Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
Anders

Default Cobra Kai... Never Die!

The brainchild of John "STRIKE FIRST STRIKE HARD NO MERCY" Kreese, this style isn't just hard... it's ultra-hard.

Cobra Kai
5 points

Skills: Intimidation; Karate; Karate Sport; Savoir-Faire (Dojo)
Techniques: Aggressive Parry; Attack from Above; Axe Kick; Combination (Sweep the leg -> Stamp Kick); Counterattack; Elbow Strike; Exotic Hand Strike; Jump Kick; Stamp Kick; Sweep*
Cinematic Skills: Breaking Blow; Kiai Shout; Power Blow; Pressure Points; Pressure Secrets
Cinematic Techniques: Flying Jump Kick; Lethal Kick; Lethal Strike
Perks: Clinch (Karate, Karate Sport); Penetrating Voice; Unusual Training (Kai Shout)

*the leg. Always the leg.

Optional Traits
Secondary Characteristics: Increased Basic Speed
Advantages: Combat Reflexes; High Pain Threshold; Unfazeable
Disadvantages: Bad Temper; Duty (Sensei); Intolerance (Asians); Noisy; OPH (Large Ham)
Skills: Body Language, Jumping

This style is exceptionally aggressive, never going for a Regular Attack when a Committed Attack could be use. There is a special emphasis on crippling the opponents' legs, and then sweeping to get them on the ground. Following up with a Stamp Kick, the Cobra Kai practitioners always goes for the kill.

ETA: Removed Iron Hands; added Body Language

Last edited by Anders; 07-12-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Cobra Kai... Never Die!

Well done, Sir. :]

Wasn't Kreese some kind of Special Forces in 'Nam? I'd probably add Technique Adaptation (LINE) or something like that.

I'd definitely remove Iron Hands and SE: DR. Johnny and the boys react normally when they actually get hit, and even Kreese himself bleeds profusely when he accidentally punches out a car window.

The leg focus, while funny here, came about in the movie because Daniel's leg was already injured. Kreese is just a keen observer who attacks the weakest point, whatever that is. Maybe add Optional: Body Language for that?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Anders

Maybe I should add an inability to defend against Crane Kicks.

A Defense Hole - -1 to defend against a particular technique - what would that be worth?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

A Defense Hole - -1 to defend against a particular technique - what would that be worth?
Meh. Not even a Quirk, unless it's well-known. I'd balance it with a +1 vs something else and call it a Feature.

Crane Kick Technique (normal and completely over-the-top versions) written up with its own defense penalties available here.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Anders

Next I'll do the Luis Suarez football school. Style Perks include Skill Adaptation (Bite attacks can be based on Sports (Football)).
Old 07-12-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Next I'll do the Luis Suarez football school. Style Perks include Skill Adaptation (Bite attacks can be based on Sports (Football)).
Totally valid.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #7
Not

Your players should get extra character points if they grow out their hair and wear product to your game.
Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
It's not that specific. It's actually a fairly broad weakness.

Overconfidence with a number of about 6 on it would be the simple way. OPH:Stupid (-15)might also cover it but if you want to be flamboyant you describe it as Delusion: Believes Queen song "Princes of the Universe" from Highlander is about himself.

("I am Immortal! I have inside me blood of Kings!...")

In other words it's a thoughtless and reckless style inadequate for dealing with any skilled opponent. Anybody who performs anything but the "Not in the face! Not in the face!" kata is the sort of threat who will be underestimated.

Tags
humor, martial arts style, movie