Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #71
Grunker

Default Re: Help needed with leveled powers

Am I the biggest idiot known to man-kind? I thought the -80% was a hard cap on limitations, but do you subtract enhancements from this? What you're saying makes me think you do. If so a lot of my problems are solved, and I am officially a dumb bastard ;)

EDIT: A bunch of my Signs seem kind of overpowered if you do.

Last edited by Grunker; 05-01-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #72
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunker View Post
Am I the biggest idiot known to man-kind? I thought the -80% was a hard cap on limitations, but do you subtract enhancements from this? What you're saying makes me think you do. If so a lot of my problems are solved, and I am officially a dumb bastard ;)

EDIT: A bunch of my Signs seem kind of overpowered if you do.
The total modifier can't go lower than -80%. For example, if you have +50% in enhancements and -120% in limitations, the total is -70%, not -30%.

Also, this is why I love the forums. Without it, my own misconceptions can easily go unchallenged.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #73
Grunker

Oh dear lord. That is one huge misconception though. Thanks.

I have some editing to do, I will be back with the final results and then I'll start Quen and Yrden.

Again, thanks a lot. The fact that I get this much help really heightens the quality of the final product, that goes without saying.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #74
Gnomasz

Quote:
Another thing: Is magical a limitation that should be put on magic powers?
If it's limiting it's use, then yes. I mean, if it's affected by mana level or antimagic, just like Spells are. I've read the books a couple of years ago, so I don't remember it (I've got some impression that Geralt was once affected by drugs so he couldn't use signs, but this could be another hero of another novel).

I still think that Regeneration would work for Quen, but I do agree that custom limitation on DR would be better.

As for jet/cone combination, I think it works well and it needs no change. Malediction/cone works also fine.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 AM   #75
Grunker

Malediction doesn't work for Aard as previously discussed :)

As for magical, they now are. Spells that affect spells interact with the Signs and Magic Resistance does too, so... Thanks.

I'm finalising the signs we've made so far, with layout and everything, so you can see an example of how the final result will look. I'm hoping you'll take a look at them and see if you can spot any mistakes or similar.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #76
Kyra

Quote:
Level 1:
Base Advantage: Innate Attack (Crushing) level 1
Enhancements: Double Knockback, Malediction (Will vs. HT to hit), Cone (2 meters)
Limitations: Costs FP to Use (1FP per use), No Wounding, Nuissance Effect (Obvious)
Point cost: 11 points
Level 2
Base Advantage: Innate Attack (Crushing) level 2
Enhancements: Double Knockback, Malediction (Will vs. HT to hit), Cone (2 meters)
Limitations: Costs FP to Use (2FP per use), No Wounding, Nuissance Effect (Obvious)
Level 3:
Base Advantage: Innate Attack (Crushing) level 3
Enhancements: Double Knockback, Malediction (Will vs. HT to hit), Cone (3 meters)
Limitations: Costs FP to Use (3FP per use), No Wounding, Nuissance Effect (Obvious)
Point cost: 12 points
Level 4:
Base Advantage: Innate Attack (Crushing) level 4
Enhancements: Double Knockback, Malediction (Will vs. HT to hit), Cone (3 meters)
Limitations: Costs FP to Use (4FP per use), No Wounding, Nuissance Effect (Obvious)
Level 5:
Base Advantage: Innate Attack (Crushing) level 5
Enhancements: Double Knockback, Malediction (Will vs. HT to hit), Cone (4 meters)
Limitations: Costs FP to Use (5FP per use), No Wounding, Nuissance Effect (Obvious)
Point cost: 12 points
I'd like to point out a couple things that look strange in your power build, i hope you won't take it bad.

1) you don't need to stack malediction and cone, actually you can't at all. If the idea behind the design is to have an attack that automatically hits (cone) but still gives a chance to resist the knockback, you can give it a Resistable limitation, that will actually lower the cost, not increase it.

2) i see the need to put a FP cost to the ability, but my suggestion is to not ramp it up to 5, that's kinda harsh, and will most likely be crippling combat-wise (in case you didn't consider the fact that someone going under 1/3 FP is at half move and dodge). So you might want to stop at a 2 FP cost. Just a suggestion, i have no idea if the witcher has access to fast FP regeneration.

And i just realized this discussion has a 3 page worth of replies, so my points are most likely been discussed already. I apologize for any redundancy.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #77
Grunker

Actually it has 8 :P

Thanks for the effort none the less, but your first point has been dealt with - the power no longer has malediction, it combines Jet and Cone.

As for FP, this point will be brought up much later. The witchers do indeed have access to fast FP-regeneration via alchemy, and they can craft many potions in an 8-hour brewing time, so this alchemy isn't as lengthy as normal alchemy.

If you're still interested, I hope you'll come back and comment on the FP-costs once you've seen the entire compendium :)

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: For now, hold off commenting until I put up the "finished" versions of the first four signs. Then the commenting can effectively restart :D
Old 05-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #78
Gnomasz

Alright, I think there's one thing that acts a bit like re-castable ablative DR, but it has some drawbacks.

It's Binding.
Long story short, IMHO Binding 3 (Engulfing, +60%, One-Shot, -10%, Accessibility: self only, -50%) [6] works very similarly to combination of:
DR 1 (Accessibility: only with DR 3, -10%) is [4.5]
DR 3 (Re-castable ablative, -x%; switchable, +10%; Temporary Disadvantages: Lame-Paraplegic and No Fine Manipulators, -60%)
As such, That DR 3 should cost 6 - 4.5 = 1.5 (barring minimum of 20% base advantage), which is 10% of plain DR 3, so net modifier should be -90%. Re-castable ablative, -40% grants that. Seems fine to me.

But we have to consider one thing: DR is an Always On advantage and re-casting is more like transient. Binding, if unbroken, lasts infinitely. With that in mind, re-castable ablative DR should probably work like this:
As a ready maneuver, you can switch your DR on. It lasts until broken (like it's ablative), and then you can switch it on again, unbroken. Add switchable, +10%, if you want to be able to switch it off before it's fully broken and then turn it on again, full; -40%.

To make it work only for minute we need to add Maximum Duration, but this comes with 5 minute recharge. Without it, maximum duration of 1 minute is probably a nuissance.

So Quen could be:
DR 20 (re-castable ablative, -40%; Force Field, +20%; Maximum Duration, 1 min, -65%; Costs Fatigue 1, -5%; Gesture Required, -10%; Hardened 1, +20%), -80% [20] (Hardened to not waste percents)
In a Ready maneuver, with gesture and 1 FP you can activate force field that grants you 20 ablative DR. It reduces armor divisor of stopped attacks by one step (but not below 1). Quen, if not broken, lasts one minute. After Quen ends, because of time or being destroyed, you can't use it again for 5 minutes.

or

DR 20 (re-castable ablative, -40%; Force Field, +20%; Costs Fatigue 1, -5%; lasts 1 minute maximum, -5%; Gesture Required, -10%), -40% [60]
In a Ready maneuver, with gesture and 1 FP you can activate force field that grants you 20 ablative DR. Quen, if not broken, lasts one minute. After that you have to activate it again, with full DR.

Edit: Oh... Now I'm holding off, I swear.

Last edited by Gnomasz; 05-02-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #79
Grunker

Thanks Gnomasz!

Quen and Yrden won't be in the preliminary version I'll put up, so thanks for the suggestions.

I'm finished with Aard, Axii and Heliotrop now. I have an appointment right now, but I'll get Igni finished as soon as possible and then put up the results in this thread :)
Old 05-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #80
Grunker

First version finished! :D

Take a look at it if you please - these are "finished" versions as far as I'm considered (meaning until you guys shout at me what is broken and what I've missed)!

Thanks in advance for taking a look.

CLICK ME! (or right-click and choose 'Save As')

Tags
adaptation, fantasy