Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2023, 06:48 PM   #11
stranger38

Default Re: Danger Sense Role Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
One way I've done it in the past is déjà vu. That is, in one case where something was going to be "thrown" at such a PC's head, he got a sense of déjà vu that this was going to happen as he approached the applicable place/time, and reactively ducked. (And in the case where this happened in game, hit another PC :P )
Ahhh nice description!
stranger38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:22 PM   #12
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger38 View Post
how do you guys roleplay danger sense?
Roleplay? Ahhh... it's up to the Player and how the 'power' works. IE, is it mundane, or psionic, or magically induced, etc.

From you're description I'll presume good old fashioned 'mundane', Magnum's "Little Voice", or that "itch on the back off the neck that says somehting is fishy".

For my my money as a GM I've upgraded Danger Sense a tad, it's already using a Per roll, so if the roll was good enough to spot something amiss, I give them something amiss.

Example: Criminal is hiding behind a dumpster waiting to bushwhack the PC, they make their Danger Sense with enough MoS to have beaten the criminal's Stealth? I flat out say something like "This alley is where you always walk to go home and you remember that you've upset a bunch criminals recently... in fact as you enter the alley you can hear the scuff of a shoe from behind the dumpster..." and then let the Player decide how they want to approach the situation.

If it's just a successful DS roll, but not enough to beat the ambusher's stealth, I give them the above first sentence without the mentioned "scuff of a shoe from behind the dumpster".

As for beefing the Advantage up, if they are ambushed the PC always gets a defense against the first turn of successful attacks, even if it's not normally allowed, and they get a bonus if they would be allowed a defense. The bonus is 1/2 the MoS of the Danger Sense roll rounded down. Also, I treat Danger Sense like Combat Reflexes if the roll is successful, they can't be surprised in an ambush.

Why? Because my Players almost never take Danger Sense because the Advantage is "too wishy-washy" as to what it gives. Also, I've seen similar things added on in different genre treatments, and I agree with them.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:44 AM   #13
Lancewholelot

I usually tell the player that the hairs on the back of their neck stand up. I like the ears prickling description up thread. When I'm not going for flavor, I just say "Your Spidey-sense is tingling."

Last edited by Lancewholelot; 01-25-2023 at 12:44 AM. Reason: typo
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:53 AM   #14
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
That's all he gets: when his ears start prickling, something bad's about to happen. Any further insight's up to the players to figure out.
Pretty sure they can do stuff like "I'm using a concentrate maneuver to focus on listening to the sounds around me" to gain further input on sense rolls
Old 01-25-2023, 06:07 AM   #15
The Colonel

I remember a comic where the character had some sort of supernatural warning depicted as a partially functioning neon shop sign, something, IIRC to do with cheque cashing and cashback (maybe "checks cashed, sell your unwanted jewellery for cash back" or something) where only the words "check ... your ... back" were still lit...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:41 AM   #16
RGTraynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Pretty sure they can do stuff like "I'm using a concentrate maneuver to focus on listening to the sounds around me" to gain further input on sense rolls
Well, that WOULD encompass "any further insight's up to the players to figure out." The ear-prickling thing isn't an aural cue.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:34 PM   #17
StevenH

I had a character with this that I got to play for a (too) short time. One of the side effects of Danger Sense is that others end up thinking you are lucky.

(My character was a pilot during WWI, flying a Bristol F2B (two seater with pilot and gunner/observer. He was the pilot all of the observers wanted to fly with, because he seemed really good at avoiding getting shot down.)

StevenH

My current worldbuilding project. You can find the Adventure Logs of the campaign here. I try to write them up as narrative prose, with illustrations. As such, they are "embellished" accounts of the play sessions.

Link of the moment: Bestiary of Plants. In a world of mana, plants evolved to use it as an energy source.

It is also the new home of the Alaconius Lectures, a series of essays about the various Colleges of Spells.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:59 PM   #18
Plane

Interesting idea - you could take Link +20% on your Danger Sense and if it succeeds it will automatically focus the attention of any other sense you have Link+20% on in on the source of that danger?

That or I'm misreading PU4p11's "Modifying Other Characteristics" ?

The example given (+20% on Hearing and Vision) is "if he hears something, he doesn’t have to make a second roll to see it, and vice-versa"

This is potentially very useful for where there's very bad lighting (it's hard to make a vision check with a -9 penalty) since you could bypass the vision check entirely so long as your Danger Sense went off.

I figure this only works if you could possibly make the roll on a perfect 3 though. If penalties are enough that it guaranteed failure on your sense roll I don't think a success on a +20% sense ought to give that auto-success.

Tags
danger sense, modifying characteristics