Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
KjetilKverndokken

Default Explain Gurps shotgun rules

Okey, today we had a conundrum as a player started with a shotgun (Spaz). And I dont quite understand the buckshot rules...

If its RoF is 3x9 and it is buckshot, it become a rate of 9 for one shot or 27 if you fire it for a max of 3 times... And then it hits for 1d+1 pr for each sum over its rcl of 1 on its to hit?
KjetilKverndokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Explain Gurps shotgun rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjetilKverndokken View Post
Okey, today we had a conundrum as a player started with a shotgun (Spaz). And I dont quite understand the buckshot rules...

If its RoF is 3x9 and it is buckshot, it become a rate of 9 for one shot or 27 if you fire it for a max of 3 times... And then it hits for 1d+1 pr for each sum over its rcl of 1 on its to hit?
The shotgun rules are really only a minor sub-case of the general Rapid Fire rules. Gurps largely ignores that some of the projectiles are fired 9 at a time rather than one after the other (except for the low recoil).

So with 12 Gauge buck shot you're options are to fire 9 rounds, 18 rounds or 27 rounds and this is treated like any other gun firing the same number of rounds with the same recoil (which is calculated as you said).
Old 12-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjetilKverndokken View Post

If you fire at max ROF you get 27 shots.
If your skill after modifiers is for example 14, one shot hits if you roll a 14, 2 if you roll 13 etc. etc.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
davidtmoore

Yes. Keep in mind the rapid fire hit bonus on p.B373 and the fact that shotguns firing buckshot have a Rcl of only 1, so it's actually not too hard to hit with a reasonable number of shots.

To take an example: firing once, for an effective RoF of 9, gives a +2 to hit, so rolling exactly on what your skill was before the rapid-fire modifier (thus, rolling a margin of success 2 on adjusted skill) means hitting with three of the shots, which is a respectable amount of damage.

Firing three times gives you +5 to hit, so the roll exactly on skill means you hit with six of the shots, which at 1d+1 a shot would make a serious mess of an unarmoured opponent.

Also keep in mind the special rules on p.B409 for point blank shotgun attacks...

Last edited by davidtmoore; 12-12-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Adding an additional point about the rules quoted.
davidtmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Example time!

I shoot at a bug eyed alien 10 yards away once with my Guns (Shotgun) skill of 12, rolling a 10. This gives me a RoF of 9 (from the 9 pellets in a 00 buckshot shell.) Thus, my effective skill is 12 + 2 (RoF) - 4 (range) =10. So I hit with one pellet for 1d+1 pi-.

This only annoys the alien, and it snarls threateningly at me.

Panicked because they're not running away, I unload a full 3 shots the next round. Thats a RoF of 3 x 9 = 27. So my effective skill is 12 + 5 (RoF) - 4 (range) = 13. I roll a 10 again, which is a margin of success of 3. Because I made it at all, I hit with one pellet. In addition I hit with MoS/Rcl extra shots, 3/1 = 3. So this time I hit with 4 pellets.

This is enough to seriously **** off the alien, and it charges me. Whimpering, I unload my last three shots at it from 4 yards away. Because this is less that 10% of the 1/2D range, the pellets don't have time to spread and I halve the x 9 pellets (rounding down) to x 4 and multiply both my damage (1d+1) and the alien's DR (DR 1) by that amount, which gives me 4d+4 vs. DR 4. My effective skill is 12 + 0 (RoF is only 3) - 2 = 10. I roll 10 again, and only hit with one shell, doing 4d+4 to the alien, hopefully stopping it before it eats me as I'm out of ammo.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
KjetilKverndokken

Thanks guys, that clears it up :)

Gurps is easy enough, but sometimes there is somethings thats a bit unclear.
KjetilKverndokken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shotguns