Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2006, 03:40 AM   #241
Tsuru-Sennin

Default Re: 50-point Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan
A 25-pointer, inspired by a Basic Set Weapon Table item:

Chainsaw Arm (-20%/+55%/-80%/+0%):
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Now someone needs to do a 2-barrel shotgun as a gadget-based innate attack.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent, and empty threats the final sanctuary of the terminally inept.
Tsuru-Sennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:58 AM   #242
Der Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryaUnda
Well Connected: Modular Abilities 15 (Social Only, 0%; Only in Cities, -20%) With but a phone call, you can reach a Contact with a point total equal to the level of Well Connected. Of course, calling on a Contacts isn't much use in the middle of a break-in or gunfight... 4 points base, 4 per level; 52 points.
Powers has a Limitation if your Modular Ability only works for one advantage (IIRC that would be -50%), so if you want it to be limited to Contact add this...

P.S., I realize that this answer comes late, but hope its still usefull
Old 05-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #243
Gurps Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru-Sennin
"Hail to the king, baby!"
Oh, any resemblance is purely coincidental. :) Really. When I was working at the ability, what was in my mind was Dan Smith's illustration of a chainsaw-swinging robot in 3e GURPS Robots (off hand, I don't recall the exact page reference . . .), not a Sam Raimi film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru-Sennin
Now someone needs to do a 2-barrel shotgun as a gadget-based innate attack.
Fortunately or unfortunately, that's already modeled in Powers. Shotgun is an ability worth 10 points (p.137), and it will be even cheaper if added some gadget limitations. Just as a mental exercise, I'll try building a double-barrel model based on the Powers shotgun as a gadget:

Double-Barrel Shotgun (+60%): Small Piercing Attack 1d+1 (Breakable, DR 4, can break down, SM -3, -35%; Can Be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%; Increased 1/2D, *5, +10%; Limited Use, 1 use/2 shots, Slow Reload, -35%; Rapid Fire, RoF 2*9, +150%) [7]. 7 points.

Too cheap . . . Clearly there's no place for this weapon in this 50-point thread.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #244
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan
Chainsaw Arm (-20%/+55%/-80%/+0%):
Arm ST +5 (One arm; Temporary Disadvantage, Electrical, -20%) [12] + Cutting Attack 1d (Melee Attack, Reach 1, Cannot Parry, ST-Based, +70%; Nuisance Effect, Noisy!, -5%; Takes Extra Time 1, -10%) [11] + DR 2 (Can't Wear Armor, -40%; Partial, One arm only, -40%) [2] + Unnatural Feature (Unproportionally huge muscle on the arm) [-1].
I'm not sure 'noisy' is a valid limitation on an innate attack. See the description of the default signature under the 'Low or No Signature' enhancement on B106.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #245
Fabricati

Well, how would you model the low throaty rumble a chainsaw has while it's Readied, but not attacking anyone without Noisy?
Old 05-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #246
Der Wanderer

Ring of Mine Mine Mine [25/level]
Affliction (Warp (Reduced Range 10 m -50%; Psi -10%; Reliable +8 +40%; Anchored to the Ring -60%) +200%; Gadget (Can be stolen -10%; Unique -25%; Breakable DR5 -15%) -50%; Malediction II +150%; Reduced Range 10m -30%; Only on Objects -40%; Takes Recharge 1h -30%; Limited uses 2/day -30%; Costs 1 FP -10%; Psi -10%)

Description:
It is a small Gadget (e.g. a ring) that lets you warp any object into your hand, twice a day, with at least 1h in between. The object cannot be more than 10 meters away. It costs you 2 FP (1 Affliction + 1 Warp). You roll vs. IQ -2 (+Psi Talent) for the Warp and your Will (+ Psi Talent) for the Affliction

Designers Notes
- I had to use Malediction to bypass the DR since they can be rather high (e.g. for a sword), however objects have no Will so I assume they would resist using their HT... or if someone is holding/wearing the object it would be a contest vs. his Will...
- I was thinking long about adding the Psi Limitation to Warp AND the Affliction, though since both require an activation roll it seems to make sense to do so...
Old 05-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #247
Der Wanderer

me, myself and my clone

Ring of Duplication [25 CPs]

Mind Link (Your Dupe; Gadget (Can be stolen -10%; Unique -25%; Breakable DR5 -15%) -50%) [3]
Mind Reading (Only One Specific Person -80%; Only While Telesend -20%; Sensory Only -20%; Gadget (Can be stolen -10%; Unique -25%; Breakable DR5 -15%) -50%) [6]
Telesend (One Person Only -80%; Gadget (Can be stolen -10%; Unique -25%; Breakable DR5 -15%) -50%) [6]
Enhanced Tracking (Gadget (Can be stolen -10%; Unique -25%; Breakable DR5 -15%) -50%) [3]
Duplication 1 (Duplicate Gear +100%; Takes Extra Time 5 sec -20%; Maximum Duration 30 min -25%; Takes Recharge 1h -30%; Limited uses 2/day -30%; Costs 3 FP -30%; Gadget (Can be stolen -10%; Unique -25%; Breakable DR5 -15%) -50%) [7]

Description
This little Gadget (e.g. a ring) lets you Duplicate yourself (Inclucing all your Gear) twice a day for 30 min, with at least 65 minutes inbetween. To do so you must spend 3 FP and it takes you 5 seconds.
Furthermore, you percieve everything your Dupe does (Mind Reading + Enhanced Tracking) and can send thoughts to him (Telesend)

Ring of Duplication [50 CPs]
Changes on Duplication (Remove the Maximum Duration, Limited Uses and Reduce to 2 FP/use) result in a cost of [32 CPs]

Ring of the Clone [74 CPs]
Additional changes on Duplication (Add Construct +60% and Reduce to 1 FP/use) result in a cost of [56 CPs]
Any good ideas for a perk?
Old 05-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #248
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabricati
Well, how would you model the low throaty rumble a chainsaw has while it's Readied, but not attacking anyone without Noisy?
Sorry, I assumed it was being used to represent the noise of the attack... I suppose it's perfectly reasonable to have an additional limitation for a power which is noisy even when you aren't attacking with it.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #249
Der Wanderer

Kiss Clairsentience Goodbye... [52 CPs]

Mind Link 2 (Your Dupes) [10]
Mind Reading (Dupes only -60%; Sensory Only -20%) [6]
Telesend (Dupes only -60%; Only While Mind Reading -20%) [6]
Enhanced Tracking 2 [10]
Duplicate 2 (Preparation Required 1 h -50%; Takes Extra Time 5 secs -20%; Costs 1 FP -10%) [14]
Shapeshifting (Observer; Dupe Only -40%; Always Triggers upon Duplication -20%) [6]

Observer Racial Template [-2 CPs]
ST -10 [-100]; HP +10 [20]
SM -10
Injury Tolerance (Diffuse; Swarm (Always On -50%; Reduced Area (100m Radius) -30%) +8%) [108]
Dark Vision [25]
Mute [-25]
Doesn't eat or drink [10]
Doesn't Sleep [20]
No Manipulators [-50]
No Legs (Sort of Sessile; Always centered around Original) [-10]

Description:
OK, very munshkiny ;) its the consequence of the Ring of Duplication and me playing around with a character who has Clairsentience...
you have TWO dupes, that are a (almost) invisible, insubstantial cloud around you (100 m radius). They cannot move on their own but move with you. But more important, they can focus their senses anywhere in that area, and changing that focus only takes a ready maneuver... You percive everything they do (Mind Reading + Enhanced Tracking) and you can communicate with them using Telesend. They don't need light to see (Dark Vision)... and everything without you concentrating...
And also there are now always three, who have the chance to remember something, or to spot a hidden object... you can listen two three conversations...

Designer Notes
- SM -10, results in the same overall density as with IT (Diffuse/Swarm/r=500m) of a SM 0 creature
- No Legs, well theroetically this could be modeled using Dependency or something...
- The Observer Template can of course be more munchkinized

Downsize to 25 CPs
Reduce to 1 dupe (Mindlink 1; Enhanced Tracking 1; Duplicate 1)
Add Paranoia (or any other Disadvantage worth -10CPs)

Upgrade to 75 CPs
Change IT (Diffuse / Swarm) so it can affect the substantial world => +16% or +8 CPs in the template
Add Quirk (Never peep on women in the shower) [-1] and TK 4 [20] or an IA that costs nomore than 20 CPs
That increases the template to 25 CPs *0.9 = 23 CPs and therefore the package will then cost you 75 CPs
Your dupes can now help you with TK4, and if you have other abilities (Magic; IAs) they can use them too.

Last edited by Der Wanderer; 05-17-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Der Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:09 PM   #250
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Observer Racial Template [-2 CPs]
ST -10 [-100]; HP +10 [20]
SM -10
Injury Tolerance (Diffuse; Swarm (Always On -50%; Reduced Area (100m Radius) -30%) +8%) [108]
Dark Vision [25]
Mute [-25]
Doesn't eat or drink [10]
Doesn't Sleep [20]
No Manipulators [-50]
No Legs (Sort of Sessile; Always centered around Original) [-10]
I don't know that the Always On you have on Diffuse is valid; given the example Power from Powers (not sure of the page #) with Injury Tolerance (Diffuse, Swarm, Switchable) [190], it would seem to imply that Swarm is Always On automatically. Even if the Always On modifier is valid in this case, Swarm with -80% limitations would be +16%, not +8%.

So, without Always On, you end up with Injury Tolerance (Diffuse: Swarm ((Reduced Area, -30%) +56%) [156].

With Always On, you end up with Injury Tolerance (Diffuse: Swarm ((Always On, -50%, Reduced Area, -30%) +16%) [116].
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurpsland, house rules, pdf, powers, sample powers