Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #41
Angrytubist

Default Re: Aeroduel, and Boat Wars (Hydroduel?) in 6th?

You're probably right about the 3-D printing, but we are discussing a world where you can have your brain downloaded into your (growth accelerated) clone body.

I wonder if you shouldn't just use car chassis prices for plane airframes, half (maybe quarter, we might could get by using the same speed calculation + a flat number) the weight, and multiply the final cost of the vehicle by 1.5.
Angrytubist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #42
GrauGeist
Banned

Well, yeah, wierd science.

I'm not familiar enough with kit planes in general, but I suspect that plane has the equivalent space of a subcompact, where the SVX has at least 6 interior / trunk spaces + gas engine engine - I think it's a compact or else a sloped / aero midsize.
GrauGeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #43
Angrytubist

So, it would be more like: Pay for car chassis one size larger, than the airframe. 1/4 the weight. build vehicle, multiply cost by 1.5. Fly.

Last edited by Angrytubist; 06-11-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #44
Too Bo Coo

Whenever I hear about a plane in CW I think about the gyrocopter getting shot down in the Road Warrior.... Short of an A-10, which would not be 'flyable' in this scale with cars, I'm not sure what kind of aircraft could last more than a few shots in this universe.
Too Bo Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #45
swordtart

1) Any aircraft designed to last more than a few shots.

2) Alternately A WW1 aircraft where most of it is canvas coverd frame and non-vital components. Microlites probbaly fit that category and would fit with the genre.

3) Autogyros where even a hit to the pusher engine wouldn't necessary kill it (just force it to autorotate down).

4) A grasshopper (or more realistically a car plane).
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #46
Angrytubist

A P-51 mustang (while still too fast for scale, 350+mph) can sustain some truly horrific combat damage and remain in the air (as long as the pilot isn't killed). I've seen photos from WWII, where the skin of the plane is was so shot up it looked like a pinata (sp.?) . Also it's a prop-plane, therefore possibly a bit more genre-appropriate than a jet. (Though the A-10 warthog is an awesome plane, had a model of one in my room when I was younger,)
Old 06-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #47
Too Bo Coo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrytubist View Post
A P-51 mustang (while still too fast for scale, 350+mph) can sustain some truly horrific combat damage and remain in the air (as long as the pilot isn't killed). I've seen photos from WWII, where the skin of the plane is was so shot up it looked like a pinata (sp.?) . Also it's a prop-plane, therefore possibly a bit more genre-appropriate than a jet. (Though the A-10 warthog is an awesome plane, had a model of one in my room when I was younger,)
But the amount of fuel necessary for a P-51 to take off is measured in gallons....

It's one thing to get an aircraft off the ground, it's quite another to make it combat ready for a CW universe. I'm not sure who would be crazy enough to get into a Piper Cub in a CW universe? Whomever they were, 'passive eugenics' would make that species extinct fairly quickly.....

I hate to beat a dead horse, but.....
Too Bo Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #48
Angrytubist

Even a piper cub could carry more armor than a CW cycle. Plus "most" of our hypothetical prop-planes are fuel-cell plant powered.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #49
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
3) Autogyros where even a hit to the pusher engine wouldn't necessary kill it (just force it to autorotate down).
All helicopters can autorotate, provided you can maintain control - ie, no damage to rotors, swash plates, nor linkages between stick and swash plate.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #50
swordtart

All helicopters can autorotate, assuming no damage to the gearing. Auotgyros can ONLY autorotate and are therefore better able to do it.

Landing a helicopter safely in autorotate is not a tirival exercise and is an exception condition requiring sound judgement and some luck. Landing a gyrocopter in auto-rotate is the default mode.

Engine failure in a helo or a conventional aircraft is dangerous situation. Aircraft have quite high stall speeds and require a steep approach and reasonable landing strip to glide in. Helo's have narrow envelopes that they can safely land unpowered. Gyrocopters generally have stall speeds in the order of 15 mph. Once you are above that speed landing is conventional.

Gyrocopters are a very different thing (Aeroduel rather misses the point).

Last edited by swordtart; 06-14-2012 at 01:13 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aeroduel 6th edition, boat wars 6th edition, car wars 6th edition, car wars kickstarter