Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
Jürgen Hubert

Default What RPG Settings would work for GURPS Infinite Worlds?

I recently had a thought: There have been many, many RPG settings published over the years, and many of these would be suitable for inclusion of GURPS Infinite Worlds - but not all.

My own criteria for which settings would fit are as following:

- It should be either recognizably some form of Earth (not more exotic than the world of Warhammer Fantasy) or be a shiftrealm with access to interdimensional travel that isn't incompatible with GURPS Infinite Worlds (Planescape would probably be inappropriate, for instance)
- The "local year" should not be later than 2027 - the "default year" of Homeline.

EDIT: We should probably focus on original RPG settings - thus, no RPG settings derived from fiction (such as Middle Earth, the Dresdenverse, and so forth.)

What published RPG settings - by any publisher - would fit these criteria? And how would you describe it in Infinite Worlds terms? (TL, mana level, Quantum level, Homeline designation, Outworld penetration etc.?)

I have started on a online sheet for listing the settings - feel free to add your own.

The first two settings that sprang to my mind there those of Cyberpunk 2020 and Castle Falkenstein (which, while there was a GURPS conversion, was never "officially" part of Infinite Worlds, though it has interworld travel.) But there are sure to be more...

Last edited by Jürgen Hubert; 12-06-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: What RPG Settings would work for GURPS Infinite Worlds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
- The "local year" should not be later than 2027 - the "default year" of Homeline.
And if the world is sufficiently different that the calendar could have arguably been based off a different start date, you don't need to worry about that. For my Infinite Cabal campaign, I had to define the date as the astronomical date, as shown by the positions of planets, proper motions of stars, and so on.

This is as seen from Homeline and the other worlds that are at the "latest possible date", of which I have three: Centrum, Shikaku-Mon, and a world that diverged when psionics were discovered and developed in ancient Egypt, and is now a world-wide group-mind.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #3
Agemegos

Would you consider White Wolf's "World of Darkness" to be an example of what you're asking for?

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
Would you consider White Wolf's "World of Darkness" to be an example of what you're asking for?
Certainly - both of them.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
warellis

Would either WoD just be some sort of Cabal worldline?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:07 AM   #6
Agemegos

What about the setting of the James Bond 007 RPG? In a way it's supposed to be the real world, but considered in detail it has some features that the real world hasn't (the British secret service is called "MI6" and is part if the Ministry of Information, there is an international criminal organisation called "T.A.R.O.T.") and there have been historical events corresponding to the Bond films that were made before 1982.

I think the setting of Spirit of the Century qualifies.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #7
Anders

Camelot. Ars Magica. Dark Sun?
Old 12-06-2014, 05:50 AM   #8
johndallman
Night Watchman

Feng Shui, if you saw a few things off the sides.

One of the nice things about the strange and unexplained nature of the IW setting is that it's possible to have worlds with very different dramatic styles and subject the same PCs to them.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #9
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Camelot. Ars Magica. Dark Sun?
Yes, yes, and no. Dark Sun is just not recognizable as a variant of Earth.

In fact, the only official D&D world that seems appropriate is the Red Masque variant of Ravenloft, although you could also make the case for using the original Ravenloft as a shiftrealm. In fact, it even has a few immigrants from Earth...
Old 12-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #10
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
What about the setting of the James Bond 007 RPG? In a way it's supposed to be the real world, but considered in detail it has some features that the real world hasn't (the British secret service is called "MI6" and is part if the Ministry of Information, there is an international criminal organisation called "T.A.R.O.T.") and there have been historical events corresponding to the Bond films that were made before 1982.
It's probably best to treat this as one of the literature I based parallels, I think.