Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-11-2024, 11:03 AM   #321
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Corco's Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
1 - The rule of 16 only applies to resisted supernatural abilities, not general skill contests.

2 - Intimidation is not a contested roll anyway. It is pass/fail unless you're using it on a group in the Basic Set.

Right....All the more reason I don't like that appearance and feats of strength and size modifier stack .... while feats of bloodthirstiness and strength do not.

I thought the influence roll was an either/or thing: you either replace the reaction roll OR you make an attempt to intimidate them into doing something specific.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 11:37 AM   #322
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Right....All the more reason I don't like that appearance and feats of strength and size modifier stack .... while feats of bloodthirstiness and strength do not.

I thought the influence roll was an either/or thing: you either replace the reaction roll OR you make an attempt to intimidate them into doing something specific.
There are two uses for the skill, the default use is "You are scary and intimidating in what you do!" which is not a contest, btu the results of which are fuzzy and completely up to the GM.

An Influence roll IS contested by Will, and if successful replaces a random reaction with a "good" reaction and if unsuccessful is a "bad" reaction.

It was regular skill use, since their feelings about Vassarious personally are pretty irrelevant. That was the intent when I rolled it anyway.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 01:11 PM   #323
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm figuring out the next mission. Everything is ending/starting all at once (including my Tuesday game) This is something like the fourth successful mission?

I'm looking at choosing from a few different missions... none of which are actually complete. Space Opera (Psiwars), Fantasy where you are interacting with DF Elements (you should be able to short-circuit a lot of it though), Doing something on Halcyone's homeworld, or visiting a monster hunters world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
There are two uses for the skill, the default use is "You are scary and intimidating in what you do!" which is not a contest, btu the results of which are fuzzy and completely up to the GM.

An Influence roll IS contested by Will, and if successful replaces a random reaction with a "good" reaction and if unsuccessful is a "bad" reaction.

It was regular skill use, since their feelings about Vassarious personally are pretty irrelevant. That was the intent when I rolled it anyway.
Huh. Weird. I still feel like the will and fearlessness of the target should matter.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:41 PM   #324
TGLS

Quote:
I'm figuring out the next mission. Everything is ending/starting all at once (including my Tuesday game) This is something like the fourth successful mission?
Halcyone relates her adventures in a bar, "First came the priests who made a puppet out of the Emperor Maximus, next keeping the Stone-Melters on ice in Ogol, then we had to guard a Japanese Emperor from some demons, after that cut down Aram the Ever-Dead on Bel-3, and then..."
Quote:
I'm looking at choosing from a few different missions... none of which are actually complete. Space Opera (Psiwars), Fantasy where you are interacting with DF Elements (you should be able to short-circuit a lot of it though), Doing something on Halcyone's homeworld, or visiting a monster hunters world.
Well, these all look neat. The mission framework makes it hard to slowly lay out the scenario like Dreams can, I guess. I think it would be kinda funny to get a local guide in the DF world who's baffled as we cut through all the problems.

Last edited by TGLS; 04-16-2024 at 04:55 PM.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:33 PM   #325
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Yep!
Quote:
Oh, whatever shall Vassarious "wear"?
Quote:
Huh. Weird. I still feel like the will and fearlessness of the target should matter.
The end result is completely up to GM Fiat, and the successful use of intimidation does not necessarily induce intimidation the subject, it just conveys successfully that they have a certain level of capability and a willingness to use it without looking like an ass in the process. So a fearless person would not be afraid, but they might just like your style.

There is likely more detail in Social Engineering if you are so inclined to look.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:58 PM   #326
TGLS

Quote:
I dunno, my reading is that it's an influence skill, and Fearlessness is a penalty ("Subtract the subject’s Fearlessness (p. 55) from your roll."), but at the same time Intimidation doesn't necessarily mean the subject caves either...
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote