Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #31
Tomsdad

Default Re: Survivable Guns Realism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
...And swap it out for a semi auto rifle or shotgun loaded with 00 buck and you tend to rapidly get to "get hit more than once (unarmored) and the fight is over."....
Good example of what I was talking about 00 buck is (1d6+1)/2 Pi using this system so what 2pts a hit?

Going at 3x9 Rof is what +4 to hit and at Rcl1 you'll get more hits but you'll need a lot or a lucky hit to a vital.

Sorry to pick out one thing, but I have a bad habit of writing long posts ;-)
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #32
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
1). Not sure getting crippled by a shot to the arm is wrong
The problem is that it's currently pretty much automatic, while in reality (and particularly in fiction) people can and have continued functioning. Some of the issue may well be the fact that GURPS uses automatic crippling thresholds. I've said it before, but crippling should typically allow an HT roll to avoid (success by 5+ avoids crippling, success is temporary, failure is lasting, critical failure is permanent, and really bad wounds impose a penalty to the check).

Quote:
2). Not sure getting shot three times in the torso isn't a reasonable risk of death, but it's still not the 'lots of lucky rolls' you cite (there are as ever lots of variables)
Getting shot three times in the Torso without hitting the Vitals should a) risk knocking you down/out by shock and pain (pretty much an instant effect), and b) risk bleeding to death. As it stands, getting shot three times in the Torso without hitting the Vitals is going to slow you down markedly, almost certainly render you unconscious within a few seconds, and possibly kill you outright.

Quote:
3). Things like random hit locations will make a big difference to what your citing.
If talking about three shots to the Torso that don't hit the Vitals, random hit locations don't matter, because we've already established where the bullets are hitting.

Quote:
4). Halving the basic damage gets you weird results in many cases.
Tiny bullets are nearly useless in the short term unless they hit something rather important, or incapacitate the target solely through psychological effects (ohcrapIjustgotshot!).

Quote:
5). The penetration cap give the same results as halving damage in many cases without the weird results.
Depends on how you're implementing it, and it still probably causes an excessive amount of bleeding. Also, a bullet that goes all the way through the torso without hitting anything important isn't going to impede a combatant (outside of bleeding) beyond the initial shock, while in GURPS it will render them incapable of action within seconds.
Of course, halving damage doesn't really address this problem (I assume the blowthrough caps are still the same).

Quote:
6). If you really don't like crippled limbs from Pi wounds, change how Pi wounds cripple limbs.
Now here's a good idea. Pi+, Pi++, and Imp already don't get their increased wounding against limbs. The concept of, say, halving the wounding modifier of any Pi attack (so pi- is 1/4, pi is 1/2, etc) against limbs makes some deal of sense.

EDIT:
Quote:
Good example of what I was talking about 00 buck is (1d6+1)/2 Pi using this system so what 2pts a hit?

Going at 3x9 Rof is what +4 to hit and at Rcl1 you'll get more hits but you'll need a lot or a lucky hit to a vital.
+5, actually. A shot that would have just-hit with a slug (MoS 0) will instead hit with 6 pellets (MoS 5), which even with damaged halved is going to incapacitate an HP 12 person. Without damage halved, those 6 pellets - none of which have hit a vital location, mind you - have a decent chance of killing the target outright.

Last edited by Varyon; 05-20-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #33
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
OK, but there's more than one (there normally is).

But to summerise:

1). Not sure getting crippled by a shot to the arm is wrong

2). Not sure getting shot three times in the torso isn't a reasonable risk of death, but it's still not the 'lots of lucky rolls' you cite (there are as ever lots of variables)

3). Things like random hit locations will make a big difference to what your citing.

4). Halving the basic damage gets you weird results in many cases.

5). The penetration cap give the same results as halving damage in many cases without the weird results.

6). If you really don't like crippled limbs from Pi wounds, change how Pi wounds cripple limbs.

Simple's
Thank you, I do appreciate it. Getting crippled by a shot to the arm isn't wrong, but the frequency with even lower power firearms doesn't seem right to me. If you get shot three times in the torso, unless they hit the vitals, you should be in danger of bleeding to death but not incapacitated, generally. Handguns are just not that effective. Random hit locations do make a big difference, but the most common hit locations are still torso and limbs. As for the weird results, I agree that you need to get shot a LOT in nonvital areas with a pi- hangun round to be in danger of immediate incapacitation as opposed to bleeding to death later. James Bond uses a PPK because he's an excellent shot and it's super concealable, not because it's so effective a man stopper (though he'd probably be carrying JHP, not ball ammo like most people who know what they're doing).

Quote:

Sorry to pick out one thing, but I have a bad habit of writing long posts ;-)
Well, I'd just call that 1d-1 per pellet (4.5 avg dam halved, roughly equivalent). And as you note, rcl 1, plus it's a long arm so if you aim.... One shell would severely ruin your day. Three from a semiauto would really really ruin your day, most likely. And if you're hitting the torso and rolling 1d6 to see if you hit the vitals on a bunch of those....

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #34
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The problem is that it's currently pretty much automatic, while in reality (and particularly in fiction) people can and have continued functioning. Some of the issue may well be the fact that GURPS uses automatic crippling thresholds. I've said it before, but crippling should typically allow an HT roll to avoid (success by 5+ avoids crippling, success is temporary, failure is lasting, critical failure is permanent, and really bad wounds impose a penalty to the check)..
I agree automatic effects are seldom good (or even realistic) but I think "and particularly in fiction" is rather telling.

Also it's not actually all that automatic

Take the .45 against a ST10 Arm it need to roll a 6+ now that less than an average roll but its not an automatic roll (28% of it not happening)

the 9mm is more a certainty though.

Quote:
Getting shot three times in the Torso without hitting the Vitals should a) risk knocking you down/out by shock and pain (pretty much an instant effect), and b) risk bleeding to death. As it stands, getting shot three times in the Torso without hitting the Vitals is going to slow you down markedly, almost certainly render you unconscious within a few seconds, and possibly kill you outright.
No sure those are all that different. Shock can kill after all. To be honest I'm going to see the survival rates of being shot three times in the torso without hitting a vitals organ before I start believing its just a matter of bleeding to death.

Quote:
If talking about three shots to the Torso that don't hit the Vitals, random hit locations don't matter, because we've already established where the bullets are hitting.
No I'm talking about just getting shot three times, then it makes difference. Each limb wound will be capped at 6 pts, if they are low rolls and your already at heavily wounded and your using last wounds then they won't count etc. etc.

Quote:
Tiny bullets are nearly useless in the short term unless they hit something rather important, or incapacitate the target solely through psychological effects (ohcrapIjustgotshot!).
That's fine but Pi- already does this, I think James Bond having to empty his clip into his target to get him to less than 1/3HP is over stating it.

Quote:
Depends on how you're implementing it, and it still probably causes an excessive amount of bleeding. Also, a bullet that goes all the way through the torso without hitting anything important isn't going to impede a combatant (outside of bleeding) beyond the initial shock,
I think you'll need to back that up especially as beyond the initial shock can mean a lot of different things in RL (i.e it coudl be just a shock penalty in GURPS terms, but it could also mean failing that HT check to stay upright)

Quote:
while in GURPS it will render them incapable of action within seconds.
Of course, halving damage doesn't really address this problem (I assume the blowthrough caps are still the same).
Well it would in the case of pistol rounds, but won't for rifle rounds

Quote:
Now here's a good idea. Pi+, Pi++, and Imp already don't get their increased wounding against limbs. The concept of, say, halving the wounding modifier of any Pi attack (so pi- is 1/4, pi is 1/2, etc) against limbs makes some deal of sense.
I was using the already RAW adjustment to damage types to justify it in my head I admit.

If nothing else it will restrict auto crippling, but I like your HT roll idea as well

Last edited by Tomsdad; 05-20-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #35
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
, I agree that you need to get shot a LOT in nonvital areas with a pi- hangun round to be in danger of immediate incapacitation as opposed to bleeding to death later. .
It might go back to Anthony's increased variability of wounding but even with RAW it requires a good damage roll on Critical Hit to the Vitals with a damage multiplier on the table (very rare) to kill an average man with a .22/.25.

I know of a case where a SWAT guy died from a single hit from a .25 ACP. It went through the arm hole in his tac vest and dropped him in no more than a second. You need the Vitals hit and a decent damage roll just to get the possibility of a failed Consciousness Roll.

Skull hits can be even worse for P- guns because of the Skull's DR2 (which probably shouldn't apply to anything but Cr damage type). I know P- hits to the brain are sometimes survivable but there are a lot of people who have been killed by them too.

So no halving for small caliber guns. It really looks like it's only full power 7D rifles and maybe 5D carbines that see really excessive wounding and we have a modified blowthrough rule in HT to cover them.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #36
Anthony

Quote:
I agree automatic effects are seldom good (or even realistic) but I think "and particularly in fiction" is rather telling.

Also it's not actually all that automatic
It is for rifle-class weapons. To cripple someone's arm with a bullet you basically need to either hit and break the bone, or you need to sever a nerve or tendon; most hits to muscle will only impair function. With a rifle that's should be around 1 in 3, since most rifles will shatter bone if they hit it, with a pistol it's less, since pistol rounds have a pretty fair chance to deflect off of bone.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #37
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It might go back to Anthony's increased variability of wounding but even with RAW it requires a good damage roll on Critical Hit to the Vitals with a damage multiplier on the table (very rare) to kill an average man with a .22/.25.

I know of a case where a SWAT guy died from a single hit from a .25 ACP. It went through the arm hole in his tac vest and dropped him in no more than a second. You need the Vitals hit and a decent damage roll just to get the possibility of a failed Consciousness Roll.

Skull hits can be even worse for P- guns because of the Skull's DR2 (which probably shouldn't apply to anything but Cr damage type). I know P- hits to the brain are sometimes survivable but there are a lot of people who have been killed by them too.

So no halving for small caliber guns. It really looks like it's only full power 7D rifles and maybe 5D carbines that see really excessive wounding and we have a modified blowthrough rule in HT to cover them.
A single shot to the vitals with a crit that increases damage will accomplish that. And no, .22 LR have a history of bouncing off (well, ricocheting off of and then messily blowing out the back of the scalp) people's skulls. Though do remember all bullets are getting AD (2) in this proposal.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 05-20-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #38
Fred Brackin

[QUOTE=Crakkerjakk;1764437, .22 LR have a history of bouncing off (well, ricocheting off of and then messily blowing out the back of the scalp) people's skulls.[/QUOTE]

_Sometimes_. They also have a history of killing people stone cold dead with a bullet to the brain sometimes.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #39
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
_Sometimes_. They also have a history of killing people stone cold dead with a bullet to the brain sometimes.
Close in, or through the eye. At range they do tend to deflect a lot. And a max damage roll to the skull or eye will pretty effectively drop someone and make them rapidly bleed to death, with very little chance of surgical intervention due to it being a wound to the brain.

Anyway, I'll admit that you start to lose some edge cases with this system with very small rounds with not much powder, but it's pretty rare that I see these used in my games. It fixes actual problems I've seen in my games for the vast majority of weapon types actually used, and it's still pretty close for the smaller weapons, so meh.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Crakkerjakk; 05-20-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #40
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
In GURPS, .22 and .25 is more likely to penetrate the skull and immediately incapacitate the target than it is to bounce off the skull. While it's unlikely to kill instantly, there's a good chance of inflicting a fatal wound via bleeding.

Though for more realistic results, we should probably have hits that fail to penetrate the skull instead count as face hits, so the person will still take 1-2 points of damage.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, firearms, optional rules, pyramid #3/44, pyramid 3/44, survivable guns