Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
Ragabash Moon

Default Involuntary no-benefit Leech?

So, how would you design a power like Leech that drained health (possibly permanently!) but that was involuntary and gave no benefit to the user? Kind of like what Rogue in Marvel has, only not beneficial like it is for her?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: Involuntary no-benefit Leech?

Surely that's just an attack, probably with Aura, Always On, Area Effect and Malediction.

I think some on the forums suggested that Leech was very much like an Innate Attack with Absorption (from DR) to convert the damage to Healing or similar.

Edit: Yes here, not necessarily a good idea, but I think it demonstrates the principle.

Last edited by SCAR; 02-13-2014 at 02:57 AM.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Surely that's just an attack, probably with Aura and Malediction.
Well, more contact agent is what I was thinking... avoid hurting anyone by avoiding touching them. So like a damaging touch attack with uncontrollable and always on? In this case, would it be disad version of always on or advantage?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
Well, more contact agent is what I was thinking... avoid hurting anyone by avoiding touching them. So like a damaging touch attack with uncontrollable and always on? In this case, would it be disad version of always on or advantage?
I'd say it was the -10% version of Always On (social or cosmetic) - see B110
See also Aura and the Body of Fire meta-trait (B262) which has an Always On, Aura, Burning Attack!

I don't think Uncontrollable would be appropriate though.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:42 AM   #5
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
I'd say it was the -10% version of Always On (social or cosmetic) - see B110
See also Aura and the Body of Fire meta-trait (B262) which has an Always On, Aura, Burning Attack!

I don't think Uncontrollable would be appropriate though.
Hmm yeah though I was looking through my books and thinking about what I want to do for this alien species and the problem with Leech is it's per second... I'd like for it to be more like per minute or even per hour, but it seems Takes Extra Time wouldn't work as written...

Basically, I don't want the species to have to avoid all contact, just be careful how LONG they maintain contact...

Also was looking at Steal Youth might be interesting (and it has the permanent option built in if you takes the higher value), but again a month per second is a bit extreme if it's an "always on, contact agent" type ability. Part of the reason that would be interesting is that they are unaging... so maybe they aren't REALLY unaging after all, but they sap a few months here a few months there and live forever... kind of like a succubus :O

Old 02-13-2014, 04:13 AM   #6
Nereidalbel

Toxic Attack 1; Melee C, Aura, Only Does 1 Point, Exposure Time (duration), Always On, Contact Agent.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:26 AM   #7
Ragabash Moon

Hmm thanks actually I ended up thinking it would be better/easier just give them a Steal Youth leech ability with uncontrollable (sort of, it does hurt people, so it fits as destructive i think)... since they are unaging they get no benefit from it, but... :P Points for concept haha

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 02-13-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
Hmm thanks actually I ended up thinking it would be better/easier just give them a Steal Youth leech ability with uncontrollable (sort of, it does hurt people, so it fits as destructive i think)... since they are unaging they get no benefit from it, but... :P Points for concept haha
Is this for a template that player characters might use? If so, then that Leech is probably going to look over-priced.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
gilbertocarlos

Isn't that affliction with permanent?
Old 02-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
Isn't that affliction with permanent?
Leech with Steal Youth *is* permanent. Granted, the cheaper version lets you get your youth back if the Leech dies, but, that's just the non-Cosmic version of Permanent.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leech, steal youth, succubus