying water-washable resin for that reason.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
JCJones

Creality CR-10 and a Peopoly Phenom.
JCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #7
Skipper2921

Mine is a Creality Ender3 V2 purchased at the end of October. The Fat Dragon profiles improved the quality of my prints considerably. It would've taken a while for me to get to that point. Their profiles really smooth the prints. The FDM printers don't have the fine details, but if the design is right you can still make a decent mini.

I plan to purchase the recommended Elegoo resin machine in March or so.

I'm using Cura for FDM prints. Mainly because it is the only thing I have tried.
Skipper2921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:14 PM   #8
MiB3027

I have a menagerie.

Resin: Creality LD-002H

FDM: Ender 3 x2
Ender 3 Pro x2
Geeetech A10T
Sculpto2 x2
Polaroid Playmaker

Last edited by MiB3027; 03-11-2022 at 08:30 PM. Reason: I got more printers!
MiB3027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:06 AM   #9
ColinK

My printer is a Monoprice IIIP fused filament machine.

I'm thinking maybe I'll add an Elegoo in 2022.

How many of you with Elegoo and similar 3D printers use them in your homes and if so, how bad are the complaints about resin and wash chemical odors?

Technically, I use Cura for slicing software because that's the slicer default in my Repetier-Host 3D printer. So far, I'm happy with the Repetier-Host user interface but will probably test Cura eventually.

I use Rhino for 3D CAD to create non-organic STLs.

Might begin to look at Blender or Zbrush for creatures, people, vegetation, etc.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
TRumbach

Lotmaxx Shark V2. (This went back as the Auto Level didn't work)

I started the hobby in October. Much fiddling and learning. Once the kickstarter is delivered, a resin printer will be on the table (where to find room near a window).

Elegoo Mars 2 Pro and Mercury wash/cure station V2.

I'm a complete noob and this. I'll be asking a ton of questions.

Last edited by TRumbach; 02-03-2022 at 08:24 AM.
TRumbach is offline   Reply With Quote