Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
CarrionPeacock

Default [LT] Padded/Layered Cloth weight

Browsing some gambesons available for sale I noticed they're very light, none weighting more than 10 lbs, and after googling some more I found no evidence that gambesons and padded jacks are as heavy as shown on Low-Tech (lightest version with only 1 dr weights 9 lbs, dr 2 jumps to 18 lbs).
Why are textile armor in GURPS so heavy? Is it to balance their low cost?
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
Polydamas

Default Re: [LT] Padded/Layered Cloth weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrionPeacock View Post
Browsing some gambesons available for sale I noticed they're very light, none weighting more than 10 lbs, and after googling some more I found no evidence that gambesons and padded jacks are as heavy as shown on Low-Tech (lightest version with only 1 dr weights 9 lbs, dr 2 jumps to 18 lbs).
Pretty much everything made in bulk today would count as Ordinary Clothing or Padded Cloth not "layered cloth" in GURPS Low Tech. Fabric armour meant as armour had 12-30 layers of strong linen, or an inch of cotton wool packed as densely as wood. Garments like that, scaled up to cover what GURPS calls the Torso, can easily weigh 10 pounds.

Its like how a leather jacket from a department store is DR 0 and 1-3 lbs, not any of the kinds of leather armour in a game book.

Edit: The best definitions of damage and DR in GURPS are for steel plates vs. bullets, and have trouble representing things which provide a bit of protection against muscle-powered attacks, so GURPS Low Tech has optional rules ... but its not unreasonable for most of the padded jackets for sale today to give DR 0 to DR 1* (cutting and crushing only)/0. They are lightly built from cheap materials to look good and take the sting out of blunt swords.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Last edited by Polydamas; 03-25-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
It's because of the amount of textile needed for DR 1 against impaling. There's rules in LT for heavy clothing that is DR 1 vs cutting only, and that weighs less.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Polydamas

Also ... I think there was tension between having rules for padded armour 6 mm, 12 mm, 18 mm, and 25 mm thick, and between making its DR-to-weight ratio appropriate in comparison to metal armour. As is, I would treat Padded Cloth and Light Layered Cloth as the main options, because 30 layers of linen protecting just the Torso weigh about 3600 g (8 lbs) and an extant mid-thigh-length, long-sleeved, inch-thick padded armour would weigh 10-12 lbs if it were adult sized.

Dan Howard has said that it would help for representing muscle-powered combat if a point of DR represented about half as much resistance as it does now. As it is, there are optional rules in Low Tech to describe how someone in a heavy winter jacket, flannel shirt and longjohns can get away with things in a knife fight that someone in Bermuda shorts and a Hawaian shirt can't risk.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
CarrionPeacock

So those gambesons being sold as "padded jacket class" are all just the inner padding gurps includes in the armor weights or at best padded cloth (dr 1*)? That's a bummer...
Thanks for dispeling my misunderstanding.
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
DanHoward

Quote:
So those gambesons being sold as "padded jacket class" are all just the inner padding gurps includes in the armor weights or at best padded cloth (dr 1*)? That's a bummer...
Yep. Textile armour weighs more than an equivalent item made from metal. Leather is even worse. A buff coat weighs around 20 lbs and barely rates DR 2.

Here is an example of proper textile armour. It is about an inch thick and is as rigid as a board.
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O8...rmour-unknown/

Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor would be a good book to read. It dispels a lot of historical armour myths.
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/l.../lowtecharmor/

Keep in mind that clothing can be very heavy. A lot of older-styled wedding dresses can weigh 30 lbs or more.

Last edited by DanHoward; 03-25-2019 at 04:56 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
Kax

And then there's dwarves making padded fabric quilt armour out of rock wool and woven basalt fibre.... :)
Old 03-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Rock fabric would probably be similar to the real world version using serpentine or asbestos fibers.
Dwarves are naturally immune to mineral induced cancer, right?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
Kax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Rock fabric would probably be similar to the real world version using serpentine or asbestos fibers.

Woven basalt fabric is a real thing, and is now used instead of asbestos in most brake pads and other places.

And is used because it won't give you cancer or lung diseases.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Natural miners should have a bunch of small resistances, and dust is certainly one of them.

Tags
low-tech