Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #1
Anders

Default Soft Day-Aspected Magery

Day-Aspected limitation for Magery is -40%, but what if they just treat all mana levels as one level lower when the sun goes down? Assume that most of the world is normal-mana. I think halving the limitation to -20% would be reasonable, what do you think?
Old 03-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Soft Day-Aspected Magery

If you accept that -40% is the correct value for day-aspected (its only valid for magery), then -20% for one mana level lower sounds correct.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
RedMattis

That's probably fair enough.

Though generally I'd just put the full limitation on only a few of the levels of Magery, for simplicity if nothing else.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
That's probably fair enough.

Though generally I'd just put the full limitation on only a few of the levels of Magery, for simplicity if nothing else.
I think you might have misread. It doesn't make it so the character has lower Magery, it makes it so that the character functions as if the mana level was lower (i.e. Low Mana vs Normal Mana).
awesomenessofme1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
I think you might have misread. It doesn't make it so the character has lower Magery, it makes it so that the character functions as if the mana level was lower (i.e. Low Mana vs Normal Mana).
I read it correctly. I know it is mechanically slightly different, but most of the time you're either going from High->Normal (not much difference for a mage really), or Normal->Low, which is basically a -5 skill penalty.

I figure what OP is trying to model is just the mage being worse at night, and thus getting less access to, well, their powers. It isn't like the mana-level _actually_ changes.

...also, this has a weird side-effect of making the Very High/Wild Mana levels be... safer. Which might be a good thing depending on circumstances.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
I figure what OP is trying to model is just the mage being worse at night, and thus getting less access to, well, their powers. It isn't like the mana-level _actually_ changes.
Yes. But adding -20% to each level leads to strange even/odd level effects. And adding -40% to some levels it's fiddly. This is more straightforward.

As a side note, I've been thinking about Theurgy, which is like Magery except with Sanctity levels instead. This might do well for a Sun god.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #7
Plane

It'd be interesting how this might work in Continuous Mana, since that has the option of allowing anyone to cast magic, with those lacking Magery 0 being at -6 to skill.

Treating it like it was Low Mana would inflict -5 to skill which would be barely worth anything.

It's easier with Path/Book because Magery 0 offsets a -5 penalty so you can but Magery 0 in fifths per each -1 you offset.

In the case of normal Magery I think it might be 1 pt per -2 you offset (3pt) and the other 3 might be stuff like sensing?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
limitations, magery