Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #161
RGTraynor

Default Re: Points value of "regular" people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
(snip)
If you set out to be insulting, it ought not to startle you when people find that you've been. (Which, it seems, you're continuing to be.) Just sayin'.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #162
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Depends. Roughly $2ish is more likely, though they can be had for less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Wonder bread crap is not bread. It's starchy air.
Around here, edible kinds cost between 3 and 4 dollars a loaf.
Yes sorry should have qualified that, £1 here will get you a reasonable sized fresh baked supermarket loaf, or regular sliced.

You get cheap crap for less than £1, and pay more for better.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #163
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Yes sorry should have qualified that, £1 here will get you a reasonable sized fresh baked supermarket loaf, or regular sliced.

You get cheap crap for less than £1, and pay more for better.
It's the same over here. A fresh loaf of basic Italian bread from my supermarket bakery falls squarely in the $1.57 neighborhood, you can pay less for something terrible, and the sky's the limit on the fancy stuff.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #164
acrosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTraynor View Post
If you set out to be insulting, it ought not to startle you when people find that you've been. (Which, it seems, you're continuing to be.) Just sayin'.
Nothing I said was intended to be insulting, and I find it difficult to believe that a reasonable man would find it so. So the problem, Sir, is you. You shouldn't be surprised when people respond when you snap at them like an irritable coot.

Just sayin'.

But, look, clearly what I wrote was somehow misinterpreted by you. Since it isn't your fault that I failed my Writing check I'll gladly take half the blame on that.

Half.

Because it also isn't my fault that you failed your comprehension check, and are apparently very defensive viz. tent stakes and t-bones. And, I must consider myself a "he-man"? Really? Who was being insulting, here, Traynor?

For the record, and in the interested of full understanding, I will now tediously explain what I was trying to communicate:

When I read your description of yourself as an "avid camper" but then you mentioned that you have never been more than five miles from pavement, yes, my first reaction was incredulity. No doubt due to some degree of elitism on my part- as I mentioned, I'm a pretty extreme hiker. But then I thought about it, and did some soul-searching regarding my own snobbishness. For you see, I do sort of buy into Andy Skurka's theory on the dichotomy in backpackers. He thinks that backpacking is a combination of hiking and camping, and various people will enjoy and emphasize one or the other or various degrees of blend of these components. A purist hiker spends almost every waking moment on the trail, making good mileage, and only really uses his tent or tarp to sleep in. A more purist camper on the other hand tends to carry much more equipment so as to establish a very comfortable camp, thus tending not to hike as far or as long, and tends to make day hikes or other activities like fishing or whatnot from this base camp. And then of course as I said others blend to various degrees. Your description of yourself sort of hit the whole point home to me- I'd had a moment of insight, both regarding the validity of the dichotomy model and also of myself regarding assumptions that I had made. And then, finally, I tried to share some of the fun stuff I had done on hikes.

If you go back a read my post you'll see that this is what I was saying. None of this was a disparagement of you.

So, you see, my post to you was an attempt to share my moment of revelation with others.

I apologize if that offended you. As I said, HYOH.

Last edited by acrosome; 12-10-2014 at 05:47 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
average, normal humans, npc, people, point limits, regular, stats