Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Gurps SOE Weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
So it couldn't be traced back to the British. Which, admittedly is odd when you consider that there was a war on.
It's also not like you need manufacturer marks to know where a weapon with only one notable source comes from. It's not like an AK-47 with dozens of sources that aren't even all friendly with one another..
Old 12-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #12
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

GURPS WWII Hand of Steel will cover most of what you want but don't forget GURPS Martial Arts Fairbairn Close Combat Training. It includes a lot of hand-to-hand fighting used in WWII plus the Commando template. Both are good sources and require only a little conversion work for 4e.
safisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #13
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's also not like you need manufacturer marks to know where a weapon with only one notable source comes from. It's not like an AK-47 with dozens of sources that aren't even all friendly with one another..
Interestingly, the Germans did make a knock-off of the Sten, accurate to the level of copying the inspectors stamps ... which seems needlessly complicated (and it's not like they have the excuse of the Khyber Pass gusnmiths who might be supposed to not fully understand the purpose and meaning of the stamps).

The DeLisle is an SOE weapon that gets nothing like enough love - allegedly the quietest functioning firearm ever made (although the GURPS stats I remember seeing for it were more conservative).
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #14
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
GURPS WWII Hand of Steel will cover most of what you want but don't forget GURPS Martial Arts Fairbairn Close Combat Training. It includes a lot of hand-to-hand fighting used in WWII plus the Commando template. Both are good sources and require only a little conversion work for 4e.
Uh, isn't the latter a 4e and thus wouldn't require any conversion for 4e?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #15
Tessen

Yeah that's right Hand of Steel is 3rd edition , I don't know if anyone has converted it to 4th or how hard it is to do.
Tessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #16
Michele

I'm not so sure the point of producing these special guns without markings just was to prevent the identification of the country producing it. Serial numbers and manufacturer's markings were used by intelligence services to glean intelligence. The factory or factories that produced the gun, a ballpark figure of the numbers produced, and so on. Nothing transcendental, but somewhat useful anyway.
When it came to the Allies, who were the ones carrying out a strategic bombing campaign, these small details might have boiled down to whether or not a certain German town with a certain factory would be unlucky enough to end up on a list of targets.
Guns intended to be dropped in occupied territory are by definition more likely than other guns to end up in the hands of the enemy intelligence.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #17
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
So it couldn't be traced back to the British. Which, admittedly is odd when you consider that there was a war on.
Yeah, that is what I thought. It sounds kind of like finding out that there is gambling going on at Rick's Cafe.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #18
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessen View Post
Yeah that's right Hand of Steel is 3rd edition , I don't know if anyone has converted it to 4th or how hard it is to do.
For GURPS WWII a lot of the templates are already converted here:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=81962
The equipment in 4e stats is likely mostly in High-Tech 4e, or one of the 4e weapons supplements by Hans. I'm sure you can get help here for those that you need that aren't in High-Tech. Should be easy enough.
safisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:42 PM   #19
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
Speaking of that the Fairbairn dirk was widely used in Allied special forces. It is another weapon to think of.
Old 12-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #20
jason taylor

One story from the OSS was one guy in China who had a bunch of plastique disguised as dough (which when cooked apparently actually looked like pretty good bread).

According to the tale his Chinese companion ate some and got a bad bit of indigestion. Fortunately he survived and never did that again.

Tags
high-tech, tactical shooting