Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
RedDragon

Default Possible errata in High-Tech and Tactical Shooting

While I was going through the weapons tables I noticed something odd:
The Steyr-Solothurn S18-1000 (HT p.113; Damage 6dx2(2) pi++; 1938-1940; 7.1' long, Bulk -11; $25,000) and the Lahti L-39 (TS p.61; Damage 6dx3(2) pi++; 1939-1944; 7.3' long, Bulk -10; $12,000), despite using the same ammunition, having barrel lengths between 10% of each other, having (from what I've found) very similar muzzle velocities, and being developed less than a year apart, have two massive disparities - somehow the Lahti is 50% more powerful while costing less than half as much.
When I brought this up to a friend, his response was "It's Sisu".
Anyway, it seems like one or both of those statistics are in error, as I didn't see anything in the descriptions of either weapon mentioning higher or lower relative firepower to other guns of its type. My suspicion is that one of these was statted out based on real-world data and the other was guestimated (that or it's a typo). Then again, I'm hardly well-versed in ballistics and firearm development, so maybe I'm wrong. I'd appreciate some clarification either way.
What I find especially funny is the fact that apparently Finland bought some Steyr-Solothurns during WWII - seems like a silly investment given the stuff they had at their disposal (in addition to the Lahti's lower cost and higher damage, it holds an extra shot in the chamber and takes 2 seconds less to reload).

Edit: Ok, I just noticed in the description for the Steyr-Solothurn it says that it also fired SAPHE (Dmg 6dx3 pi++ with a 2d [1d] cr ex follow-up). The Lahti also fires SAPHE-T (Dmg 6dx3 pi++ with 2d-1 [1d] cr ex follow-up) (why the difference in fragmentation damage?). This leads me to believe that the Lahti is supposed to normally do 6dx3 pi++ and its AP ammunition (which multiplies damage by 0.7 as described in HT, p.167) is supposed to do 6dx2(2) pi++, same as the Steyr-Solothurn. In that case, the damages given for the Lahti firing AP-T and APEX (both of which list basic damge as 6dx3 pi++) are also wrong. This makes me lean more towards the typo answer. On a somewhat related note, the Lahti is noted as firing WP-T rounds, but the damage stat for those rounds seems to be missing the (0.5) armor divisor mentioned on HT, p.172 - so one of those passages is incorrect, methinks.

Last edited by RedDragon; 09-12-2018 at 07:02 PM.
RedDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: Possible errata in High-Tech and Tactical Shooting

The Cost might be correct, in that real world prices do not always correlate that closely with utility, but I'm at a loss to explain why two weapons firing the same ammunition have such a great disparity in listed Dmg.

Have you checked whether the listed stats reflect different ammunition options?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
RedDragon

Yep. They're both firing AP rounds.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Have you checked whether the listed stats reflect different ammunition options?
Doesn't look like it could be. The Lahti uses the same base damage for the basic AP, APEX, SAPHE-T, and even WP-T (which probably should have a (0.5) factor, but doesn't).

Which suggests the source of the problem, to me. It looks like the stats for the Lahti in TS didn't account for the fact that AP (and APEX) are statted with reduced base damage. The S18-1000 also does 6dx3 when firing SAPHE. The 6dx2 (2) results from multiplying that by 0.7 per the AP rounds rules...
Old 09-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
Icelander

Are we certain that the Lahti is not firing APHC, which would indeed explain the relative +50% Dmg to an AP round?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #6
RedDragon

Yes. From the description: It fires an AP round (in table).
Old 09-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Are we certain that the Lahti is not firing APHC, which would indeed explain the relative +50% Dmg to an AP round?
In addition to identifying the basic round as AP it uses the same damage for APEX which would not have that relative +50%.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #8
RedDragon

I think it's probably that they just forgot to multiply by 0.7, but until we get an official ruling its just a guess.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
Donny Brook

Yes, to me as well it looks like an error in identifying or statting which ammo is used.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
errata, high-tech, tactical shooting