Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #101
SRoach

Default Re: What would it be like to wake up with 20 dex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't see why that would fall under HT. It looks to me like it would be better Per, or maybe Acute Vision.
Maybe high HT would help with the need for bifocals, but not normal corrective lenses.

As for DX, I might realize I felt great, but I don't know if I'd associate it to a suddenly improved attribute without some experimental sample.
I might even wonder if someone had doped me, if I was suddenly hyperconscious of every inch of my body and it's position relative to the rest of me.

Both my DX and my IQ are above average. I have noticed the experience of suffering penalties to IQ tests, and DX tests, due to fatigue, but, at least with the IQ, I don't necessarily NOTICE I'm not thinking at my clearest until I realize my diction has become retarded, my ability to retain multiple details in memory has become degraded, my capacity to avoid distraction has been impeded, my skills at mental math, reduced, and my Will to resist the temptation to do things which are patently harmful to me, such as stay up yet another hour hitting refresh, weakened.
And yet, I don't NOTICE my IQ has taken a hit, only that I'm suddenly suffering penalties to things which, when fully awake and rested, I take for granted.
When I'm sleep deprived is also when I fumble my keys, am more prone to typos, less able to remove my boots without sitting down first, etc.

Mind you, I don't feel my best, but I don't associate that sleepy, half-numb feeling with either impaired IQ or DX.
SRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:38 AM   #102
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Though insane Health would allow more ability to adjust the lens to compensate for poor vision of a purely focus problem. Divers that don't use face masks often strengthen their ability to adjust to water's different refractive index, if I remember correctly.
[citation needed]
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #103
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRoach View Post
Mind you, I don't feel my best, but I don't associate that sleepy, half-numb feeling with either impaired IQ or DX.
In contrast, one of my players used to refer to having "a stupid cold," and that's led me to notice certain states of illness that lower my IQ. I don't think there's any innate impossibility; I think it's just how you're in the habit of identifying your mental state.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #104
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

If I woke up with an Attribute at 20, I would be absolutely certain I had it no higher than 15 because not only am I a stat normalizer, I have Low Self-Image.

Tags
stats