Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-13-2015, 05:52 AM   #11
Wavefunction

Default Re: Leech as a Follow-Up on melee attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Remember: If you can hit them for 4d+7 Cut, they can also hit you for 4d+7 Cut. If Innate Attacks are available, you're going to need that healing just to get past the ranged death bolts chunking away at you, and both options still allow targets to make active defenses against the weapon itself.
Can I give you my GM's address? You can go round and talk all this through with him...

In all seriousness I can see your point, however it should also be pointed out that my character is wearing DR 15, Hardened 1 armour, and can hit up to 4 times per turn. With that much healing he'd be virtually unstoppable against all but the strongest/armour dividing opponents. And I want a degree of risk involved.

Plus Leech provides a greater degree of customisation than Vampiric Weapon, like at some point I might want him to acquire the ability to steal ST as well as HP from his victims, or FP with a Hazard, or maybe even youth. It just provides a few more options.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #12
Nereidalbel

And the guy with Fulminating Weapon is going to tear you a new one with his 3d "treat your armor as DR1 so HAH!" attacks. Vampiric Weapon also has that ability to recharge your FP or ER, if your skill is high enough to soak the penalty.

With Leech, you do know you're going to have to buy another copy of it for each effect, right? Even as Alternative Abilities, it's going to get really expensive, really fast. That's the real downside I see to going that route :/
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:16 AM   #13
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
And the guy with Fulminating Weapon is going to tear you a new one with his 3d "treat your armor as DR1 so HAH!" attacks. Vampiric Weapon also has that ability to recharge your FP or ER, if your skill is high enough to soak the penalty.

With Leech, you do know you're going to have to buy another copy of it for each effect, right? Even as Alternative Abilities, it's going to get really expensive, really fast. That's the real downside I see to going that route :/
Yeah, but I can't be immune to everything. That's not the goal, the goal is to give myself just a bit more survivability against enemies who can pierce my armour, otherwise it becomes a competition of how many ways can the GM figure out to actually hurt me that I can't figure out a way to counter. That's no fun. It's good to be vulnerable to some things. Guys with Fulminating Weapon will not be common (or exist since my GM doesn't use Imbuements).

And yeah, I know I'd have to buy a different copy, and yes it'd be expensive, the point is that it means I can do stuff that I simply couldn't with Imbuements, so it's good to know how to do it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Imbuements, but this is something that I think is better achieved through different means.
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #14
Nereidalbel

Heh, sounds like a campaign I could get into, if your GM wants a challenge on making enemies not die before they ever get a chance to attack :)
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
follow-up, leech