Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 01-28-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
Racer

Default Min 70% Loads for Arena Combats ?

I can recall 'somewhere' stating that Arena Weapons should have a 70% Ammo Load . Can I find it now - no ...

Obviously MGs & VMGs etc with half loads of HD Ammo don't really count in this regard - Ammo weight would be over 70% anyway .

Think it might be on a Q&A Rules update list , but it's possible it's in an ADQ I can't locate . Any help welcome .
Old 01-29-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
kjamma4

Default Re: Min 70% Loads for Arena Combats ?

I don't recall that rule.

If it does exist, I'd disagree with it as, in my opinion, it really serves no purpose. The construction rules go into great detail down to the weight per shot so let someone take how ever many shots they want. They are paying the cost and weight of the weapon to begin with and if they feel 17 shots of MG ammo is better than 20, so be it.

There is always a tradeoff in weight, space, and cost so shorting ammo is a good idea to make weight/division - until you have your opponent on the ropes and realize you really could have used those three extra rounds!
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #3
juris

Never heard of this - especially since 1/2 HD is a standard move as you say. You'll definitely go through 8-9 shots in a normal arena event so this would be a bad decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I can recall 'somewhere' stating that Arena Weapons should have a 70% Ammo Load . Can I find it now - no ...

Obviously MGs & VMGs etc with half loads of HD Ammo don't really count in this regard - Ammo weight would be over 70% anyway .

Think it might be on a Q&A Rules update list , but it's possible it's in an ADQ I can't locate . Any help welcome .
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
Racer

Pretty sure it was brought in to prevent more damage sinks being exploited . After complaints about Paint Mini Rockets in 10pts Component Armour , some jokers decided to use unloaded Chaff Dispenser (25lbs) instead .
These could (in theory) be also mounted Under , "to ward off RGMs while jumping" as some cheese merchant lamely suggested ...
Old 01-29-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
juris

The police in my game beg to differ ;)

Lawbringer -- Luxury, Extra-Heavy chassis, Heavy suspension, Large power plant w/SC, Fire Extinguisher, 4 Solid tires, Driver w/SWC and BA and Safety Seat and 10-pt CA, Passenger, Recoilless Rifle in Turret w/extra magazine and magazine switch and 10 shots Normal and 10 shots HEAT, Tear Gas Mini Rockets Front and Left and Right each w/10-pt CA, Spikedropper Back w/10 Explosive Spikes and 10-pt CA, Bumper Spikes (Front), Long-Distance Radio, Plastic Armor: F40, L35, R35, B40, T40, U14, 2 10-pt Wheelguards Back, 2 10-pt Wheelhubs Front, Gear Allocation: [5 lbs.], Acceleration 5, Top Speed 90, HC 3, 6595 lbs., $19905

Quote:
After complaints about Paint Mini Rockets in 10pts Component Armour ,
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #6
kjamma4

Quote:
Pretty sure it was brought in to prevent more damage sinks being exploited . After complaints about Paint Mini Rockets in 10pts Component Armour , some jokers decided to use unloaded Chaff Dispenser (25lbs) instead .
These could (in theory) be also mounted Under , "to ward off RGMs while jumping" as some cheese merchant lamely suggested ...
  • I'd rule you have to take at least one round
  • Even empty, I don't think this is a valid tactic
  • Even if valid, why not take a junk dropper instead?
Old 01-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #7
43Supporter

I have a very vague recollection of this in one of the Championship Rules writeups, but I can't find it. Might have been in _Pyramid_, of which I have no copies.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:42 AM   #8
swordtart

It would be much simpler to allow it as everyone has the same option.

I really don't understand the obsession with keep chopping and changing rules to ensure "balance" in general it only ever made it worse. This is the problem with tournaments, people focus on winning rather than fun.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
It would be much simpler to allow it as everyone has the same option.
This. At the end of the day, any rule applied across the board for all players is fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
I don't understand the obsession with keep chopping and changing rules to ensure "balance" in general it only ever made it worse. This is the problem with tournaments, people focus on winning rather than fun.
This too. Just because a rule is fair, it may not be fun. My guess is, assuming this rule existed or was proposed, is that someone got sore when they lost a game to someone who brought a weapon with a 30% load to save weight and cost.

If so, the response should have been "Well played."

i don't see any need for this rule.