Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #31
jackcelso

Default Re: Seeking "An Argument For"

i will be honest... with want to play fantasy games... sticky with the true and tested D&D. With want to play historical campains GURPS is the Best.

Gurps is the best system to play nowadays campains... and in my opinion the best to play cyberpunk beating even systens specifically design to do so.

If you want so play sci fi or bio tech Gurps is a good midle term compared to others systens

If you want to play supers or othes very powerful PC (such anime heroes e demigods) i would recommend others systens with specific mechanics. Try to build Wolverine in gurps and you will have a LOT of points... try to build NARUTO and you will have a LOT of points and a LOT of mechanic and powers and modificacions and to use a LOT of books and accounting.

As playing two imesional or rich characters.... gurps with his system of advantages and disadvantages make the job easier than others games but in the end this depend a lot of the PLAYER not the system... a well made background can make a great PC despite system design.

Last edited by jackcelso; 07-10-2022 at 03:03 PM.
jackcelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:13 PM   #32
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcelso View Post
i will be honest... with want to play fantasy games... sticky with the true and tested D&D. With want to play historical campains GURPS is the Best.
That might be true if what you want to play is dungeon fantasy. But fantasy is a lot wider than dungeon fantasy.

I've run several fantasy campaigns using GURPS:

Oak and Ash and Thorn: present-day British teenagers stray over the border of Faerie on midsummer's eve and wander the twilight lands, having adventures and encountering strange customs

The Foam of Perilous Seas: inhabitants of the astral and divine planes sail the seas of the astral plane in an Atlantean privateer, encountering island realms, monsters, and archetypal beings

Worminghall: magically gifted boys of 14 attend a university in Shropshire with a Faculty of Magic, learning to cast spells

Tapestry: members of various humanoid races in a Bronze Age world with animistic magic go on voyages as intercontinental trade pioneers and deal with the effects of magical rings of power on their world's history

I don't think D&D would have been the best suited engine for running any of those.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:26 PM   #33
Shostak

I don’t think D&D even does dungeon crawling very well. I’m in a 5e campaign now and am constantly frustrated with the rigidity of the system, and combat is so lacking of tactical nuance that I find it boring.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:36 PM   #34
Agemegos

“Tried and true” D&D 5th “edition” was published eight years ago. GURPS 4e was published eighteen years ago, and is more like GURPS 3e and 2e than D&D 5e is like any of its predecessors under that trademark.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:29 PM   #35
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Personally I likely would use D&D 5e to run e.g. Eberron, because I like the setting and don't especially enjoy converting, YMMV.

On the other hand, it's very clearly not D&D that's being compared here. Those three core books are not "thin" compared to GURPS's two. It's probably something like Blades in the Dark. Which may be sufficiently different in design philosophy that I can imagine a player who enjoys it, not enjoying GURPS as much. It's at least the difference between Wagner and Gershwin, or Kubrick and Abrams, and significant enough that matters of fashion and taste both apply.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:45 PM   #36
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Personally I likely would use D&D 5e to run e.g. Eberron, because I like the setting and don't especially enjoy converting, YMMV.

To my knowledge all the published Eberron adventures are still 3.5 and the 5e Eberron book is not transparently compatible with previous editions.

Only about half of my gaming group has been through my previous Eberron campaigns (and nobody else in the group has a memoery like mine) so going back to the old material is not out of the question but it could be the thing that drives us back to 3.5.

I could try and convert to Gurps but things like Warforged's natural DR and immunities would be a points cost headache. warforged are exactly the kinds of characters you don't want to try and convert into Gurps.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:49 PM   #37
Drop Bear

If you want to ease players in print up a couple of copies of Gurps Lite, atach "All in a nights work" and Die & Robbin (with the climb default added) and lone them out. it gives the players a taste and explain the kind of game you want to run. if they are on the fence or want to be sure offer to run solos or very small groups, let them use the sample characters from the Core Book and Raphael from Magic if they don't want to commit to making their own characters for the trial.

once they are confidant kick off your proper campaign.

Edit: if you are worried about things being too crunchy there is always 3e I've found the core rules to be more streamlined. 3e lite and all in a nights work come to smack on 45 pages with Dia and under 50 if you give them all the sample characters

Last edited by Drop Bear; 07-10-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Drop Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:27 PM   #38
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
To my knowledge all the published Eberron adventures are still 3.5 and the 5e Eberron book is not transparently compatible with previous editions.
Published adventures aren't especially relevant to me. The excellent Exploring Eberron is, and it is for 5e. Also I don't plan to run 3.5 ever again, and 5e is just, IMO, better. 3.5, is for me, mostly too much work once you get to around 12th level. 3.5 setting stuff, which I have most of, is easy enough to use in the new edition.

But this is also both pretty unlikely anytime soon, and probably irrelevant to the OP, who almost certainly isn't dealing with GURPS vs. D&D, based on "two thick core books" being too much

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-10-2022 at 08:32 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote