Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Lancewholelot

Default Re: What would it be like to wake up with 20 dex?

It would likely be a lot like this:

https://youtu.be/pU7H2Nj-HLA
Lancewholelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Gedrin

You'd probably notice something immediately. However, this likely registers as "I feel great today!"

Tangibly, you might notice how smooth things were going. You'd get ready for work quicker. You'd naturally move at your jogging pace (your Move goes up a good bit). That door that sticks if you don't jiggle the knob just right, it's "fixed". Depending on your line of work, you might find yourself in a charmed world. Any physical endeavor, from stocking shelves to construction labor, becomes a great deal easier.

Suddenly, people complement you on your dancing and rhythm. You dominate at office ping pong. Effortlessly, you take the steps two at a time. Trick or treaters are taking pictures of the pumpkin you carved (not "art" but an amazing likeness...). You might not be able to put a finger on why, but a large swath of your life is suddenly feeling like it's on the right track.

Waking up with ten levels of any GURPS basic stat, with the possible exception of ST (which would be much easier to detect, guage and directly use) would be completely amazing.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #13
Not

I think we picked the right one to do. As you said, ST would be obvious. IQ would put you on another level entirely. HT you could conceivably not notice until you had to exert yourself or decided to end it all by drinking poison to no effect.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #14
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancewholelot View Post
It would likely be a lot like this:

https://youtu.be/pU7H2Nj-HLA
Nice clip. Makes the point.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #15
whswhs

Larry Niven says that when you change from adult human to Protector, the first thing you think is, "I've been stupid." And Protectors are probably around IQ 20. I'd guess the first thing you think when you gain DX 20 is, "I've been clumsy."

There are a whole lot of things you can suddenly do at a better than professional level off your default: Acrobatics-14 and Dancing-15, even if you've never learned the simplest form of either. Stealth-15. So I think it's going to be obvious to you exactly how to move.

Do you also get increased Basic Speed? Having my Basic Speed go up by around +3 is going to be pretty impressive.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #16
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
I think we picked the right one to do. As you said, ST would be obvious. IQ would put you on another level entirely. HT you could conceivably not notice until you had to exert yourself or decided to end it all by drinking poison to no effect.
Oh, I'd notice a HT boost, as soon as I realized I wasn't having trouble breathing when I walked past the smoking area at work.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #17
cdru

I don't have good dexterity.So,having 20 dex would be immediately noticed.
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:15 PM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post
I don't have good dexterity.So,having 20 dex would be immediately noticed.
Where I did have good dexterity (and probably still do, just with penalties), and if the arthritis and being very overweight were gone tomorrow morning... I'd notice immediately.

If not, If I got say a +8 to my DX (I rate my old self at DX 12), it might be a bit before I'd notice. I'd still be creaky and a bit slow. I might notice I could more easily balance putting on my boots while still standing (I still do this even though it hurts and I'm a bit wobbly*), or maybe I could catch the feisty 1 year old cats when they do drive by ankle attacks.

But those would probably be my firs tip offs.

But I'm fairly sedentary. Some who does athletic things on a routine basis would no doubt notice a lot faster, if not the first time they did something that required grace or adroitness.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #19
cdru

About career: My character is elite battlesuit soldier (who relies on equipment,not skills) with 12 dex.He would notice outrunning other PCs and being accurate like a sniper.He would be a war hero with such skills

Last edited by cdru; 11-08-2015 at 08:45 PM.
cdru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #20
Gedrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
You'd notice HT pretty quick too. Wake up refreshed. Get to the car quicker (for different reasons). Jog into the office filled with boundless energy. On the way in the lady at the convenience store, donut shop, and front desk all looked at you in a way you'd not really expected. Jog into the office filled with boundless energy.

Again, overnight, your life is charmed, just in different ways. It's a massive change to how you interact with the world.
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stats