Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-16-2018, 04:01 AM   #1
AussieGrimm

Default Lightweight armor for casters/support

Hi Folks,

I've tried reading around for a bit of advice, but thought a direct question might help, as most cleric advice I found was for more combative clerics.

I've been playing DFRPG on an off for the second half of the year as a cleric focused on healing and support. I've enjoyed a few fun sessions, but often I've ended up stabbed and face down in the dirt unconscious for an hour or two while combat rages. I've been getting better at the system slowly, better at staying out of danger, but I'm finding I'm still pretty slow wearing even quite light armor (heavy cloth suit) while still carrying healing/support gear with an average move of 4 it's well behind the rest of the party making escape difficult sometimes.

Is there any advice for magic armor or compromises I should be making to get a more reasonable DR and bring the weight down. At the moment I've saved about $25,000 so my budget isn't super limited now. For the most part I use a quarterstaff to parry and range touch heal, as well as precast armor spell on myself when possible, but I'd prefer to keep the SP for awakens and heals.

I had though some lightweight Elven chain and helm, forgoing arms/legs, but is there some other options that wizards or other casters use. I'm quite jealous of the party wizards blink for example. I could go to a shield/1H, but I'd need to retrain to use those weapons, and I like using the staff generally.

Any thoughts are quite welcome, thank you, and happy holidays.

AussieGrimm
AussieGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Lightweight armor for casters/support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGrimm View Post
Hi Folks,

I've tried reading around for a bit of advice, but thought a direct question might help, as most cleric advice I found was for more combative clerics.

I've been playing DFRPG on an off for the second half of the year as a cleric focused on healing and support. I've enjoyed a few fun sessions, but often I've ended up stabbed and face down in the dirt unconscious for an hour or two while combat rages. I've been getting better at the system slowly, better at staying out of danger, but I'm finding I'm still pretty slow wearing even quite light armor (heavy cloth suit) while still carrying healing/support gear with an average move of 4 it's well behind the rest of the party making escape difficult sometimes.

Is there any advice for magic armor or compromises I should be making to get a more reasonable DR and bring the weight down. At the moment I've saved about $25,000 so my budget isn't super limited now. For the most part I use a quarterstaff to parry and range touch heal, as well as precast armor spell on myself when possible, but I'd prefer to keep the SP for awakens and heals.

I had though some lightweight Elven chain and helm, forgoing arms/legs, but is there some other options that wizards or other casters use. I'm quite jealous of the party wizards blink for example. I could go to a shield/1H, but I'd need to retrain to use those weapons, and I like using the staff generally.

Any thoughts are quite welcome, thank you, and happy holidays.

AussieGrimm
There's a Lighten enchantment that comes in a few levels, and it drastically chops down the weight of armor. The first level is, if I recall correctly (though the prices may have changed), a steal.

The other thing you might do if you have a few CP handy is look into Lifting ST, which will boost your encumbrance levels.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Your best bet is buying up ST. Sorry mate, there isn't much you can do to get great armor at low weight and low cost (great being DR 6+, low cost being the $25K range).

However, you've got $25K in the bank, so you should be able to afford a suit of Heavy Mail of Weightlessness at $13,600 and 27 lbs. If you had $46K banked you could get Heavy Elven Mail of Weightlessness. With $56,800 that could be Fine Heavy Elven Mail of Weightlessness at 20.25 pounds.

Then later get some Lightened Giant Spider Silk underarmor for $25K, 9lbs, adds +2 DR.

The above is the most bang for your buck and weight.

Of course you could do the same with Light Mail:
Fine Light Elven Mail of Weightlessness: $29,500, 13.5lbs.

Also you could right now afford Giant Spider Silk Of Weightlessness ($25K, 9lbs, DR 2), trade in your Heavy Cloth and grab some Light Mail for your torso and head. Then start upgrading the rest as you get more money. This option doesn't increase your protection much now, but it does drastically decrease your encumbrance. And it's a great base to build on.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
Kalzazz

What all are you carrying? A Quick Release backpack is superb to get rid of the weight of 'do not need right this second' stuff when a fight kicks off

I would definitely audit my inventory for stuff to drop

Fortiify 2 if allowed is +2 DR for 4k, its great
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
Juliansl

An Ironskin Amulet would be better than Fine Light Elven Mail of Weightlessness. Assuming you're not using the Armor spell, as magical armor bonuses don't stack.
Juliansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Anthony

It sounds like a significant part of the problem is other PCs not doing their jobs; more durable characters should be screening for the less durable, and thus a bunch of their defense is not being attacked.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
AussieGrimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
What all are you carrying? A Quick Release backpack is superb to get rid of the weight of 'do not need right this second' stuff when a fight kicks off

I would definitely audit my inventory for stuff to drop

Fortiify 2 if allowed is +2 DR for 4k, its great
Not carrying too much, about 15 lbs otherwise, small pack, scribe + first aid kit, blanket + rations + water. Don't need a tent usually. Then extra belts for potions/scrolls + quarterstaff.

I'll check on quick release backpack, could be useful. We do tend to get ambushed a lot, as we rarely have a scout.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #8
AussieGrimm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It sounds like a significant part of the problem is other PCs not doing their jobs; more durable characters should be screening for the less durable, and thus a bunch of their defense is not being attacked.
It's not a huge party, we reliably have a well armored knight who does most of the fighting, with his swashbuckler companion for precision damage. After that it's me and any retainers we can pay to come. We reliably get a heavy shield retainer. Other players that make it from time to time are a mage and an archer, though we got some new players recently who went for a bard and a swashbuckler as well, so more people on the field will help me survive to heal them.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
AussieGrimm

Some good suggestions above on armor, thank you all. I'll see if I can boost strength up a bit, and look into the spider silk armor. I usually have armor spell running for a small boost, but bringing total weight down and increasing capacity via strength sounds like a good way to go.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
Dalin

Another idea to throw into the mix would be to buy Fit and/or a few levels of Hard to Subdue. Both are cheap for their utility. These would improve the odds of remaining conscious long enough to heal your injuries. For a cleric, you could even attribute the increased hardiness to divine favor.

This is not to suggest that more DR isn't a good idea, but there will always be attacks that will blow past your armor (if only because some of them are balanced for the knight).
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote