Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #41
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: [AtE] Best bang for your Warlord buck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post
Pyramid 3-88 has rules for black powder
Ta muchly.
I think I've got a copy of that. If not, off virtually to the Warehouse I shall go...
Old 05-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #42
(E)

Flavour packages for AtE weapons, aka more musings.
Spicy
Warlord furious Phil has.
Slam fire shotguns
Single shot open breach shotguns and Bush ballistic caliber rifles (big and slow bullets, typically old calibers)
Puckle gun type repeaters, cranked revolver action.
Rockets for backup
Lots af access to good quality materials (pipes mainly) but largely self taught when it comes to weaponsmithing.
Shot cartridges are common with caliber being determined by available materials.

Mild flavour
The warlord apoplectic Andy has,
Low damage weapons that need cleaning about once per magazine/tube/clip
Underpowered revolvers and leaver/pump guns as standard.
Higher grade mooks have accurate(ish) slow rate of fire weapons. Or unreliable semi automatics.
The foundations of their weapons are old replicas/paint ball guns etc. The weapons can't handle large amounts of strain so reduced loads and slightly sub caliber ammo(?) is used.

Gourmet
The warlord simmering simone has,
Low level mooks might have black powder muzzle loaders, some of which have rifled barrels. Other wise they have crossbows and melee weapons.
Officer grade mooks have single shot .303 rifles with rifled barrels that allows them the luxury of range.
A handful of .455 webly Lancaster pistols have been made, these are 2 or 4 barreled break action pistols.
The warlord (or a trusted minion) could even have one of these
https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...tomatic-rifle/ though using reclaimed smokeless powder or maybe a bren gun.
.303 British was originally a blackpowder cartridge and Australia is part of the commonwealth. I think there was even a firearms factory in NSW. This crew has less weapons but they make them to a comparatively higher quality. Lots of recycled barrels.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #43
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
.303 British was originally a blackpowder cartridge and Australia is part of the commonwealth. I think there was even a firearms factory in NSW.
Range and damage for .303 British in black powder are a bit worse, but still decent. High-Tech p. 112 has the numbers, under the Lee-Metford Mk 1.

The Lithgow Small Arms Factory is still going. It no longer makes .303 arms, although there's a museum.

I think a Vickers Gun might work half-decently with black powder. The parent Maxim gun was certainly designed for that, which explains the spacious interior and adjustability.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #44
Varyon

One thing I like for low-tech, alternate firearms (which works for alt-history, fantasy-with-guns, and of course AtE), if the local producers can get away with it, are black powder revolver rifles. I typically design them as 5-shot weapons, both as a mark of "This isn't the world you're used to" and for a somewhat-gamist reason - Low Tech gives black powder firearms 5 shots before they need a fairly thorough cleaning or they start racking up Malf (and, later, Acc) penalties.

The sort of skirmishes you're going to have in AtE "warfare" may not call for a lot of shooting from each participant, such that 5 shots may be well sufficient (particularly if most of your opposition are using muzzleloaders). Additionally, you can use loose powder and shot, avoiding the need for cartridges, yet still have something of a repeating design. Granted, revolvers are best with percussion caps, which increases demands on ammunition manufacture (not quite as much as needing cartridges, but still an increase). Flintlock revolvers are possible, however. A muzzleloader can handle higher pressures than a primitive breechloader or revolver, of course, so you may want to have your revolver-rifle using factions get less power out of their weapons than their muzzleloading enemies. Roughly speaking, and going off of the trend from 3e Vehicles, a muzzleloader will weigh around half as much as an equivalent 5-shot revolver; equalizing weight by simply reducing power means the revolver would deal about half as much damage as an equal-weight muzzleloader. A better option is often to reduce caliber; 70% caliber will equalize weight and only reduce damage by 70%, although there's typically a reduction in pi-class to go along with it (so it'll do comparable wounding to the 50% power option, above, but have roughly 50% better armor penetration).

If your typical raiders are using something like LT's 0.59" caliver (3d+1 pi+), the ones with revolver rifles would be using a similar-weight 0.42" rifle that deals 2d+1 pi.

EDIT: Something I forgot - the length variable for Vehicles firearm design is roughly the weapon's length in calibers, meaning, with it being held constant, the 0.42" rifle's barrel is roughly 70% the length of the caliver. That may be able to justify +1 to Bulk, making it a bit more wieldy, but I typically assume the big revolver cylinder would offset that, keeping Bulk as-is.

In case anyone's curious how I assume the weapon itself would work, I'm thinking the user would half-cock the hammer, releasing the cylinder to spin. He/she then manually spins the cylinder to the next shot, and pulls the hammer back to full-cock, which locks the cylinder back into place and primes the pan. That probably means a Ready between each shot, but either a Perk or a successful roll against Fast-Draw (Ammo) should be able to reduce that to a free action, if needed.

Last edited by Varyon; 05-08-2020 at 07:22 AM. Reason: so much "of course" made me feel like a horse, so I removed the extras without remorse
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:43 AM   #45
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
I think a Vickers Gun might work half-decently with black powder. The parent Maxim gun was certainly designed for that, which explains the spacious interior and adjustability.
Rare as hen's teeth. Also, currently stuck at home, so cannot confirm with my resident gaming gun nut about domestic production of rifle ammunition, as well as common calibres.

A Charletonesque conversion of large bore bolt action hunting rifles is more likely.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:48 AM   #46
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Flavour packages for AtE weapons, aka more musings.
Spicy
Warlord furious Phil...

Mild flavour
The warlord apoplectic Andy ...

Gourmet
The warlord simmering simone

The warlord (or a trusted minion) could even have one of these
https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...tomatic-rifle/ though using reclaimed smokeless powder or maybe a bren gun.
Noice.
Quote:
.303 British was originally a blackpowder cartridge and Australia is part of the commonwealth. I think there was even a firearms factory in NSW. This crew has less weapons but they make them to a comparatively higher quality. Lots of recycled barrels.
Not sure on the availability of. 303 cartridges over here. I'll find out...
Old 05-04-2020, 02:59 AM   #47
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
One thing I like for low-tech, alternate firearms (which works for alt-history, fantasy-with-guns, and of course AtE), if the local producers can get away with it, are black powder revolver rifles.

<lots of interesting accompanying commentary>
Thanks. Lot there for me to pick through.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:45 AM   #48
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
A Charletonesque conversion of large bore bolt action hunting rifles is more likely.
FWIW, a straight-pull bolt is a much easier conversion to semi-automatic than a turn-bolt action. The gas piston you strap on the side doesn't need a mechanism to rotate the bolt handle.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:02 AM   #49
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
FWIW, a straight-pull bolt is a much easier conversion to semi-automatic than a turn-bolt action.
Now that's a nice differentiation. Ta muchly.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:04 AM   #50
Celjabba

There is a difference between a small band (which favor close range and effective fire power, so some kind of repeating design is a clear winner) and the OP "army of mook", which call for something economical to manufacture, and cheap to train with.

Either way, making the weapons, assuming you have an example to copy or schematics, is not that difficult as long as you keep to rugged design.
With the right salvage, a steady hand with a file, a lathe, and ideally a trip hammer and a mill to speed things up, you can produce about any 19th century and earlier weapon relatively fast and reliably
Rifling the barrel will need a bit of setup, but nothing truly difficult.

But making metal cartridge, and especially mass producing those, is something else.
Making and loading lots of cartridge is precise work, dangerous work, and require more technical knowledge.

Ence the muzzle-loading (minie ball) flintlock suggestion, or the shotgun / revolver-shotgun.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, high-tech