Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default I Never Get Picked to Playtest!

There's not quite a day left to apply to playtest GURPS GUN FU. The applications are coming in a bit slower than for projects playtested earlier this year, so if you feel like you never get picked this would be the time to remedy that state of affairs.

Best,
Jeff Wilson

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: I Never Get Picked to Playtest!

I shall now doubly lament the fact that I won't have time to try to playtest what I am sure will be a brilliant book.

(Though, of course, the authors can be doubly assured of getting my money, which they shall richly deserve...)

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I shall now doubly lament the fact that I won't have time to try to playtest what I am sure will be a brilliant book.

(Though, of course, the authors can be doubly assured of getting my money, which they shall richly deserve...)
My casual announcement of the arrival of Gun Fu and my application for the playtest there (complete with a themed session or five to actually, you know, playtest) was met with considerably more enthusiasm among some of my players than that of Low-Tech.

Turns out that during all those years of watching action movies with slow-motion FTV gunfights, playing video games with Bullet Time and taking utterly idiotic risks in role-playing games, these gamers had harboured a secret desire to utterly shoot some dudes up while performing a ludicrous acrobatic stunt.

Who knew?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
RedMattis

Hm, if there is a lack of play-testers I guess I could apply. I have watched quite a number of action movies, and like Gun-Fu in general, so I think I could help out.
I'll send in my application.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
ed_209a

I would have, but I don't meet the $50 E23 requirement.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Joseph R

I didn't apply for the same reason as for Low-Tech...my minimal contribution on the only playtest I did participate in, lead me to believe that the slot is better served by someone more able to "keep up" with the pace of the process.

I'm sure the book will turn out great.
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwitting Pawn View Post
I didn't apply for the same reason as for Low-Tech...my minimal contribution on the only playtest I did participate in, lead me to believe that the slot is better served by someone more able to "keep up" with the pace of the process.

I'm sure the book will turn out great.
Same reason I don't apply. I'm a collector, not a roleplayer. I love reading the books, and I enjoy the orderliness of the system (at least in comparison to others I've seen :-), but I honestly haven't gamed in any system in 16 years.
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
umbros

I applied as soon as I found out, and wait with bated breath! I hope the above means I have a good chance of getting in. Fancy shooting is almost as cool as fancy swordplay in my book, and that's plenty cool.
umbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbros View Post
I applied as soon as I found out, and wait with bated breath! I hope the above means I have a good chance of getting in. Fancy shooting is almost as cool as fancy swordplay in my book, and that's plenty cool.
Fancy shooting is cooler! I loved Wanted. One of my favorite scenes in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is after the poker game when the guy accuses Sundance of cheating and then apologizes. He asks how good Sundance is and the gunslinger shoots off the gamblers side arm and proceeds to shoot the pistol across the floor. Commando is one of my all time favorite films and Lethal Weapon is just fun to watch. Le Femme Nikita is a cinematic masterpiece and of course almost anything by John Woo is good.

I really want to be selected for this playtest.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Fancy shooting is cooler! I loved Wanted. One of my favorite scenes in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is after the poker game when the guy accuses Sundance of cheating and then apologizes. He asks how good Sundance is and the gunslinger shoots off the gamblers side arm and proceeds to shoot the pistol across the floor. Commando is one of my all time favorite films and Lethal Weapon is just fun to watch. Le Femme Nikita is a cinematic masterpiece and of course almost anything by John Woo is good.

I really want to be selected for this playtest.
This breathless excitement is kind of cute. ;)

I hope you're selected.

Really, though? Out of all the brilliant scenes in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, that's the one that blew you away? What about "the next time I say: 'Let's go somewhere like Bolivia', let's go somewhere like Bolivia"? Or "Oh, good. For a moment there I thought we were in trouble".

C'mon, that line combines in one perfect moment the understated genius of two acting greats, one of the most poignant and unspoken bromances of our times (or any time) and enough firepower to send Sly Stallone whimpering for cover!

Tags
playtesting