Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Rowan

Default GURPS: Spaceships Inquiry.

Came up with an idea for a Transhuman style solar sail ship. Run by a large collection of families. I mean really large. On the order of a quarter million folks. Wanted to make it a rock body/armour (hollowed out asteroid) that spun for gravity. Uses solar panels for power and travels the system virtually non-stop with a large solar sail or plasma sail.

Ran into a problem. A spaceship cannot be given a space sail if it's SM exceeds it's TL.

So as I understand it, Transhuman space is TL 10. So that means I can only make the ship as big as SM +10 yes?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: GURPS: Spaceships Inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
So as I understand it, Transhuman space is TL 10.
That's the general consensus. Basically, TL10 with delayed "fast pulse power storage," i.e. the power cells necessary for TL10 personal energy weapons.

A ship like the one you mention might work better as a cycler. Place it in an eccentric solar orbit so it will make periodic close passes to Earth and Mars. More station than ship at that point, perhaps.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Default Re: GURPS: Spaceships Inquiry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Came up with an idea for a Transhuman style solar sail ship. Run by a large collection of families. I mean really large. On the order of a quarter million folks. Wanted to make it a rock body/armour (hollowed out asteroid) that spun for gravity. Uses solar panels for power and travels the system virtually non-stop with a large solar sail or plasma sail.

Ran into a problem. A spaceship cannot be given a space sail if it's SM exceeds it's TL.

So as I understand it, Transhuman space is TL 10. So that means I can only make the ship as big as SM +10 yes?
Some parts of TS are TL11. If you want to fund it an say the sail uses some experimental nanotech or something, go ahead and make it TL11.

Tags
spaceships, transhuman space