Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 09-19-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
TRumbach

Default Race game

My head is spinning like a slick tread in mud. I can hardly wait for the game. With that in mind, here's a idea for a quick game using the game tiles.

Six straights are laid out in a 2x3 pattern.
Cars are placed on the edge and road of tile one and speed 2.
Use 4 colored token, (meeples, pawns or spare bases). Draw them randomly and place them at the near edge of tile 2. (From a bag or cup)
Cars then race to their colored token. (Tokens do not affect game play)
Players get 1 point if the drive over their color.
Remove the token when either passed or driven over.
Redrawn randomly are place at start of tile 3.
Add new straight tiles and remove back tiles until 10 tile race is over.

First player to leave the last tile (10) gets 3 bonus points
Second player 2 points
Third player 1.

Add the total points for Spots driven over.

For added flavor, no shooting until all players on on the second tile.

Your thoughts are welcome.
TRumbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
43Supporter

Default Re: Race game

Interesting idea -- I'll want to see how effective dropped weapons are in 6E, in order to see if they need to be limited in some form. (I've seen too many "racing" events turn into "who gets to deploy his dropped weapons first".)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
PresidentTwoeagles

You can only have four "shots" for an equipped dropped weapon (as shown on the card). Of course, you can change that for your scenario, but that's how it was designed.

Touching a mine makes you lose that movement point (similar to a collision, but touching a mine is NOT a collision). Concussion mines deal 2 damage, and take away 2 control. Fire mines do 1 control loss, 2 damage, and 1 fire. The rules PDF we've seen isn't clear on what happens if a car doesn't have control tokens to lose. Maybe regular damage? Explosion results from rockets for a car already out of control take damage instead.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
HeatDeath

Whenever a car is forced to spend control tokens it doesn't have, it will take tire damage equal to the control token deficit, and, if the control tokens were lost due to a maneuver, spin out. A two control token deficit spinout will move the rear end of the car an angle equivalent to a D2 turn.

Also, obviously, it will possibly go out of control if it is now at zero control tokens.

I don't think the mines force a spin out, since the control token loss is not due to maneuvering. The dropped weapons rules specifically say that if you hit a mine while doing a maneuver, you don't resolve the maneuver until after you resolve the mine hit [which is not, as you say, technically a collision].
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
PresidentTwoeagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
Whenever a car is forced to spend control tokens it doesn't have, it will take tire damage equal to the control token deficit, and, if the control tokens were lost due to a maneuver, spin out. A two control token deficit spinout will move the rear end of the car an angle equivalent to a D2 turn.

Also, obviously, it will possibly go out of control if it is now at zero control tokens.

I don't think the mines force a spin out, since the control token loss is not due to maneuvering. The dropped weapons rules specifically say that if you hit a mine while doing a maneuver, you don't resolve the maneuver until after you resolve the mine hit [which is not, as you say, technically a collision].
I was talking about the dropped weapons rules. Yeah, the discrepancy there is another specific rule for blast effects where a car out of control takes 1 damage for the effect, not tire damage. I mean, I guess you could say that a mine exploding will probably damage tires anyway, so the OOC -> tire damage rule makes sense. The mine's control loss is not technically a blast effect, but the blast effect says you pay control. So you could go either way. If the mine had the blast icons instead of the control icons, it would be more straightforward. But the rules say only one blast effect does anything, the rest are damage, so... yeah, we need a clearer rule (and maybe they've done that since we've seen the PDFs)

Edit: Ok I thought about it and I think the tire damage on OOC makes sense. You're getting screwed enough by the damage from the mine.

Last edited by PresidentTwoeagles; 09-20-2021 at 12:51 PM.
PresidentTwoeagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:27 PM   #6
43Supporter

Then there's the "initiative" problem: When the guy at the back of the pack has to move first, and has no alternative but to crash into someone, or slow *way* down....

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #7
HeatDeath

You'd have to start everyone line abreast across the start, and not assess victory until the last person to move on the final turn finishes their move.

This gives the person on the inside a slight advantage if the track is curved, which can be resolved by either making the course a straight drag, or curvy enough that things will more or less cancel out.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
PresidentTwoeagles

Yeah the rookie race video did it that way, where the person farthest past the finish line was the winner. As it turned out, only Hunter was able to finish at all, so it was moot anyway :)

If cars can't be abreast, maybe roll some dice to determine pole position and have one person in front with the first player marker.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:21 AM   #9
TRumbach

The starting position:

Cars are placed on the edge and road of tile one and speed 2.

The tiles have a two lane section in the middle. Two cars, off road part, then two cars. If your color pops up across the median, you have to cross it.

I'm not seeing an issue. Maybe I'm missing something.
TRumbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:45 PM   #10
woodchuck

Autoduel Biathlon

Car shoots a various targets both fixed and moving from both stationary and moving stages. Take a lap between targets and it you miss take another lap. Maybe a short cut that requires difficult maneuvers. It would be a good way to teach the game to newbies or just learn the rules.