Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2023, 01:50 PM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: Tactical combat counters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
sitting (which I use for kneeling)
Considering kneeling often involves one leg in front of you and one leg behind (albeit with both bent, which LEGO miniatures can't do as they lack knees), you could opt to represent kneeling by having the minis doing the splits (provided that's stable enough; it's been too long since I did anything with LEGOs). Which would also be kind of funny to look at.

From what I'm seeing in this thread, I'm really liking the printable heroes, although it sounds like taping a quarter or something to the bottom of each (to help weigh them down, as they look to basically be built like sails) would be a good idea.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:24 PM   #12
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Considering kneeling often involves one leg in front of you and one leg behind (albeit with both bent, which LEGO miniatures can't do as they lack knees), you could opt to represent kneeling by having the minis doing the splits (provided that's stable enough...
It wouldn't be without a few small 1x2 flats on the feet. If you need to differentiate sitting and kneeling, just reverse the legs for knelling.

The real advantage to LEGO figs is if they're in waist or shoulder deep water it's real easy to represent that...
mburr0003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:24 AM   #13
Pursuivant

Quote:
From what I'm seeing in this thread, I'm really liking the printable heroes, although it sounds like taping a quarter or something to the bottom of each (to help weigh them down, as they look to basically be built like sails) would be a good idea.
Yep, but pennies are 24 cents cheaper than quarters and not much good for anything else. If you want something heavier, washers work just as well as quarters. Blu Tack, painters tape, or similar stuff has the virtue of being easily removable compared to regular tape.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 03-31-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:20 PM   #14
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Yep, but pennies are 24 cents cheaper than quarters and not much good for anything else. If you want something heavier, washers work just as well as quarters. Blu Tack, painters tape, or similar stuff has the virtue of being easily removable compared to regular tape.
I thought you said they weren't good for anything else!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:20 PM   #15
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I thought you said they weren't good for anything else!
Obviously, the benefit of easily-removable adhesive methods is that you can more readily swap to a better-looking penny, a washer (which you might be more inclined to reuse), or similar, without damaging and needing to reprint the token itself.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:22 PM   #16
cavesalamander

Quote:
Obviously, the benefit of easily-removable adhesive methods is that you can more readily swap to a better-looking penny, a washer (which you might be more inclined to reuse), or similar, without damaging and needing to reprint the token itself.
It also allows you to store the mini flat which, imo, is a huge benefit to paper/cardboard minis over their lead/plastic counterparts.

My blog (such as it is): jeffsgurpsstuff.blogspot.com
cavesalamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:51 PM   #17
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavesalamander View Post
It also allows you to store the mini flat which, imo, is a huge benefit to paper/cardboard minis over their lead/plastic counterparts.
^^^This. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Technology which allows you to demount the paper figure from the base allows you to store it flat to minimize damage risks. It also allows use of larger bases if conditions require it (potentially windy conditions, people with limited manual dexterity).

You can also use blu tak to stick a die to the base, then stick the figure to the top of the die to represent hovering or flying characters.

The "bare" bases can also be used as counters on their own.

Another cheap base idea is paper clips, which can be used to keep "tent fold" or "t-base" (like traditional paper figure) type minis from falling over and to keep their bases from unfolding. They don't work as well as the other materials I've mentioned, however.

I also retract my statement that pennies are useless. They're good for all manner of DIY projects, they're just obsolete as units of currency. If you do armoring or leatherworking and are willing to punch your own holes, they're the cheapest leather washers you can find at just 1 cent apiece!
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote