Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #51
Varyon

Default Re: Catalog Of Super Realities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Davis View Post
I don't really have anything good for the Muse of Dance or of Flutes/Lyric Poetry
Terpsichore (Muse of Dance): Powers tend to be visually-impressive, and encounters between supers largely resemble elaborate dance-offs. Mundane folk also get in on the action - dance-offs are very common for resolving disputes. Things are even more dramatic for large groups squaring off against each other, as participants gain enhanced abilities - mundane military engagements look beautiful from a distance, but still leave corpses in their wakes.

I can't think of anything for Thalia other than "As Terpsichore, but flyting instead of dancing" or similar.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #52
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I can't think of anything for Thalia other than "As Terpsichore, but flyting instead of dancing" or similar.
Euterpe (Muse of Music/Lyric Poetry): Important people and events here have audible theme music accompanying them, which tends to get louder (rarely uncomfortably so) in dramatic situations, but never clashes with the soundtracks of others nearby. Natives have mostly tuned out the background strains, but immediately know when "something's about to happen". Many supers (not all) have sonic related powers.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:43 AM   #53
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Euterpe (Muse of Music/Lyric Poetry): Important people and events here have audible theme music accompanying them, which tends to get louder (rarely uncomfortably so) in dramatic situations, but never clashes with the soundtracks of others nearby. Natives have mostly tuned out the background strains, but immediately know when "something's about to happen". Many supers (not all) have sonic related powers.
You've got me thinking of those scenes in many Old West films when a stranger enters the saloon and everybody's suddenly paying attention to him. If they could hear the soundtrack, the scenes would make a lot more sense (and some of them would start making bets, or making for the exists).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:54 AM   #54
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
You've got me thinking of those scenes in many Old West films when a stranger enters the saloon and everybody's suddenly paying attention to him. If they could hear the soundtrack, the scenes would make a lot more sense (and some of them would start making bets, or making for the exists).
Or a more recent take: "Why do I hear boss music?" And I'm very glad I left Euterpe (for some reason mixed her up with Thalia in my previous post) to someone else, as this is far better than what I could have come up with.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #55
David Johnston2

Poseidon is a reality where undersea civilizations allied under the leadership of Atlantis went to war with the surface world and won. As a result the large coastal cities were devastated by tsunamis, monsters and invading troops. Since transoceanic travel has never recovered, neither have the cities.

Deucalion on the other hand is a reality where, thanks to a supervillain the water ice bodies of the Oort cloud became attracted to Earth and now the oceans are advancing as the Earth acquires more and water. While some surface worlders build floating or submarine cities others go all the way and accept modification to become water breathers. The oceans are rent by warfare between the followers of the villain and those who hold a grudge.

Triton is a reality that took the opposite approach when a Nazi pulp hero (Sun Koh) raised Atlantis and melted the ice of Greenland causing a world-wide catastrophe that crippled opposition to him as he founded New Atlantis

Nilus is a reality where a supervillain named Doctor Mobius traveled to a non-super world and conquered it, putting it all under his ancient Egyptian-themed "Nile Empire". The technology base is World War II vintage, but with lots of superscience used by the military and pulp heroes and villains. (Torg's Nile Empire) Didya know there was a Greek god of the Nile? Suprised me, let me tell you.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 05-07-2021 at 10:52 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:18 PM   #56
David Johnston2

Iris is a reality plagued by demonic incursions, which are fought off by magical champions who are chosen shortly after reaching puberty. Over 90% of the champions transform into "magical girls" in order to make use of their powers. Even though some of them are boys in their secret identity.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #57
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Iris is a reality plagued by demonic incursions, which are fought off by magical champions who are chosen shortly after reaching puberty. Over 90% of the champions transform into "magical girls" in order to make use of their powers. Even though some of them are boys in their secret identity.
The (apparently dead) webcomic Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki played with this a bit. Kanazuchi Yuuki is obsessed with Magical Girl anime, and buys what ends up being a magically-hexed video that summons Hermod (in the form of a marmoset), who promptly bestows upon Yuuki the power of the Valkyrie. Hermod, having trouble finding a worthy bearer of said power, decided to hex the tape under the assumption anyone who watched Magical Girl anime would probably be quite thrilled to essentially become one.

The twist, of course, is that Yuuki is male. Or perhaps one could say was male - the transformation also affected his base form, permanently girlifying him. Needless to say, he wasn't exactly pleased.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #58
DangerousThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
In the book _Princess Holy Aura_ the main character (30-year old male) turns into a magical girl superhero. It's a fun read.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #59
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The twist, of course, is that Yuuki is male. Or perhaps one could say was male - the transformation also affected his base form, permanently girlifying him. Needless to say, he wasn't exactly pleased.
Probable to say? Sure. Needless? Well... I have a pre-op MTF Trans friend who is a massive anime fan, is never going to be able to afford the surgery she wants, and would commit unspeakable acts for this "curse."
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:19 AM   #60
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Probable to say? Sure. Needless? Well... I have a pre-op MTF Trans friend who is a massive anime fan, is never going to be able to afford the surgery she wants, and would commit unspeakable acts for this "curse."
Fair enough. Honestly, with how much El Goonish Shive I've read, this is something I should have thought of when writing my post.