Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 12-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Steven Marsh

Default File Updating Behind the Scenes

Greetings, all,

Many older SJ Games e23 items are stored in ZIP files, owing to technical limitations when e23 was launched. However, in the nine years since then (where does the time go?!?), we've mostly overcome those issues... and, with the rise of tablet computers, we recognize how convenient it is to be able to download PDFs directly from your e23 library. To that end, we're going through SJ Games' offerings and -- as time allows and priorities dictate -- tweaking PDFs to store them without ZIP files.

What does this mean to you? Depending on how you use e23, not much. Users who download items to their computer might not even notice a change. But for those who want to read an item directly from their browser PDF viewer, this should make things a lot easier.

Some notes:
  • The process we're using to update PDFs is fairly straightforward, but there are still humans involved... so there's a chance something might go wrong. If you encounter anything amiss in a download, let me know by email.
  • If you find something that's still in a ZIP file and it'd be very useful to you for us to tweak that one, let me know and I'll see if I can't front-load it. (I envision this offer is primarily for those who use an iPad as their main device, and have limited options at file management.) This is not merely a call to point out items that need to be tweaked; we can track those down ourselves. Rather, if you've bought something that is a pain to use because it's in a ZIP file (or the fact it's in a ZIP file is keeping you from buying it), then let me know and I'll do what I can.
  • Note that not all files can be excised from their ZIP files; in particular, anything that has multiple files as part of a "package" need to be ZIPed to deliver all the files to you. (This includes items like GURPS High-Tech with its companion Weapon Tables, or various issues of Pyramid containing game aids.) It's also possible that we won't be able to adjust all PDFs.
  • This only applies to SJ Games' offerings; e23's third-party-publisher products can't be easily tweaked for a number of reasons.
  • Since these adjustments in no way affect the content of the PDFs, we're not sending out update PDFs (since, as noted, a lot of readers don't even have an issue, and we don't want to clutter up their inboxes).
  • As always, items can be redownloaded at any time from your e23 Library.
We've already updated the entire Pyramid Volume 3 archives, and many other GURPS items as we come across them. But it's a work in progress (and a fairly low-priority project), so thank you for your patience.

Last edited by Steven Marsh; 12-03-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: File Updating Behind the Scenes

[Bender] He's a witch! [/Bender]

More seriously, this is really cool. Makes my library even easier to get too (which is always a good thing). Thank you, Steven (and whoever else got this working). ^_^

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Thank you, Steven (and whoever else got this working). ^_^
Of course, I do my part, but this project wouldn't be possible without Nikki Vrtis, the current mastermind of e23's production.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
Of course, I do my part, but this project wouldn't be possible without Nikki Vrtis, the current mastermind of e23's production.
Well thank her for me too. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Definitely much thanks over here, too. I have a not-infrequent pattern of: "Oh, I need that... Oh, drat, I didn't side-load it to the iPad... Okay, log onto e23..."
Old 12-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Taneli

This is very good news indeed, even though I haven't noticed this as often due to my habit of uploading everything I buy directly to my Dropbox account. It has been a hassle every time I have had to access one of the zip files with my iPad, so it's a great thing nonetheless.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Steven Marsh

As an update, this process should be completed for all SJ Games' products on e23. (Not all items can be released from their ZIP files, but that's because they contain multiple PDFs or supplemental material.)

If anyone finds any troubles or issues with anything on e23, please (as ever) feel free to let me know!