Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #31
Terwin

Default Re: [4e] Mage and (non-lethal) figting.

Clean(M116) seems like a good option to transform your post-dungeon matt into a freshly washed(and brushed) waterfall.

The hair could be a binding innate attack with limited range, or just a melee range innate attack for damage.

An additional option for the hair would be telekinesis.
Something like
Telekinesis (Reduced Range: 5 yds -10%, Visible -20%, Nuisance effect(I assume there are some), Special effect: takes the form of characters hair performing actions) for 3.5 points/level (or 1 point per level if you add in Uncontrollable -30% and Unconscious only -20%; making it so that you need not activate or control it, but it can also do unfortunate things to your allies. Alternately you could add in Independent +40% for 5.5 points per level to have a 'command-able hair' type deal, or 4/level for commandable hair that some times goes off the rails(Independent + uncontrollable))...)

I admit I like the idea of a Sorceress with hair that will lash out in her defense.
(and at 1 point/level you can have some pretty potent hair for just a few points, but remind your allies not to get too close if it starts to lash out...)
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #32
Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwin View Post
Clean(M116) seems like a good option to transform your post-dungeon matt into a freshly washed(and brushed) waterfall.

The hair could be a binding innate attack with limited range, or just a melee range innate attack for damage.

An additional option for the hair would be telekinesis.
Something like
Telekinesis (Reduced Range: 5 yds -10%, Visible -20%, Nuisance effect(I assume there are some), Special effect: takes the form of characters hair performing actions) for 3.5 points/level (or 1 point per level if you add in Uncontrollable -30% and Unconscious only -20%; making it so that you need not activate or control it, but it can also do unfortunate things to your allies. Alternately you could add in Independent +40% for 5.5 points per level to have a 'command-able hair' type deal, or 4/level for commandable hair that some times goes off the rails(Independent + uncontrollable))...)

I admit I like the idea of a Sorceress with hair that will lash out in her defense.
(and at 1 point/level you can have some pretty potent hair for just a few points, but remind your allies not to get too close if it starts to lash out...)
Thats is not bad , Im going to talk to my GM about this.

Another thing Im looking into is staff combat which is kinda a mage classic.

I looked into some different values: Concerning skill and parry.

14/2 +3 +2 = 12.
12/2 +3 +2 = 11.
10/2 +3 +2 = 10.
9/2 +3 +2 = 9.
8/2 +3 +2 = 9.

With ST 10 its a measly 1d+2, 1d cr damage. Which considering that most opponents is likely going to have DR 5 or so isnt exactly going to be an impressive weapon. Even 1 point gives a defense thats a little better that her dodge of 7.
However isnt those points better spent on a skills or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
You have Cure Disease 16; perfect reason to buy off the Narcolepsy! Yes, it's technically a disease, even if it's not contagious.
Can I just start using my spells on myself? Like its a disadvantage bought in points? So with regeneration can I just cure her one eye? I think it kinda states that you need to pay the points or does it?
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #33
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Can I just start using my spells on myself? Like its a disadvantage bought in points? So with regeneration can I just cure her one eye? I think it kinda states that you need to pay the points or does it?
Your GM really should charge you points for it, but, it's just one of those things that leads to people saying standard Magic needs a serious overhaul.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #34
Jose

Quote:
Your GM really should charge you points for it, but, it's just one of those things that leads to people saying standard Magic needs a serious overhaul.
Well, I cant really find the point where it states you HAVE to pay points. Well, she has a habit of trying out her magic on herself or her teammates granted it wont do lasting harm.
So it could be fun doing, Ill definently do that.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #35
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Well, I cant really find the point where it states you HAVE to pay points. Well, she has a habit of trying out her magic on herself or her teammates granted it wont do lasting harm.
So it could be fun doing, Ill definently do that.
Technically, you should always have to pay off disadvantages. In the case of Magic, well, the only thing stopping you is the GM saying "The Gods say NO!"
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #36
Terwin

Quote:
Thats is not bad , Im going to talk to my GM about this.
Just be aware that if you have uncontrollable hair with ST 11+ and you see a cat, you might find yourself traveling rapidly away from the feisty feline...

And you might want to keep your emotions in check if you are around people you especially like or dislike lest the actions of your hair give away those feelings...

(could be rather amusing if you had lechery or kleptomania and hair with high TK strength. At the end of the day you might find a number of items(or attractive people) when you brush your hair...)
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #37
Desthro

Quote:
Technically, you should always have to pay off disadvantages. In the case of Magic, well, the only thing stopping you is the GM saying "The Gods say NO!"
Actually the rules are fairly clear, if you have the disadvantage, you must pay the points to eliminate it. Generally, you cannot eliminate physical disadvantages on a whim. The regeneration spell, otoh, grants you the ability to buy off that disadvantage.

So yes, you must pay the points, though some GMs might waive it.
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #38
Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwin View Post
Just be aware that if you have uncontrollable hair with ST 11+ and you see a cat, you might find yourself traveling rapidly away from the feisty feline...

And you might want to keep your emotions in check if you are around people you especially like or dislike lest the actions of your hair give away those feelings...

(could be rather amusing if you had lechery or kleptomania and hair with high TK strength. At the end of the day you might find a number of items(or attractive people) when you brush your hair...)
That settles it, Im not putting it on Nadya. Im putting this on a next character. This is hilarious.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #39
Dalillama

Quote:
You have Cure Disease 16; perfect reason to buy off the Narcolepsy! Yes, it's technically a disease, even if it's not contagious.
I'm pretty sure that's not how Cure Disease works. Besides which, as I GM, I would require a pretty solid explanation of why she hadn't already got rid of the disadvantage before play started, if she has the capacity to do so at any time.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #40
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not how Cure Disease works. Besides which, as I GM, I would require a pretty solid explanation of why she hadn't already got rid of the disadvantage before play started, if she has the capacity to do so at any time.
As one of the main complaints I've heard about the standard Magic system for 4e is that most of it was lifted from 3e with little alteration, I'm going to mention how it worked back in 3e: worst case scenario it is a bit of a wasted post, only useful for showing it it used to work.

1) Cure Disease works on microorganisms in third edition, so unless something like that is causing the narcolepsy it won't help.

2) Restoration and Regeneration (if the eye is totally missing, the latter is needed) have some key drawbacks that might prevent someone casually using them. First is the Energy cost: 15 and 20, respectively. Next is the time; while casting time is only one minute, the actual healing process takes an entire month, during which time you cannot make use whatever is being healed. Lastly is they are one try spells.

I don't remember if it is "per caster" or simply "one try period", but combined with the other two, I'd only chance casting the spell when I was quite competent I'd make the roll and have time to properly heal up. It might not work for this character, but it is a decent excuse for a caster that already knows the spell but isn't comfortable trying it out before at least the current adventure plays out.

Now, if the GM doesn't want to hear it, the GM doesn't want to hear it. Like many things there is the issue of GM/player trust (or past experience), though I'm not sure how abusive it actually would be for someone to basically take a "point load" by taking some curable Disadvantages that are otherwise okay for the campaign. If they survive long enough to pay them off, they have the spell cast and if it works, they're golden. I suppose I just would rule that if they don't have the points, such attempts autofail instead of allowing them to go into point debt.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech, magic