Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-26-2021, 12:01 PM   #71
Refplace

Default Re: GURPS On Demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermit View Post
hello. i currently own a very preloved (disintergrated glue spine loose pages) gurps basic set third edition.

im currently thinking on getting other gurp books to help with my charactor building and for any games i take part in.

i could probably be happy playing almost any genre, but i am quite interested in lovecraftian/horror, and steampunk/sci-fi/alternatives

for maybe 2 or 3 books, what ones should i go for to aid my charactor building and game play to any games i might be in?
GURPS Fourth Edition has more material for it though if you can find hem Third Edition had some great licensed material that expired.
Third Edition
Cthulu Punk if you can find it would be top of my list for what your looking for.
Either edition of Horror is great, though Fourth Edition is more expansive and has a lot of flavor suggestions and ideas that would be good for either edition.
GURPS Mysteries can be good for investigator campaigns.
Also the Creatures of the Night series are short themed monster collections, many of which belong more in a horror campaign than a dungeon fantasy one.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:57 PM   #72
hermit

I apologise as i forgot to mention that i dont participate in groups offline. for many reasons.
i am more at ease taking part in forum post games.
so the various suggestions for my own use seem to be perfect for reference for ideas for my writings.

thank you. ill be going after these books. :-)
hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #73
eidolon

I'd love to see Discworld 4e made available on demand.
eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #74
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
I'd love to see Discworld 4e made available on demand.
It's over 400 pages, and really needs to be a sewn hardcover, rather than perfect-bound.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #75
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
It's over 400 pages, and really needs to be a sewn hardcover, rather than perfect-bound.
I also would have brought up licensing concerns, but if they're still selling the PDF version, that apparently isn't an issue?
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:52 AM   #76
Thales7

On demand take on customizable products?
Thales7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:30 AM   #77
Anaraxes

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

SJG has set up a lot of books with a POD service. So, when you order one, you get a hardcopy book. The difference is just on the back end -- SJG doesn't have to order print runs of 10,000 copies (which they'll not likely sell) to get a reasonable price. The books are literally printed on demand, not in big batches.

But you can't order custom books just for yourself that way, because the POD service isn't set up for that. A custom book that was even merely combining other books would still need editorial and layout work, especially if you wanted to get all the details right (a new cover to indicate everything that's inside, table of content and index updated to reflect the page number in the combined work rather than the originals, getting rid of superfluous covers and end pages in the middle, and so on). It's not yet possible to have any PDF SJG sells printed, because that POD setup does take some work. They're steadily working their way through their list, but that's hundreds of books to set up.

Also, SJG does grant PDF owners permission to print a hardcopy for their personal use. A number of forumites have done this. Some of them have also combined several smaller volumes into one big one. (AFAIK, this is more just the "bind them all in order" strategy, not taking the PDFs apart and trying to renumber and reindex them as a combined whole.) So, if you do want to bind all your Action! or DF or Powerups books together, that's possible. There's a number of services that will sell you single copies of books from your PDF file. If there's a commercial print shop near you, they can probably handle it as well.

There's been a few threads in the main GURPS forum discussing that topic, if it's something you wanted to pursue.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #78
Thales7

I'll be more objective: if I pay to translate the on demand, is it possible to sell (at least the PDF) in Portuguese? I'm studying the possibility to make a crowdfunding.
Thales7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:06 AM   #79
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thales7 View Post
I'll be more objective: if I pay to translate the on demand, is it possible to sell (at least the PDF) in Portuguese? I'm studying the possibility to make a crowdfunding.
That sounds close enough to piracy that I suspect the answer will be "no" - unless you had a license from SJG to do just that. And SJG doesn't give licenses to just anyone; they must be earned by folks they trust.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #80
petrusclavus

I'm not certain which company does this but my group started Discworld a few weeks back (each buying a copy of the pdf) and one player then arranged to print a hardback copy for each player (one book oer pdf bought is allowed). It is not cheap but having a physical book is so much nicer.
petrusclavus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pod; print on demand