Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #41
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: The 2013 e23 Releases and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondescript handle View Post
A somewhat related question: I perceive Hellsgate as a test balloon for a continuation of online Pyramids 'Riggsby's strange fantasy city states' series (Amadan/Aulos/Uxuloth/Saroo/Kunruk) in a longer 30 page format.
More in my mind than theirs, but yeah, kinda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nondescript handle View Post
How successful was that test case (if it was indeed such a thing) from your perspective? How possible is it that more strange cities in this style will follow?
Of my recent books, it's had the slowest sales. Constantinople, which was released two months later, has already outsold it. On the other hand, it was very easy to write; I could crank those out quickly and on a regular basis (though PK contributed the important monster stats; my doing that would add more to the editing load). But ultimately the question is how profitable it is for SJ Games, and that's data I don't have access to.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM   #42
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Of my recent books, it's had the slowest sales. Constantinople, which was released two months later, has already outsold it. On the other hand, it was very easy to write; I could crank those out quickly and on a regular basis (though PK contributed the important monster stats; my doing that would add more to the editing load). But ultimately the question is how profitable it is for SJ Games, and that's data I don't have access to.
I'm in kind of the same position with Worminghall. I have material for four other fantastic cities that could be put into a similar format, but it depends on the profit margin—for which Worminghall provides relevant data. Worminghall is a relatively slow selling title, especially compared to Social Engineering, which took off like a rocket.

Bill Stoddard
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #43
nondescript handle

Turhan's Bey Company & whswhs, thank you both for your perspective.

Let's hope that SJG can afford (and is willing to) put out some mid-length PDFs with reasonably generic but interesting setting elements (like your cities) each year.
I really think they make GURPS as a system more accessible and easier to use. If only by providing examples how to describe a part (or a whole sandbox) of a setting.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #44
adm

Can't really improve on what nondescript handle said.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #45
Mateus

Oh! I did not saw this new e23 Releases thread. Thak you guys (again) for the work. What we will receive today? Let spend some money!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #46
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Nothing today so far. Could be they're still recovering from the holiday season. :-)
Old 01-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #47
Paulon

I'm surprised that the Ogre let them have a holiday season. ;-)
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #48
ULFGARD

Nothing new, and with the day waning, I don't expect anything. This is an OUTRAGE! In protest, I'm leaving the USA for Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm in kind of the same position with Worminghall. I have material for four other fantastic cities that could be put into a similar format, but it depends on the profit margin—for which Worminghall provides relevant data. Worminghall is a relatively slow selling title, especially compared to Social Engineering, which took off like a rocket.

Bill Stoddard
I wonder if settings and such don't get the short shrift from GURPS buyers given the tendency to want to create a singular vision. Personally, though, I've been trying to figure out how to stick Worminghall into my fantasy game, and I think I've figured out how. I also hope to use it in a setting I'm working up for MH. And as for Hellsgate... With minor modifications it already EXISTS in my game world (I had a region in which this just makes sense). But perhaps I'm different...

Even so, I've purchased and integrated concepts from the Thaumatology worked examples and all of the Locations books into ongoing campaigns. It just makes sense to do so, plus they're interesting in their own right. So I hope that these lines aren't DOA, or get overlooked.

Last edited by ULFGARD; 01-10-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #49
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Car Wars: Midville is the release today.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #50
Paulon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
Nothing new, and with the day waning, I don't expect anything. This is an OUTRAGE! In protest, I'm leaving the USA for Canada.
You can stop packing. They released more Car Wars. A location named Midville.
Closed Thread

Tags
2013, e23, speculation