Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: [Powers] Leech with Area Effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
B) Leech 1 (Area Effect 1, +50%; Emanation, -20%; Malediction 1, +100%; Ranged, +40%) [68]
Quote:
Emanation -20%
You may only take this limitation in conjunction with Area Effect (p. 102). It means the effect has no range or Accuracy, but radiates from your body (without affecting you, if the effect is a bad one). This is incompatible with Melee Attack and ranged attack modifiers.
This would seem to suggest you can't take Malediction and Ranged with Emanation.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Can't be that simple. Because then there's no resistance to the ability. Walk into range and immediately lose HP/sec...
There's no resistance roll, but there's still a dodge roll:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers page 165, Emanations
Aftermath: Everyone in the area is “hit” automatically, although they may try to dive for cover (see Dodge and Drop, p. B377).
Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
There's no resistance roll, but there's still a dodge roll:
Okay.

So, how would you go about creating a Leech that attacked everyone in an area centered on the Leecher and was resisted by a quick contest of Will vs. Will.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Okay.

So, how would you go about creating a Leech that attacked everyone in an area centered on the Leecher and was resisted by a quick contest of Will vs. Will.
Psionic powers page 20:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requires (Attribute) Roll
If your ability dictates you not only to make an attribute roll, but also gives the subject a chance to resist it with a Quick Contest, add an additional -10% to the value of this limitation. For example, Invisibility (Requires IQ vs. Perception Roll, -20%) would require you to win a Quick Contest of your IQ vs. the Perception of anyone who might see you.
EDIT: In this case they'd have the option of Dodge and Drop, and if that failed they'd have the option of Resisting.

Edit 2:
In terms of power:

A) Leech 1 (Malediction +200%; Long range +50%; Ranged, +40%) [98]
If you can sense their location relative to yours, you can snipe them at any distance.
vs
B) Leech 1 (Area Effect 6, +300%; Emanation, -20%; Selective Area +20%) [100]
You can selectively target anyone within 64 yards.

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 01-13-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
cccwebs

Quote:
This would seem to suggest you can't take Malediction and Ranged with Emanation.
This has been adjusted in further supplements. Apparently, TPTB decided that a combination of Ranged, Malediction, Area Effect, and Emanation (as well as Aura) has been deemed acceptable.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
This has been adjusted in further supplements. Apparently, TPTB decided that a combination of Ranged, Malediction, Area Effect, and Emanation (as well as Aura) has been deemed acceptable.
Could you give me an example, I've checked Powers, Supers and Psionic Powers and I can't can find what you suggest.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Could you give me an example, I've checked Powers, Supers and Psionic Powers and I can't can find what you suggest.
Well there is Kromm's Aura, Area Effect, Melee, combo for 'counter strikes'
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #18
naloth

IIRC, the restriction that Aura requires melee and cannot have Area was lifted in Powers under Innate Attack to represent someone that has an Aura with a range much longer than touch.

Emanation is a range modifier itself that makes the effective range zero. What would it do if you don't have to radiate the area from yourself?
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #19
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
I don't know about ranged and leech, but Malediction, Area Effect and Emanation are used in DF11 for the bard songs, and Malediction, Area Effect and Aura were used in my Auras of Power article.

Personally, I think that, for leech, you need either Ranged+Emanation, or Aura (without Melee Attack, since it's already melee)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #20
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Personally, I think that, for leech, you need either Ranged+Emanation, or Aura (without Melee Attack, since it's already melee)
I'm pretty sure it's Leech isn't intended to be an Area power. It's intended to allow you to take from one target at a time and only if you have successfully grappled or can win a quick contest (malediction) against that target. To do the damage field that also heals the user by RAW you should link and Innate Attack and Leech so that you can target one person in your area to recover from while the rest take damage as normal.

As a GM, I don't see the need to be quite this restrictive as long as you're applying normal countermeasures (DR, active defenses that seem reasonable, etc.). I don't see a problem with creating a Vampiric Field using Leech w/just Area, Emanation, and any armor penetrating modifiers you want.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
area effect leech, emanation, ranged