Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Bathawk

Default "Wall of Force"

Having another difficulty finding a reference for an example on p.147 of "Powers".. The example for "Wall of Force" is DR:6 "per level"....is this "per level of the 17pt. example....or "level" as in dice of damage? (the example uses a 2dcruhing attack as an example)

Again I apologize but I can't find where it states innate attacks are to be used for "force walls"...though certain I'm just missing it
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: "Wall of Force"

Look at the rules for the Wall enhancement on B109. Wall of force is an example of that.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Anthony

Look at the rules for the Wall enhancement on B109. Wall of force is a rigid wall based on a crushing attack.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Anaraxes

The point cost per level of the ability includes all the Enhancements and Limitations. If you wanted to make the wall stronger, you'd presumably keep all those. So, the 17 point cost is per level of the ability as described in the Powers text.

To be precise, there aren't any dice of damage involved, as rigid walls don't do "damage", and this build has No Wounding in it. The most basic Advantage in the ability is Innate Attack, which does start with dice of damage. You'll notice given the build in Powers that one level of the ability includes 2 levels of Innate Attack (2 dice of damage, if it were an attack). Wall changes that to 3 DR per level of IA; the Wall of Force has DR 6 per level of Wall of Force, and written that way, there's no way to buy "half a level" / one level of IA / one dice of damage.

So, if you wanted, you could rewrite the ability to buy it in multiples of 3 DR rather than 6. Since point costs round up (after you do the math), rather than 10 CP +70% = 17 points per level, you'd have 5 CP +70% = 8.5 -> 9 CP per level. Or you could just say that each odd level of these 3 DR levels costs you an extra CP when it rounds up, as you'd get if you recalculated from scratch -- or to put it yet another way, there's a surcharge of half the number of levels you buy, rounded up.

Perhaps they didn't want to get that fussy on the details in an the example, so just made it an even number of levels of IA to start with. Then the subject of half CPs and rounding doesn't even come up.

Or you could price the 3 DR version at 9 CP per, and always slightly overcharge the character. Or price it at 8 per, and always slightly undercharge them, with the difference growing with the number of levels involved. That probably wouldn't break your game, but the discrepancy would annoy some people
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wall, wall of force