Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #31
Angrytubist

Default Re: Horses and other animals

You're 100% correct,I'll change it to 2.5.

Edit: I've updated and clarified many of my posts in this thread, mainly the rules post on the first page.

Last edited by Angrytubist; 06-09-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Angrytubist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #32
Angrytubist

Adding Oxen: I'd use the rules for horse creation and maneuver with the following changes. -5mph acceleration(minimum 2.5), -10mph top speed (minimum 2.5). they weigh 25% more than a horse of equivalent size, this changes their Carry Weight and Load Pulling capacities as well.

Load Pulling special: An ox may pull up to 4x his body weight: with -20mph (min 2.5) acceleration, -20mph (min 2.5) top speed

An ox may drag or off road up to 3x his own weight at the appropriate penalty.

Oxen may not be shod. However, they gain +1 damage to attacks in their forward arc.

Last edited by Angrytubist; 06-11-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: changed modifiers to be more consistant.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #33
Angrytubist

Thought of a few more items, and decided to revise the bridle a bit.

bridle $50, 5 lbs, Improves a horses HC by 1, a bridle requires a free hand to gain its benefits.

crop (or quirt if you ride western) $50, 1lb increases a ridden mounts acceleration by +2.5mph, requires a free hand to gain its benefits.

spurs $150, 1lb increases a ridden mounts acceleration by +2.5mph, and HC by +1.

Comments and thoughts are appreciated, I'd really like to know what someone thinks of the ox rules before I add them to the main post.

Last edited by Angrytubist; 06-11-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #34
Angrytubist

Mules and Donkeys Oh My!!!

As Mules are my personal preference for a draft animal, I thought I'd write up some stats for them, and as my grandpa always said "You gotta have a Jackass to make mules." So I included donkeys as well (you could use the donkey rules for ponies, just drop the HC bonus, and Load Pulling special.)

Mules: use the rules for horses with the following changes, +1 HC, -5mph top speed.

Load pulling special: A mule will refuse to pull a load of 3x his body weight or greater.

Donkeys: use the rules for horses with the following changes,-1 DP, +1 HC, -10mph top speed. Donkeys weigh 25% less than a horse of equivalent size, this affects their Carrying and Pulling Capacities accordingly.

Load pulling special: A donkey will refuse to pull a load of 3x his body weight or greater.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #35
Chris Goodwin

Could horses (and other animals) take Bodybuilding and Running (or the horsey equivalents thereof)? Might be a way to simplify some of the distinctions between type... the "basic horse" has certain stats, then for $X you get $Y skill points to spread between the two. (This shouldn't imply horses "made to order" but rather shopping around for the characteristics you want, though given Autoduel America biotechnology, you never know.)

...Oh. The bottom drops out of the stud market, and owners will copyright and/or patent the genes of horses with excellent bloodlines!

Does brain uploading work on animals?

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #36
Angrytubist

I've generally assumed that the stats given are for "working" animals, and therefore they're already in top physical condition (or close to it.). Let me tell you, when your livelihood depends on an animal, he generally gets taken care of better than you do. (There was quite a streach last winter when
I was eating mostly raccoon meat, and cornmeal mush, and the mules were eating good alfalfa and oats.)

Though, I don't see a reason you couldn't add appropriate skills for the animals (though Running might give you some ridiculous top speeds) After all Animal Husbandry states that you use it to train animals.

I would probably use animal husbandry to make control rolls with mounts as well. (I (or somebody) really needs to write a "Buck"(crash) table for mounts.)

I see Artificial Insemination working pretty much as it does now (except you'll be able to order gene-tailored germ-plasm.)

Cloning defiantly works on animals, I don't know about brain uploading (but I guess they had to test it on something.)
Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #37
ckosacranoid

when all else fails there is a story i heard about someone that rode a cow like a horse so you could include cow cavlery.....or how about riding bif dear like moose.....this just gets to be a very werid tread.....
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #38
Angrytubist

Thinking of Paul Bunion and Babe the Blue Ox? (way ahead of you on the oxen (cow) rules.)

I believe Siberian natives ride domesticated reindeer (and definitely use them to pull loads.)

I would like to see stats for camels but I don't personally know enough about their capacities to write them (yet).

Moose/Elk/reindeer would just be more research, feel free to add your own!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #39
LokRobster

great horse and critter rules!

When I started reading about 'Coldblooded' horses though, 2 images come to mind - if it's mentally then these horses have the 'Callous' disadvantage; if it's physically, I am seeing scales and hide for a reptilian horse...
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #40
Angrytubist

"Cold-blooded" equines are generally said to be slow of wit, foot, and reflex. Though they are also considered easier to train and work, and more reliable in temperament by many. (In my experience most parents start children on "cold-blooded" mounts.)

Not to rush you, but I'm curious as to how your cart/wagon rules are coming along Chris?