Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #11
Gedrin

Default Re: Does Dr. Drexler know about Drexler?

Baring some way to maintain cultural cohesion, the same creative thought and mutations that give the manifesto the stars, will probably make them competitors with those that share an ancestor.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #12
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
One of the Hell Worlds of Infinite Worlds is covered in "gray goo" nanobots that have destroyed all life on the planet. I looked up Dr. Eric Drexler and was fascinated to find he's still alive(!), which got me wondering--imagine how that conversation must have gone if SJ Games contacted him*!
Dude, grey goo was Drexler's own idea from his original book, and he's gone to considerable trouble since then to point out that it's not all that people have made of it; replicators need suitable chemical and energy inputs like any other molecules that make molecules, and get broken down by other molecules still.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:57 AM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Dude, grey goo was Drexler's own idea from his original book, and he's gone to considerable trouble since then to point out that it's not all that people have made of it; replicators need suitable chemical and energy inputs like any other molecules that make molecules, and get broken down by other molecules still.
It doesn't have to have the physics breaking powers of such fiction to end the world. If it acted as if every blob of macroscopic to virus size organics actively attacked humanity in ways normal life can, we would be completely screwed.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:05 AM   #14
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Oooh, can I steal this band name for flavor in my GURPS Rifts game? I think I've had enough use of Erratic Juju, Urban Renewal, and Naruni Own My Sister; I need something new musically to toss at my players.
Don't forget the Estranged Subway Kittens!

(And the Philosophy Majors, a la Steven Universe)
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drexler, humor, infinite worlds, what if