Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 06-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #21
JLV

Default Re: Upgrading Healing Potions

Clearly none of you ever played with my first TFT group.

Careful DM-ing? Hah! They spit on your careful DM-ing!

Player Planning? We don't need no stinkin' planning!

Availability of healing as a limitation on combat? Pfui! Healing, schmealing, unsheathe our swords!

Players can destroy the most carefully contrived plans, the most liberal hints, the most available of information, the most powerful of creatures! Against players, the best laid plans gang aft aglee. Especially that crowd.

In the end, I provided extra healing as a form of self-defense -- I was getting bored with all the new character creation, and thought it might be nice to see the players survive more than a session or two with the same character...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #22
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
In the end, I provided extra healing as a form of self-defense -- I was getting bored with all the new character creation, and thought it might be nice to see the players survive more than a session or two with the same character...
:-) sounds like a fun lot
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #23
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
What if healing potions just were better. Instead of 1 point per $150, make them heal 1d3?
Basically doubling the effectiveness of healing potions. I have not tried this but I love simple elegant solutions in TFT. This is one.
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #24
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
:-) sounds like a fun lot
LOL! Actually they were -- the most fun group I ever gamed with! It wasn't so much the game as the group, if you know what I mean... ;-)

They did the same kind of stuff in Call of Cthulhu, and you can just imagine how well that went!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 10:59 AM   #25
Sigulf

I know this is an old thread, but I have been reading through some of them and wanted to add what I have house ruled.

Like posted, my Healing Potions heal 1d3.

I have also House Ruled that the Physicker talent heals 3 ST and that the Master Physicker can heal 5 damage (instead of 3) if he has a kit, or 2 without one. It still takes them 5 minutes.

Also, A Priest that has the Physicker or Master Physicker talent can “pray” to his god(s) for assistance in the healing of his or a companion's wounds. On a 4d6 vs IQ roll, the Priest adds 1 to the number of hits that he/she can heal as a Physicker or Master Physicker.

My wife and I have been playing alot of Barbarians of Lemuria lately, but I am itching to get back to some TFT.
Sigulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 12:10 PM   #26
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigulf View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I have been reading through some of them and wanted to add what I have house ruled.

Like posted, my Healing Potions heal 1d3.

I have also House Ruled that the Physicker talent heals 3 ST and that the Master Physicker can heal 5 damage (instead of 3) if he has a kit, or 2 without one. It still takes them 5 minutes.

Also, A Priest that has the Physicker or Master Physicker talent can “pray” to his god(s) for assistance in the healing of his or a companion's wounds. On a 4d6 vs IQ roll, the Priest adds 1 to the number of hits that he/she can heal as a Physicker or Master Physicker.

My wife and I have been playing alot of Barbarians of Lemuria lately, but I am itching to get back to some TFT.
That's an interesting house rule for Physickers and Master Physickers. I don't know if I really want to do that in my game but I could consider it.

There are healing potions in the Death Tests that heal multiple hits. There is one that heals 4 hits, another that heals 1-6 with a die roll Therefore, they do exist on TFT. So, as a result, one of the PCs in my game has been working with a Master Physicker that is also an Alchemist to figure out how to reproduce them. They aren't there yet but, it does open up the possibility to have more powerful healing potions.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 01:23 PM   #27
TippetsTX

Variable potency makes a lot of sense in potions to me. It represents some unpredictability in the creation process which feels pretty accurate.
Old 06-10-2023, 02:05 PM   #28
Shostak

Damage is almost always variable, so why not healing?
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 08:11 AM   #29
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Damage is almost always variable, so why not healing?
I like the idea of the standard single healing potions and also having multiples available. However, it seems to be working out that a healing potion with multiples will be more expensive than buying the same number of single potions. At least, that's how it is working out in my game. It's not completely settled yet.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 11:18 AM   #30
hcobb

Whataboutism an energy drink that restores fatigue?