Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #21
Jaware

Default Re: Looking for a way to make a "turns into area cloud" type effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Nope, can't remove the resistance roll, and can't Imbue an Innate Attack. The GM can always use "roll once for everybody" or "everybody rolls a 12" for groups of opponents, though.
Crap. Maybe I could run some tests to see if it makes a huge game breaking difference. Cause I reeeeeaallllyyyy don't want to roll. It's going to be more of a cinematic game anyway.

If I can't, I can always treat it like a spell, cause I know you can imbue a spell.

I'm the GM of the game by the way, I don't remember if I mentioned that or not.

That's what I have for the other ability, is I built it just like a spell, so it works just like it. Then I put the imbue on it. Along with an (unusual background) advantage in order to explain why it would be able to work that way.

Quote:
Diffuse with Swarm still allows others to pass through you. It's your choice of putting it on the main character sheet, or, buying an Alternate Form with it.
That works.

I was planning on making an alternate form, with this stuff on it, that way it would be castable as a magic pseudo spell.

Last edited by Jaware; 03-15-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #22
Jaware

Quote:
Malediction rolls vs HT, not Will. Without Malediction, Leech requires grappling, which is not exactly something a cloud of mist is good at.
Say I wanted to make said character into a cloud of poison instead.

How would I go about doing that?

Would I model it just like the "body of fire" template and just drag and drop area of effect onto it?

Like for instance instead of using burning attack, usinging toxic attack at a 1 pt of damage level. Then putting aura, melee attack reach C, Area Effect, Conatct agent, and always on?

Would that effectively make a character into a literal could of poison? Or would that be a person standing in a cloud of poison?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #23
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
Say I wanted to make said character into a cloud of poison instead.

How would I go about doing that?

Would I model it just like the "body of fire" template and just drag and drop area of effect onto it?

Like for instance instead of using burning attack, usinging toxic attack at a 1 pt of damage level. Then putting aura, melee attack reach C, Area Effect, Conatct agent, and always on?

Would that effectively make a character into a literal could of poison? Or would that be a person standing in a cloud of poison?
Throw in Swarm or an increased SM if you want to affect multiple hexes. Skip the Area Effect though; if your Diffuse self occupies 7 hexes, those 7 hexes are affected by your Aura anyway. Area Effect would extend the aura to be wider than yourself, and change Contact Agent from a limitation to a fairly expensive enhancement.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #24
Jaware

Quote:
Throw in Swarm or an increased SM if you want to affect multiple hexes. Skip the Area Effect though; if your Diffuse self occupies 7 hexes, those 7 hexes are affected by your Aura anyway. Area Effect would extend the aura to be wider than yourself, and change Contact Agent from a limitation to a fairly expensive enhancement.
Yea I didn't think about that.... So that would work.

Yea contact agent for aura or cone costs like some +150% for aura or jet etc.

One question though. How would I make the diffuse form take 7 hexes?

I'm a little fuzz on how the spreading out and coming back together works. And I a also curious on how it would work about the movement. Like could the 7 hexes move all serpentine like or would they be stuck in the range 2 center hex and 1 hex in all directions?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #25
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Yea I didn't think about that.... So that would work.

Yea contact agent for aura or cone costs like some +150% for aura or jet etc.

One question though. How would I make the diffuse form take 7 hexes?

I'm a little fuzz on how the spreading out and coming back together works. And I a also curious on how it would work about the movement. Like could the 7 hexes move all serpentine like or would they be stuck in the range 2 center hex and 1 hex in all directions?
If you have Swarm on your Diffuse, you can occupy 7 hexes. Whether you make yourself into a line, a loop, or a blob doesn't really matter, and you can expand or contract at a rate equal to your Move score. If you can't expand/contract, you should get a bit of a discount for that.

And Aura does NOT increase the cost of Contact Agent; only Area Effect and Cone do that.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #26
Jaware

Quote:
If you have Swarm on your Diffuse, you can occupy 7 hexes. Whether you make yourself into a line, a loop, or a blob doesn't really matter, and you can expand or contract at a rate equal to your Move score. If you can't expand/contract, you should get a bit of a discount for that.

And Aura does NOT increase the cost of Contact Agent; only Area Effect and Cone do that.
Alright that cleared a bunch up. Could you say again how I would go about making the diffuse swarm operate in that way? Once more all at the same time that way I can make sure I have it all in one place.

Alright cone I was certain of, I didn't remember if it was aura or Area effect that did it.

I think +150% sounds good for that wouldn't you agree?
Old 03-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #27
Jaware

Quote:
Malediction rolls vs HT, not Will. Without Malediction, Leech requires grappling, which is not exactly something a cloud of mist is good at.
In powers it says malidiction for leech rolls vs. will.

It also turns into a ranged attack that you have to use a concentrate maneuver to activate. Not by touching them with an aura.

Or is there more in some other book?
Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #28
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Alright that cleared a bunch up. Could you say again how I would go about making the diffuse swarm operate in that way? Once more all at the same time that way I can make sure I have it all in one place.

Alright cone I was certain of, I didn't remember if it was aura or Area effect that did it.

I think +150% sounds good for that wouldn't you agree?
You want Diffuse with Swarm (+80%). Then, put your 1pt Toxic Attack as an Aura with Contact Agent. If you pay +150%, then only Sealed DR will protect. Although, a toxic gas cloud does seem like more of a Respiratory Agent than a Contact one.

Quote:
In powers it says malidiction for leech rolls vs. will.

It also turns into a ranged attack that you have to use a concentrate maneuver to activate. Not by touching them with an aura.

Or is there more in some other book?
You know, I just don't see Malediction on things that aren't Affliction often enough to think about that part.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #29
Jaware

Quote:
You want Diffuse with Swarm (+80%). Then, put your 1pt Toxic Attack as an Aura with Contact Agent. If you pay +150%, then only Sealed DR will protect. Although, a toxic gas cloud does seem like more of a Respiratory Agent than a Contact one.
I was thinking sort of like a "nerve gas" like cloud instead of a tear gas like cloud. But yea, that sounds about right to me.

Quote:
You know, I just don't see Malediction on things that aren't Affliction often enough to think about that part.
It's odd. I don't mind paying the points to make it work like I want. But I can't seem to find out how to make the modifiers to make it do so....

I would think that it being a contact agent and being surrounded around something it would be pseudo grappled. Basically without anything that grappling does like holding them and pinning them etc etc etc.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #30
Nereidalbel

Quote:
I would think that it being a contact agent and being surrounded around something it would be pseudo grappled. Basically without anything that grappling does like holding them and pinning them etc etc etc.
Leech is done at the start of your turn. Thus, only an enemy that is either restrained in some way, trapped in a tiny room, or, just incredibly stupid is going to stand in the Leech cloud, anyway. The toxic death cloud, on the other hand, is as soon as their turn starts (they get to attempt a Dodge by Stepping out of the gas before it affects them).

Tags
advantages, aoe, help needed, leech, powers