Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 01-30-2019, 03:04 AM   #41
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Roleplaying experiences without a GM in Car Wars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
Car Wars City Blocks 1 and Car Wars City Blocks 2 are alternatives to Midville maps, permitting a modular urban area. If you have a lot of room, combine Midville maps with City Blocks 1 and City Blocks 2 sections.
Those first two City Blocks sets are phenomenal!
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #42
swordtart

Quote:
Tom H.: Thanks for the compliment. Here is a summary of my post for Blue Ghost and other combat drivers.

The Space Gamer Vol. 1, No. 50: Sunday Drivers - 2 maps of West Midville presented in reduced scale, requiring two Car Wars Blank Map Sheets to use with 1X Car Wars scale playing materials.

Pocket Box Sunday Drivers/Crash City - 2 maps of West Midville

Car Wars Deluxe Edition Box Set - 2 maps of West Midville

Car Wars Expansion #3: East Midville - 2 maps of East Midville

Midville Car Wars Adventure Pack - total of 4 maps: 2 maps of East Midville and 2 maps of North Midville

The two maps of North Midville were only published as ready-to-play maps in the Midville Car Wars Adventure Pack.

Pocket Box Sunday Drivers/Crash City has a reduced scale map of the entire town of Midville on the last page of the rulebook.
As there is a body of water on the North Midville Maps, maybe you could stick the maps for Boat Wars on top and make it even bigger, or am I over thinking this :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #43
Blue Ghost

Interesting. I did not know there was a north Midville.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #44
owenmp

There was a very useful sheet printed in The Best of ADQ Volume 1 that would track multiple pedestrians during a Midville scenario. I cannot remember if that sheet was previously printed in an issue of ADQ.

If you are going to play a Midville scenario, the aforementioned form is very useful, and could be expanded easily to reflect current rules.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #45
industrialchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
That's great fun when playing with friends. Let us know sometime how your experience went.
Convoy was amazing and brutal. We all hung in there for a good while but eventually we ran into a brutal situation that neither of us could get out of! We're looking forward to giving it another go sometime soon! We had a nice two hour game and barely even scratched the surface of what could happen in Convoy. I'm very happy with the replay ability of this one. It even seems once you've beaten it that it is more than possible to still re-visit it and have another unique experience! I'm glad that this is the case and I'm super happy that I invested what I have so far in Car Wars!

I'm glad that this thread I started has become a veritable treasure trove full of excellent resources for this epic game! Car Wars has been very rewarding to work through, play through and simply let my imagination go wild. My mom and brother absolutely love it also. They both agree that it's a superior game and it blows their mind that one could have this much fun with the simplest of gaming materials. It's amazing all the thoughts and excitement one experiences when playing this game! My brother has even gone the extra mile and began reading the rules himself! This was surprising to me because he normally is content with just having me teach, but he wants to design vehicles for us! I'm truly blessed. Realizing this, I also purchased DuelTrack and AeroDuel. In another couple of weeks, I'll pick up Boat Wars and Tanks also. I'm glad they are as interested in this as I am and are willing to invest time into this game! I'm very much looking forward to see what my brother's vehicles will be like! I could not be happier!

Today, I pledged some dollars to the new Steve Jackson Games Pocket Box: Games of the Eighties Kickstarter and I've got my fingers crossed that psychical copies of this wonderful supplement will once again be available, among other gems! This is my first Steve Jackson Games Kickstarter and I'm super happy and proud to be a part of it. I'm looking forward to seeing how this campaign goes and I'm hoping it goes insane! It's off to a fantastic start thus far.

Last edited by industrialchild; 01-30-2019 at 02:44 PM.
industrialchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #46
43Supporter

Quote:
Midville Car Wars Adventure Pack - total of 4 maps: 2 maps of East Midville and 2 maps of North Midville

The two maps of North Midville were only published as ready-to-play maps in the Midville Car Wars Adventure Pack.

Pocket Box Sunday Drivers/Crash City has a reduced scale map of the entire town of Midville on the last page of the rulebook.
Be Aware: The "reduced-scale map" in PB _SD_ does *NOT* match what was eventually produced in _MCWAP_.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #47
Blue Ghost

Quote:
psychical copies
Psionics in Car Wars? >:)
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #48
owenmp

43Supporter: Correct. Thanks for the clarification. I looked at a copy of the Pocket Box Sunday Drivers rulebook earlier today, and I viewed the map on the back. It is different than compared to the combined maps of West, East, and North Midville. My rulebook was in a location I could not immediately access when I wrote my post.

Last edited by owenmp; 01-30-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #49
owenmp

The word you are referencing was a typographical error, but there were superpowers in Autoduel Champions and in the short story "Alkahest: The Deathtoll Solution" in ADQ 3/3. Psionics might have been included.

As I wrote on Twitter a few days ago, I missed seeing DriveThruRPG started offering Autoduel Champions in October 2018. In physical or electronic form, Autoduel Champions is worth owning to see the first appearances of helicopters and weapons like the VMG in Car Wars.

DriveThruRPG - Autoduel Champions (2nd Edition)
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ns-2nd-Edition
Old 01-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #50
industrialchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
Psionics in Car Wars? >:)
No kidding...that would be pretty insane! Imagine if psychic warfare was a thing...

Upon taking the Psionics skill...If you are at least 4 inches away from target, as an action roll two dice. Your target number is 11. If you roll 11 or higher you can take control of target for one turn. Every +1 in this skill will add +1 to this check and 1/2" of range... :D Just of the top of my head of course, but imagine the possibilities! If the target also has Psionics, they could try as a free action try and resist the mental intrusion by performing the same check. For every +1 the target has in this skill, add +1 to this check. If the target succeeds, this effect is negated but the action is still used!

Control a driver that's going fast and crash him full force into a wall! Control a gunner that has a hand weapon and have him fire it at the driver or him/her self!

Maybe a little broken, but that sounds awesome nonetheless!

Last edited by industrialchild; 01-30-2019 at 06:37 PM.
industrialchild is offline   Reply With Quote