Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
nik1979

Default Problems HT, Appearance, Fitness and Vitality

HT! allows me to purchase HT15 for 10cp (or if I'm playing a 100 disad game, i know where my -40 cp is going to come from).

Running in B354 is a great Basis to measure effort over time.
  • Sprinting or Running is Equal to Maximum Performance over Time (15 sec)
  • Paced Running is Sustained Performance over time (1 min)
Basically with HT15, I lose 1FP 4.6% per time increment (I need to roll about 20x to fail an HT15 roll). So compared to someone who has HT10, who loses 1FP 50% of the time, running for 12 increments or 3 mins, before losing 6FP. While, a person with HT15 can run for about 30 mins.

If you are going to use B354 as an "standard" measure of effort over time, then it stands reasonable to have HT15 perform x10 better than HT10 (without benefit of speed or extra FP).

Now Compare this to Fit and Very Fit to the equation. For 5cp, I get to recover 100% faster, for 15cp I can half my FP consumption. If I was working on a budget, reasonably Very Fit does a lot more when your GM doesn't use for B354 as a standard of effort. But if Your GM follows the B354 standard, then HT!15 trumps Very Fit. Not only does it trump very fit, it is immediately identifiable with the character (people will comment that the character looks great, fit, etc. ).

Now, given how HT works in B354 Why is fitness separate from HT? In my circle of GURPS GMs, no one uses B354 except me, so I guess its not a problem but...

I've frequently encountered situations (in airsoft) that calls for HT+Stealth, HT+Climbing, HT+jumping, and HT in general for many actions. B354 actually comes close to simplifying and reflecting what goes on in action scenario IMO, since my players are my fellow airsofters they pretty much concur on our observation on how HT is the more dominant Stat and not DX.

Now, HT has become pretty important in my groups play style. I'm wondering how do i fix HT because the separation of Fitness from HT kinda complicates my game.

I was thinking if using T20's rules and instead of tracking FP, simplify it to endurance "Saves" and the margin of failure will measure the status of the player. Now my problem with this is that it may solve the inconsistency of HT, Fitness and B354 depending on how I implement it.

Should I make a HT15 = a Performance of HT15 and Very fit (x20 better than HT10) and +100% Recovery?

Appearance and HT. Can we default Sex Appeal and Carousing with HT15? (Sex appeal or Carousing -11). If we can, the strange implications are its affect on the value of Appearance. I know Appearance affects the Reaction Roll and the Sex Appeal Roll, while HT will affect the Influence roll, but how would HT be affected if Appearance would be Built into HT?
MIB#2428

Last edited by nik1979; 06-05-2009 at 03:58 AM. Reason: editing mistakes
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
giganerds

Default Re: Problems HT, Appearance, Fitness and Vitality

God, I running low today... I need to read your first question with more care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1979 View Post

Appearance and HT. Can we default Sex Appeal and Carousing with HT15? (Sex appeal or Carousing -11). If we can, the strange implications are its affect on the value of Appearance. I know Appearance affects the Reaction Roll and the Sex Appeal Roll, while HT will affect the Influence roll, but how would HT be affected if Appearance would be Built into HT?
You can default any skill by any attribute, since it not 20+.

This is not necessary varying the appearance, your can have a competent character in a couple of ways. with HT 15 you are shinning fisical vitality, which by GURPS terms can help you to be more interesting to the opposite sex, or stay in a party more long, without be drunk, whatever, withoot training.

Remeber, you can be effective in Sex Appeal having a better appearance, receiving the bonus of your reaction.

The first case, involves more then physical appearance, it'smore like a subconscient species preservation signal, you have good genes to spread!!! ;)

Tags
appearance, fitness, health, optional rules