Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Chris Goodwin

Default Re: Horses and other animals

I would probably build horse-drawn vehicles as trailers (and low-tech ones out of wood!). That aside, thank you. This is excellent!

(I had the insane thought of a horse-drawn two wheeled cycle, which is towed via a rope or chain rather than hitched directly. I would almost pay money to see the carnage that would ensue.)

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Angrytubist

Before I was old enough to have a drivers license transportation around the "neighborhood"(I put this in quotes because city-folk wouldn't recognize it as such.) was strictly by bicycle or horseback.

Occasionally, my cousins and I would improvise as you described with a rope run from the saddle-horn to handlebars.

My experience was that if you were hot and tired enough it was great, but if the guy on the horse decided to take you for a ride, watch out!!!

As for building your carts on trailer chassis, that's fine, just note that with a chariot (or any two wheeled cart for that matter) your team is attached to the cart with a solid shaft that does not pivot. With a four wheeled wagon or buggy, the front axle will generally pivot with the shaft and singletree.

Last edited by Angrytubist; 06-07-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Angrytubist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
shadowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrytubist View Post
sorry, I wrote you guys a book here.
Nah, it looks like a good start!

I suppose one would use Equestrian skill to stay on the horse through tricky maneuvers, hazards, or rough terrain, and to coax it to perform difficult maneuvers; fail the "control roll", and it shies or bolts.

It occurs to me that horses could possibly have the ability to have skills, too. (Running, Bodybuilding, etc.)

(Though, hmm… shouldn't it be "light horse", "improved horse", and "heavy-duty horse"? ;)

Oh, and acronyms, too! "I'm riding an IHRS with HDSDL, IBD, LIG w/blinders, gas mask, spiked horseshoes, and 1x AVR on a pommel mount.")
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
shadowjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrytubist View Post
As for building your carts on trailer chassis, that's fine, just note that with a chariot (or any two wheeled cart for that matter) your team is attached to the cart with a solid shaft that does not pivot. With a four wheeled wagon or buggy, the front axle will generally pivot with the shaft and singletree.
Probably most easily represented with an improved HC for the larger body.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjack View Post
Nah, it looks like a good start!

I suppose one would use Equestrian skill to stay on the horse through tricky maneuvers, hazards, or rough terrain, and to coax it to perform difficult maneuvers; fail the "control roll", and it shies or bolts.

It occurs to me that horses could possibly have the ability to have skills, too. (Running, Bodybuilding, etc.)
For which you would pay more money. :)

Old 06-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
ak_aramis

Only animals that ever figured in my CW games were dragons...

Now, thanks to Angrytubist, I can feed those dragons....
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
swordtart

I'm not sure I'd give a horse that many DPs. I always found them ludicrously fragile beasties, then again maybe that's only race horses.

I like the idea of barding being just an extension of body armour.

Someone did submit stats for an attack dog in one of the Backfires IIRC. They were accepted in principle by the then editor.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #18
Manycubes

I created rules for dogs, and wolves both normal and giant size,and rudimentary riding rules which you can find here:

http://myweb.cableone.net/manycubes/Dogs.htm

Also if you're looking for top down views of horses and horse drawn wagons to add to your CW counter mix I recommend the “Top Down” section of the Junior General website. You will have to try different print out sizes to scale them properly (I recommend 4x6 and 5x7).

http://www.juniorgeneral.org/load.php?Period=10#Early
Manycubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manycubes View Post
Also if you're looking for top down views of horses and horse drawn wagons to add to your CW counter mix I recommend the “Top Down” section of the Junior General website. You will have to try different print out sizes to scale them properly (I recommend 4x6 and 5x7).

http://www.juniorgeneral.org/load.php?Period=10#Early
+1 million Internets to you for this. It also has cars, and helicopters, and pretty much every land and air vehicle you might want to use in Car Wars, top down!

Edit: Road sections!

2019 edit: Page is now here: http://www.juniorgeneral.org/index.p...eList/topdowns

Last edited by Chris Goodwin; 02-25-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
Angrytubist

In my area during deer season, it's not all that uncommon for an overly-excited (usually inexperienced) hunter to mistakenly shoot livestock. This is not looked upon at all favorably, and as a farmer, I can tell you when it happens to me I expect recompense. But that's beside the point.

I have on several occasions seen horses that have been shot by high-powered hunting rifles (.308,7.62 NATO, .30-06 ,and 7mm Magnum are popular deer rounds here.(note: I find this a bit excessive considering the thick woods and generally low visibility. I take most of mine with a .30-30 or shotgun, most shots within 100 yds.) )Anyway most of these in CW terms are an AV rifle-1d going through even level IV body armor at short range. Regardless, I can vouch for the fact that my father currently rides a horse that suffered 2 bullet wounds from a .30-06 rounds. Mind you there was a $1,000 vet bill involved. But I've seen others survive a single shot (on two occasions the owner discovered the wound after it was healed over.) This would argue that the average horse has greater than 6 DP. Also it is just easy to say that a light horse is 3x as tough as an average human.

A horses legs and feet are, however, very fragile (relative to the animals size and strength.)
Angrytubist is offline   Reply With Quote