Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Brawling in Battlesuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engurrand View Post
Could you grapple and pull their helmet off, or the emergency release pin, or some such? I don't own UT.
UT doesn't say anything either way. Logically, the answer would depend on fine details of the particular suit used. Either yes or no on manual exterior controls is plausible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engurrand View Post
Medieval knights carried knives for this purpose. If hand to hand with other battle suited soldiers is remotely possible, you'd imagine they'd carry a cutting tool that can target chinks in the armor.
A cutting tool is just about always wrong for defeating armor, and a stabbing tool generally won't work either against power armor (which has no gaps and plenty of DR at the chinks).

A shaped charge limpet mine dispenser will work pretty well though.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
A cutting tool is always wrong for defeating armor, and a stabbing tool generally won't work either against power armor (which has no gaps and plenty of DR at the chinks).

Unless it is an AD(10) cutting tool, which makes 3d+1d capable of penetrating DR100.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Jovus

Quote:
A cutting tool is always wrong for defeating armor, and a stabbing tool generally won't work either against power armor (which has no gaps and plenty of DR at the chinks).

Check me if I'm wrong, but a limpet mine is effectively a very powerful stabbing tool. And so yes, you're both right - a misericord is a low-tech limpet mine.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Critical

Quote:
A cutting tool is just about always wrong for defeating armor, and a stabbing tool generally won't work either against power armor (which has no gaps and plenty of DR at the chinks).

What would the DR at the chinks be for a heavy battlesuit? Does something like that which is sealed and made of TL 10 composites even have chinks?
Critical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
Engurrand

Quote:

Yes... I misspoke. I meant to say a cutting tool like an oxyacetylene torch is a cutting tool or other, higher tech version. At any tech level, a muscle powered cutting implement like a knife or a sword would be poor use against chinks in armor unless used to stab, in which case, it isn't a cutting tool.
Engurrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
Jovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
What would the DR at the chinks be for a heavy battlesuit? Does something like that which is sealed and made of TL 10 composites even have chinks?
If it has any moving, separable parts (i.e., not made of something like living metal or intelligent nanotech swarms or exotic biologies or force fields) whatsoever, it has 'chinks', though what their DR is and how vulnerable they are could vary wildly.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
It's not stated how the joints are constructed, but it's the nature of joints to be weak spots.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Not thinking about it, standard rules give it chinks with half DR in each hit location, with specified hit penalties.

With thinking about it a little, they're probably going to be there for anything where the primary armor material is rigid plates, mostly the bad sides of joints and the like. Should they be half DR, more, less? They probably shouldn't really be exactly half DR, that's just a convenient generic value.

If you're being really detailed, they could vary by model of armor. With some geometry, we could probably figure out how thick inside-joint protection could be without blocking flexibility, and then try to hybridize that with an estimate of DR/thickness for various TLs to figure out maxima, but that's too tricky for me at the moment.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #19
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Not thinking about it, standard rules give it chinks with half DR in each hit location, with specified hit penalties.
This (the rule in, I think, LTC2) was the basis for the rules for damaging armor by grappling in, well, the upcoming grappling book.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
Critical

Quote:

With thinking about it a little, they're probably going to be there for anything where the primary armor material is rigid plates, mostly the bad sides of joints and the like. Should they be half DR, more, less? They probably shouldn't really be exactly half DR, that's just a convenient generic value.

If you're being really detailed, they could vary by model of armor. With some geometry, we could probably figure out how thick inside-joint protection could be without blocking flexibility, and then try to hybridize that with an estimate of DR/thickness for various TLs to figure out maxima, but that's too tricky for me at the moment.
So, going with the quick-and-dirty by-the-book method, that's DR 75 for chinks in the torso and head and DR 50 for chinks elsewhere. That is still beyond the ability of the aforementioned brawler to damage, barring various highly improbable critical hit/critical miss events. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just making the observation.
Critical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battlesuit, battlesuits, brawling, ultra-tech, ultratech, unarmed combat