Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: is there a minimum damage? how...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
And whataboutism poison?
I'd say that a 0-point injury probably isn't enough to enter the bloodstream enough to take effect (especially since we are probably talking about TFT poisons that can take people out immediately).

If the GM wants a poison that must not break your skin at all to take effect (or e.g. Contact Posion), then they could specify that even an exactly-zero damage result will let such poisons take effect.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #12
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
I have ruled in other games that a successful hit always deals at least 1 point of damage even when there is a die-modifier that allows '0' as a possible result.
I have always played it that Cutlass 2-2 that rolled "2" and became 0 meant that no damage was done.

The idea of giving minimum point of damage seems to me to be giving these types of weapons a bonus in the rare situations when it computes to 0 or below.

So if I were to use the 'minimum' damage, instead of 1 point of damage, I would make it 1 point of fatigue. Kind of like a bruise that is tender for a period of time and when you rest it out, it goes away.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #13
flankspeed

I think I am forced to admit that the original rules intended a minimum of zero damage, but I have read somewhere in the forums that spells like Magic Fist and Fireball now do at least one point of damage per ST-point used in the spell. If this was later revised before publication, I would be curious to know.

The Fantasy Trip is clearly not intended to have the same level of detail as GURPS, but I did create my own house rule to treat a character's ST attribute as giving an identical total of Hit Points (HP) and Fatigue Points (FP). This allows wizards to cast spells without committing suicide by normally only causing them to risk unconsciousness when FP=0 rather than death at HP=0.

This also allows unarmed brawling to normally inflict only non-lethal FP damage unless the intent to kill is clearly stated, for figures to strike to subdue and inflict only FP damage when desiring to capture someone, and for FPs to be used in exerting extraordinary effort while undertaking certain actions.

But as for playing by the rules as written, I now think the Keep-It-Simple-Steve principle requires most damage rolls to have a minimum of zero damage when the modifier is negative. If I want more detail, there's always GURPS!

Last edited by flankspeed; 02-20-2019 at 12:14 AM.
flankspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:39 AM   #14
JLV

Yep, I'd say you're right on, on both counts. TFT is supposed to be simple and fast playing; GURPS is supposed to be more complex and detail oriented (but still, actually, pretty fast playing compared to some other systems out there).
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #15
Skarg

Oh yeah, missile spells are the thing that now in the new rules do specify a minimum damage, explicitly listed under each spell.

As for wizards not killing themselves, your system is rather GURPS-like, and the side-effect for brawls is nice. It has been a very common house-rule for people to say that wizards don't die unless actual damage is enough, and just pass out when fatigue + damage is enough.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #16
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
As for wizards not killing themselves, your system is rather GURPS-like, and the side-effect for brawls is nice. It has been a very common house-rule for people to say that wizards don't die unless actual damage is enough, and just pass out when fatigue + damage is enough.
Does the golden hour nap count as resting in peace?

ITL10: If an hour passes and the victim is not revived, he is deemed to have actually died.

ITL9: A figure recovers from fatigue by resting. To rest, you must sit or lie down quietly, doing nothing else. For every 15 minutes (game time) that a figure rests, he/she can regain one ST point, up to full ST.

So the ST -1 wizard is dead for an hour then yawns and sits up at ST 3, right?
Old 02-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #17
ak_aramis

Quote:
Minimum damage for weapons would make kids with thrown rocks killers.
And how is this a problem?
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #18
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
And how is this a problem?
Because you lose the ability to have some things be not always going to materially injure unarmored targets, as well as blurring the difference between the dangerousness of different kinds of low-damage attacks. It would rather shift the balance of unarmed brawls and other fights between unarmored low-damage figures (e.g. goblins, halflings, children, small animals).

2-3 rocks thrown by children start to be as deadly as getting shot with a smallbow arrow.

Last edited by Skarg; 02-20-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #19
Skarg

Quote:

ITL10: If an hour passes and the victim is not revived, he is deemed to have actually died.

ITL9: A figure recovers from fatigue by resting. To rest, you must sit or lie down quietly, doing nothing else. For every 15 minutes (game time) that a figure rests, he/she can regain one ST point, up to full ST.

I would think so, yes, except I'd say "nearly dead, not dead". Well, and I'd think he'd wake up at ST 1 after half an hour.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #20
Helborn

Quote:

I have ruled in the past that a wizard with both fatigue and physical damage at -1 ST is unconscious (unless the last hit caused enough physical damage to go to -1 ST of physical, not physical plus fatigue, damage). However, if the opponents win the combat, then also assume that the wizard's throat was cut. Otherwise he will regain consciousness when he reaches 1 ST.

Only a few times did the characters keep an opposing wizard alive to garner his ransom. Usually any Wizard on the losing side who was unconscious wound up dead.